Notices

Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all,

After a hiatus I'm back around these parts again. Long story short:
  • Struggled for the last year personally but have quit drinking / smoking for a little over a week now without much temptation (my issues are deeper-rooted than pure substance abuse, as I suppose most peoples' are)
  • Due to work-related / heavy familial stress, I'm looking for a therapist to deal with depression / anxiety issues / whatever else is going on in my head
  • Should I go for a Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

I'm wary about starting with a Psychiatrist as I'd rather identify the core issues with me and utilize natural thought processes / develop coping mechanisms to deal with life rather than being immediately inundated with medication. I'm not opposed to medication as a solution, but given the stress and hours associated with my current job I can't afford to be "off my game" due to medication unless absolutely necessary. Medical leave could be an option at some point if drugs end up being the only way to go and I need to become acclimated to them.

As such, I'm leaning towards seeing a Psychologist - but does anyone have any advice how to proceed? Is there a typical length to determine how long "drug free therapy" should go without improvement before I try some medication? Any advice on how to choose a therapist if one has options in the area?

I've been feeling really lonely on this front lately so I'd appreciate any advice you could provide.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I think usually if you start out with a psychologist, they will tell you to look into a psychiatrist if they think medication will help or that only talk therapy doesn't seem to be working for you. Unless they're evil and purely into their profession for the money, they will let you know if you need additional help . Personally, I would start off with a psychologist just because my view is the less medication I'm on the more "me" I am (and the less money flies out of my pocket)... but if the psych recommends medication for me, then I'll follow their advice. This is just how I see it for me, I don't know about your situation so it's hard to say, only you can really decide on what you need.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I utilize both a psychiatrist and a therapist. This combination works well for me as it is a holistic approach to my healthcare because the medical system I am in allows both people to share notes regarding my therapy. I think that it is key for a prescriber to know what is going on in therapy so they know whether or not the medications they prescribe are actually having a desired effect. Not all psychiatrists are about the money or pushing drugs. The best way to avoid that situation is to be an advocate or partner in your healthcare. If I feel I am taking too many meds I speak to my doctor about it and we discuss the changes I feel I need and the changes he feels should be made. Then after a discussion we make the changes. If I find I don't like a certain med I can email my doctor and get a response back that same day with an answer of stop taking it, keep taking it, or let's change it. Recently the dose of one of my meds was increased and it caused serious side effects, it was nice to be able to get a prompt response from my doctor to reduce the dose which took care of the side effects. Also I am asked each time I go into my therapist at the beginning and end of each session to grade my therapist on several points such as are my needs being met, is she addressing the things I want addressed, is she a good fit for me, etc....

I went for years with just seeing a psychiatrist and feel it was a waste of my time as I only got worse not better. She did push medications and would not listen or partner with me in my healthcare. It was because of her I learned I have to be my own advocate as no one else knows as much about me as I do. Meds can only work on one side of a mental health issue. The other side also needs to be addressed if it is not then one can not get well....at least that is my experience and opinion. I would suggest seeing both a psychiatrist and a psychologist or therapist.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My psychologist wanted me to have an assessment by a psychiatrist. I still see both, I'm in touch with the psychologist every few weeks at least, can call her any day if I need urgent help. Overall, I do most work with her. But I continue to also see the psychiatrist to monitor my medication.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Imo, you should see a therapist first if you would rather try without meds. If you go to a pyschairtrist they run down what your concerns/problems are, then will most likly to suggest meds to you. They may also recommend a therapy for you or point you in the direction of one, as mine did for me. A psychairtrist is like a doctor, except a GP is educated on a general basis, where as psychairtrist specilizes in medication and mental mental, and also has connections/links to other services.

Seeking a therapist in your locality. You can talk to your doctor about it. He/she will have contacts to places and you can discuss it with your doctor. Most places will have an assesment and from this assesment they will choose a therapist who
is most suited for you. You are also allowed, if you want some info on your therapist, to ask what there education and backround is.

I think its also important to fully understand to difference between a psychologist and a therapist. This link will help you clear things up if there was any confusion: Therapist vs. Psychologist | How Therapists and Psychologists Differ

I think the determination between when/if you begin meds can only be made by you as the therapy begins and how it progresses. This is something you can also bring up with your therapist.

