Notices

Restless Legs ETC Sleep

Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Restless Legs ETC Sleep

Can anyone tell me how long this RLS and restlessness lasts at night?
Yesterday was day one (because I took Tramadol from former sponsor 1 each day sat, sun and mon then researched it and saw posts here and found out it IS narcotic) Anyway..Last night was TOUGH. Napped yesterday afternoon ok on my anti anxiety meds but last night 10pm husband yelled at me to stop moving around and kickin legs. Got up and got on SMALL couch in the basement of mother-in-law's where we live. Tossed, turned, slept until 2:30 got up and went back into the bed. Was ok (I think no complaints from DH) woke up at 4:30 and got up. Need to know how many nights this goes on??? Eating bananas cuz I read the potassium helps with RLS. Not sure it was true cuz felt no relief. Thanks for any info. God Willing the end of the day will be completed day 2!! Kicking alcohol was NOTHING like this. Had no desire once I stopped and no withdrawls (but or the grace of God...)
Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found it bothered me for the first four days and then just a bit for the remained of the first week. But, the first few days were the worst for restlessness when trying to sleep. Like you, I was up at 4:30 a few nights the first week. I just looked at it as having to pay the piper. But, that doesn't mean it's any fun. You'll get through it, just hang in there.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hi justbme:

I was bothered by those for about 3 weeks. Little helps, but some docs prescribe non narcotic stuff for it, which some say helps, some say doesn't.

Louis is right. Some of it is just "paying the piper." It does go away, but is maddening because a little rest would help more than anything right now, and this will keep you from getting it.

Hang in there. You are doing what you need to do to recover, and that is awesome.

FT
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rls

Hi - I wish I had better news also and while we are all different I have been having RLS for about 8 nights; starting about the day after I took my last opiate (luckily I have a nice couch to go to when I get booted from bed). Strangely, it has been worse the last two nights. I have tried neurontin and trazodone but I still get it. I want to get out and exercise but all day I feel fatigued and think I'll be able to sleep ok and then I get maybe 3-4 hours of sleep. It sucks but it has to stop sometime. I just believe the end will justify the means.

Good Luck
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Last time I made it to day 5 and at that point the sleeplessness was worse than nausea or anything. The mild depression I Could overcome but it made it worse being tired at work everyday. I have heard some people get better sleep in 4-7 days, other have said a month + after physical withdrawl.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

there are some good common sense tips on this page - the whole website is pretty good actually but it is written for the general public, not people in recovery, so keep that in mind

http://www.rls.org.au/faq.php#27
D
Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR D28rdy4help

D
Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I am hoping to use this weekend as a springboard... Monday will be my 5th day clean, I am hoping to get through much of the physical pain over the weekend. I don't think it will be easy but at the same time I just look at it as passing time and remind myself I will succeed and this is something I need and wan for myself no matter what. I find this to be a good time to slow down and appreciate god, life, and my loved ones. I have found that prescription anxiety meds from my doc help big time to make it possible to sleep at all but like you guys I am up at 4am flopping around.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, congrats on your decision to stop the opiates, presuming that is your DOC.

The first week is the hardest, so push through the next few days as best you can. The insomnia, racing crazy thoughts, restless legs/restless body, stomach cramps, and the like, are all the commonest issues in the first week.

Just figure on feeling like crap for a week, made worse by not being able to sleep. If you anticipate that, and plan for it by not doing too much and pushing fluids, you will be so much better off than if you expected to be functional and "normal."

Hang on tight for the ride, and keep going.

Ft
Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you think it is unrealistic to work on day 5+? I am hoping I can! If not maybe I need to plan time off in advance... I would really like to see if a 4 day jump and lots of sleep will do it :-).
Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Work?

Originally Posted by D28rdy4help View Post
Do you think it is unrealistic to work on day 5+? I am hoping I can! If not maybe I need to plan time off in advance... I would really like to see if a 4 day jump and lots of sleep will do it :-).
Hey there.

Well, let's just say that I could not do it.

One of the problems will be the lack of sleep, so if I were you, I would plan to take the first week off. Plan to be unable to sleep, and plan to feel like you haven't slept. You know that rummy feeling you get when you have slept for a couple of days, and multiply that accordingly.

The other part is the lack of energy. With no sleep and no energy, it is really difficult to do ANYTHING. For me, even sitting at a computer all day was too much the first week.

The second week, I was back at my desk, but I still felt like crap. But I was able to work the 2nd week. I just played "sick" at work, told everyone I had the flu, and everyone was happy to back off.

Week three, I had to attend a 3 day conference where I was on my feet ALL DAY, making clinical decisions and performing calculations. Lordy, was that tough. But I got through it.

So, you know your resilience better than anyone. Just cut yourself a break if you can, hydrate like hell, and rent some movies to watch. Leave your nightclothes on or wear sweats, and flood yourself with herb tea, soups, soft foods, and don't even comb your hair. Although, I must say, a hot shower or hot bath does wonders in the first few days.

FT
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you think it is unrealistic to work on day 5+? I am hoping I can! If not maybe I need to plan time off in advance... I would really like to see if a 4 day jump and lots of sleep will do it :-). You are correct, I was abusing opiates. I finally realized it is making me moody and broke! Time for change god help me.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your last post pretty much answered it for me. I wish I could get out of work! I myself also have tried taper without success. For now I am just going to get through today and hope for the best!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FT

If you have to work, then put your body through the paces it has to be put through to show up, and pretend you are working! Fake it!

Faking it through the day is what you have to do when you have no other choice!

I remember YEARS ago, coming to work with a HORRIBLE hangover and trying to function. Ha! You know, I think withdrawal almost felt like the worst hangover I ever had in my life, only it lasted a LOT longer.

Just get through the day, warn everyone you are sick, and maybe they will back off like in my case.

Hydrate lots, too. Coffee made it worse for me, but I could handle green tea.

FT