Is it her way of having some control?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it her way of having some control?

Just curious...my mother is VERY particular about every little detail of her home. To the point where I once made a drive of thousands of miles so my kids and my parents could see each other and have a relationship. She didn't greet us with any love or affection, but literally, before we were even out of the car, with absolutely minute details of where each and every item needed to be put.

She is not the alcoholic. My father is.

I'm just wondering if this is her way of having some control in her life, when she clearly has none with him.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mother is the same way, although my dad isn't alcoholic. He's an untreated ACOA.

It's not a "home" to me because she is so nitpicky about where everything belongs.

Last month was the first time I had been there in probably 10+ years, and I was just there for a class reunion. I wasn't at the folks' for more than an hour.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My mother is an alcoholic and she is totally enamored with her house. She spends thousands of dollars on it every year, things that she does not need to do.

She is 85, her BF just died,so, she is totally alone. Her home is a 2 story home in the mountains, you have to be a billy goat to get inside, it is not a senior friendly home, yet she refuses to sell it. My brother and I are 750 miles away. I truely believe that she is addicted to the house.

It may be a control issue, I hate staying there, everything has to be planned to the nats eyelash, and if coarse, it must be her way.