Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Lady told me to take my non-alcoholic drink out of the meeting?

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why would someone rip me a new @ss because I drink Bloody Mary Mix? Remember, I didn't announce what it was, she asked and the first response I gave her, I called it something else and finally told her when she didn't get it.

I was sitting next to a lady and she said

Her: what is that?
Me: jacked up tomato juice
Her: what do you mean?
Me: its bloody mary mix with a few teaspoons of tabasco with diced up black olives-pearl onions and celery.
Her: You just shouldn't be in here with that.
Me: There is no alcohol in it
Her: you still shouldn't be

? seriously ? I realize it may sound disgusting, but I like my food so hot that it burns my taste buds off and for those of you that have tried BMary mix, it is NOTHING like V8, it's got onion/garlic and a ton of other stuff in it...which is why I like it, I liken it to a super spicy tomato soup. I pretty much mix it up, add the veggies, tobasco, pepper, warm it up and drink it like soup out of a thermas
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Could be triggering, I guess. A meeting only lasts about an hour. Surely you can wait to have your jacked up whatever until after that, right?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Could be triggering, I guess. A meeting only lasts about an hour. Surely you can wait to have your jacked up whatever until after that, right?

Of coarse I could wait, but I was in a rush, hadn't eaten yet, I was thirsty so I brought it with. A good 70% of people in there had colas, water or juice.

People used to drink Jack and Coke, does that mean Coke should be banned from meetings too? I just found it to be rude to single me out when everything everyone else was drinking could be "mixers" for drinks too.

Thats all, just curious.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

what was the meeting topic?
Did you share?
Anyone say anything that resonated with you?

At noon meetings...people bring in food so I don't see a reason for you to get upset.
I do find it a distraction but that's on me.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey Oxyious! Yeah. Okay, so you didn't think it would be a problem for anyone, but this particular woman felt otherwise and made a judgment call. It could have been that it bothered her as an individual, experience might have suggested that it could be uncomfortable for others, or she could have been entirely wrong - there is really no way to know what she was thinking. You could always ask her, if you do it with kindness, and she might be able to tell you why she thought to speak with you.

Whether or not you agree, perhaps it's best to accept that it happened, it's over, forgive her, forgive yourself, and try to be extra considerate in the rooms -- they're full of addicts and alcoholics who have been (or still are) very ill, but are often trying their best, just like you and me -- and putting spiritual principles like tolerance, kindliness, humility, selflessness, acceptance and consideration for others into our lives is really, really good for our recovery too.

It's really easy to pick up resentments, sometimes especially in early recovery, and the rooms are no exception to that. Try not to let your resentments get the best of you -- the anger just isn't worth it. Sometimes easier said than done, but have faith that it's the direction you'll find. If you believe in an HP you can ask them for help to direct you. You're doing good! Let the positive stuff shine in. Keep up the good work and keep going back!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oxyious - what the hell. It was a T juice. If we all worried about other people's triggers we would worry all day - so you feel like a T juice well you jolly well have one.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by franie View Post
Oxyious - what the hell. It was a T juice. If we all worried about other people's triggers we would worry all day - so you feel like a T juice well you jolly well have one.

Thanks. I'll just avoid her and keep it in a NON see-through bottle. I don't know if you like spicy and tomatos... that stuff is soooo good. Anyhow, I'm an N/A person... but because the facility only has two N/A meetings a day, the rest are AA, I attend an AA meeting when I can't make it to the N/A meeting. I don't even know if I'm an alcoholic... I'm addicted to cigarettes and RX pain meds.

IDK if drinking 3 or 4 times a month and 2 of 4 of those times, you drink too much and don't realize it until you're 3 sheets to the wind constitutes an alcoholic. ALL I am certain of is my dependence on medication to feel normal. (Since the detox, some days, I could handle it.... others I curled up in tears and wished I would just drop dead already. (I'm not suicidal) The pain is THAT bad when it acts up.) There is such a fine line between dependency and addiction that they melt into each other.

I've got an upcoming surgery, only a sadist would do it without post-op meds, I am so damn confused. I also have to finish my testing for Cancer (girl parts) but it isn't looking good due to my medical history.

I just wanna scream at the top of my lungs. ANYone PM me if you can/have the time to chat about recovery using a messing service *unless that is not allowed here, disregard*
Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
what was the meeting topic?
Did you share?
Anyone say anything that resonated with you?

At noon meetings...people bring in food so I don't see a reason for you to get upset.
I do find it a distraction but that's on me.
No, I did not share. I'm very new to meetings so I'm not sure of the proper title, but there was a long table in front of us, (a panel) and 3 of the 4 people there told their stories of tragedy and eventually victory. The words I exchanged with this person was when we were waiting for the meeting to begin while everyone was grabbing cookies and getting settled. AND yes, one of the guys told a story of how he has accidentally (while sober) ran over a young boy and killed him and that is when he started drinking... and for 20 years tortured himself over that incident. I've never harmed another human being physically, but the pain in his face and yes, really ... it's burned in to my brain. I can remember what half sparked me into to abusing my DOC, (it was a two part poor decison feuled by a situation specific incident in my life followed by my inability to take my medication as prescribedbecause I wanted the NUMBNESS ) so I could make the connect with this particular speaker.

* Specific details altered to protect the ANON part of NA and AA, but the story is real, minor and insignifigant details changed.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a V8! If eating/drinking is allowed and others are drinking colas et al, and eating, I can't see a problem with what you had.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feal ua on the numb ness realty is some times {alwas} bloody hard
learning to deal with it .even harder ....
but at least your out there trying . you shud be proud of youself
i wish i was out there two.....
Old 06-25-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not again

Or perhaps we should be mindful of others feelings and do our best to take them into consideration. Remember expressions of loving kindness do us all good. I vote for the opaque container

Larry

PS sometimes it's only a matter of perspective. same answer, different angle.

PPS and don't sit next to her, you know she'll ask, whatcha got?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Just a guess, but I think once you mentioned "Bloody Mary Mix" inside an AA meeting and because its direct association to vodka. There's the problem. And probably a problem for the person next to you.

Maybe next time no mention of product brand names, along with an opaque container and finally mention just one of the key ingredients like 'spicy tomato juice'. Then you'll be good to go.

Anywho, live and let live and let it go.