Notices

Ready to quit painkillers need help/ support

Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to quit painkillers need help/ support

I have been taking roxicet 30mg for around a year. I take 15-60mg a day, sometimes a little more on weekends and less during week.

I recently noticed if I went a couple days without I would feel sick and realized it was withdrawl.

I tried to quit and made it 4 days and relapsed. I really want to quit and am trying again. My gf is very supportive. I cannot miss work making cold turkey hard... I was sleeping at work and barely functional last time I tried and do not want to be fired.

I was thinking of trying to start Wednesday (today) so that I can use the weekend time to rest and recover. Last time the insomnia and sweats were brutal so I would like to try a weekend. I also thought about giving my gf quarters of pills (7.5mg) to ration to me so I can ween off.

Any ideas and experience is appreciated. Love and god's blessings to all!

D
Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no experience with what you are planning to do....I can tell you that I took nothing to ease my WD symtoms except asprin.
the 3 days of my de toxing from alcohol...there was no way I could have left my apartment ..certainly working was not going to happen.

welcome....hope this will be your time for a healthier sober life.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, here is my experience.....

I was taking 30 to 40 10mg percs a day for about two and a half years. I finally got so discussed with myself that I quit cold-turkey on the Friday before memorial day. My plan was to tell everyone I had the flu. As it turned out. I was flat on my back sick the entire three-day weekend and had to call in sick at work the following Tuesday and Wednesday. It was all I could do to drag myself in on Thursday. Friday was hell too. Then spent the weekend hiking uphill trying to sweat out the toxins. It felt really good to get some exercise.

I'm on day 19 of my recovery now and other then problems sleeping I feel pretty normal.

The withdrawal was hell. I won't lie. Little or no sleep for a week. Diarrhea for two weeks. I lost 10 pounds in three days.
I will also say it was totally worth it. I feel so much better now. I used to walk around and see everyone else and think "I wonder what it's like to be normal", or " how can all these people function without drugs" now I'm one of "those" people and I am sooooo happy!

Believe it or not, the single thing that helped the most was prayer. I prayed pretty much non-stop for the first two days of withdrawal. It really felt like Christ was holding my hand and helping me through it. You might not be as religious, but it made all the difference to me. I just kept thinking, this is miserable, but what Christ went through was a thousand time worse. With his help I'll make. And it made me feel a lot better. For what it's worth......
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am very spiritual and lately have been looking to god more. I feel like I was ignoring that part of myself when I was using, and that this is an opprotunity to look to god for help, and love myself and family members.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, NH, congratulations on the decision and the success so far. Hang on, and the sleep problems will get better.

Even though I am not religious, I respect that in others. Wherever you can find strength in recovery is what you should do.

I like that you shared your journey here, and how you are finding a way to make this work for you. There are a lot of people who read here that will find strength in your words.

FT
Old 06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im on Day 7 from years of opiate abuse ..i used to do those Roxicets in FL .. when i went back to CA it was Heroin and OC. Anyway .. Ive detoxed this a million times. Your life will pretty much be hell for 2 weeks. Listen to music .. blast it in your ears even if you dont want to. Force yourself to exercise. Meditation is necessary. Read the book "The power of now". It is helping me.

Im not big on the whole suboxone or methadone .. ive done that too. CTurkey is the only way in my book. Dont take Tramadol. For me the Ringing in the ears and WD was as bad as any i have experienced.

Just know no matter what if you dont go back it will only get better !

Good luck. I need it too.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Junky,

Welcome.

I, too, like Tolle's books. My favorite is "A New Earth". You can get the audio version for free on line, and maybe the book, too. Tolle reads the text himself, and his voice is very hypnotic. I've missed my stop on the bus many times while listening to him.

You have some good thoughts to share, and I hope we hear more from you.

FT
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Junky

Feel free to start your own thread and share a little more about yourself, if you like
D
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Isn't it crazy what we put ourselves through..
I remember the last habit I really had to kick hard was methadone ..C/T..and I had to work the front desk at a receptionist job I had. I will just never forget the superhuman strength I had to dig up to allow myself to get through the day...I remeber just being glad I could sit at my desk and not have to move..because I don't think I could of...I couldn't miss anymore work and HAD to be there..it was hell..
If you can take the days off to do it..go for it..shake scream and sweat it out..whatever gets ya through it...I had people that encouraged me through it..never would of made it without this forum here too..I posted here all the time to get me through the worst of it.thank god there are people out here who give a rats about us suffering addicts. I care about ya and hope you will keep posting..perfection is not required!!!
love norty