I see both a therapist and a psychairtrist for my mental health conditions. So all of what i say above is from my own experience.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some psychiatrists actually do psychotherapy...but I'd agree with everyone else...start with a therapist. However, if you do have a chemical imbalance causing depression/anxiety, then a psychiatrist would be needed to assess this and prescribe something that can help. But if it's situational, a therapist should be able to help with that - developing coping mechanisms, ways to express and deal with feelings, etc. I'd take my therapist's advice, though, if s/he advises you to see a psychiatrist. I see both - a psychiatrist to deal with bipolar and a therapist to deal with all the other emotional stuff. I've been seeing a therapist for almost 2 years now and I love her! Easily one of the best decisions I've ever made.
And not all psychiatrists are going to put you on drugs just because they get kickbacks from big pharma - but yeah, some (maybe even lots) are definitely like that! If a psychiatrist is quick to put you on pills without addressing your FULL psychiatric history and asking you a BILLION and a half questions, I'd be wary.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I utilize both a psychiatrist and a therapist. This combination works well for me as it is a holistic approach to my healthcare because the medical system I am in allows both people to share notes regarding my therapy. I think that it is key for a prescriber to know what is going on in therapy so they know whether or not the medications they prescribe are actually having a desired effect.
My situation is like this too! I've found it has really helped in dealing with my mental health issues.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a newly minted child psychiatrist, and I would say go to a PhD level psychologist over a psychiatrist, social worker or counselor. Psychologists (not a generic therapist/social worker/counselor) get more training in the diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric disorders than any other profession, including psychiatrists. Psychologists typically spend 5-6 years in graduate school to earn their PhD and then do an internship and a post-doctoral fellowship.

Furthermore, PhD psychologists usually do the research on psychiatric disorders so their approaches are more research-informed than the other professions.

It's even better if you can go to a psychologist at a medical school because they are likely still involved in research and so the treatment you receive will likely be state of the art

They can also conduct psychological testing which is most likely to give you your true diagnostic profile.

In some states and the US military psychologists can now independently prescribe psychotropic medication, too
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the great feedback. I'm taking it all into consideration.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
I would choose a psychologist over a psychiatrist every time, primarily for the same reason you said above, but for other reasons also:

1) A psychologist (especially a cognitive behaviorist) will look at all the factors involved: your family of origin, your emotional health, your motivations, your fears and/or esteem issues, your relationships, and your behaviors.

2) The process with a psychologist will be comprehensive because it will get at the root issues and also can be specialized to deal with specific problems that are occuring at the present.

3) A psychologist will work with you to change yourself. Not cover up your issues, but to actually work toward achieving an active change in your life.

A psychiatrist will do none of these things. Instead, they will:

1) Instantly advise you to start taking medication.

2) Not spend the time looking at the complexities of your mind, but only focus on specific feelings eg. anxiety, fear, depression.

Not only that, but there are three more reasons not to see a psychiatrist:

1) Most of them are 'in bed' (so to speak) with pharmacutical companies and they have a vested interest in pushing whatever new pill the company has come out with - regardless of whether or not there have been sufficient clinical trials.

2) Focusing on drug threrapy alone, instead of comprehensive treatment, only masks the physical manifestation of the problem - but it does not deal with the problem.

In other words, if the medication stops, the problem returns. With psychology, one can learn how to deal with the problem so that it is managable rather than merely concealed with chemicals.

3) Like as not, many of the so-called 'wonder drugs' often turn out to have negative side effects that often don't show up for years.

I'm not saying that ALL psychotropic drugs are bad in all circumstances. However, a psychiatrist has a monetary incentive to get you on a new drug so the pharma companies can rake in the dough - and earn them a nice kick-back. -- Rather than actually delving into your real problems and trying to help you.

That's my take on it.

Perhaps each individual has different experiences, and of course each psychologist and psychiatrist is different, but based on my own experiences I would strongly disagree with a lot of this.

The psychologists I saw tried to get me on anti-depressants almost immediately, while the psychiatrist I currently see told me that he wouldn't see me if I was only interested in getting a prescription. He certainly isn't pushing meds on me. And with this particular psychiatrist I get all of the medical and physiological questions answered as well as undergo the same treatment a psychologist would give.

It's true that I had to test out 2 other psychiatrists before finding the one I like now, but I'd be careful about painting things with such a broad brush.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

DonneIslanding,

Hello, I'm Sereniti, welcome back to this Site. I noticed that the other posts suggested Psychologist first. I just started receiving help in this field last September 2010. I was assigned to a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist. Since then I have seen a couple Psychologists but am still with my Original Psychiatrist. I see her weekly and I can talk to her anytime on the phone if I need too. For me, the Best Help has come from my Psychiatrist and she doesn't pour medications down me. She is very careful with prescribing me with anything and giving me the full information on its purpose and side effects.

I understand this is ultimately your decision to make. If you see a Psychologist and they recommend you seeing a Psych Dr, then you have to start all over again. I wish you all the best.

Your SoberRecovery Friend,
Sereniti
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I won't step in the debate of which type as I have only used one type in all my years getting help and support.

I will say though that everyone I have used (it has been 4 over the years in different capacities and they were ALL good). I ALWAYS had an "intake" interview with them. This gave me the opportunity to decide if I was going to be able to work with them and if they in turn could work with me. It also was an opportunity to talk about payment etc which was important to me to manage.

My needs have changed as I have recovered. I am a true believer that who you see is important but I also believe that what you get out of it is reflected in what you put into it.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darklight
I would choose a psychologist over a psychiatrist every time, primarily for the same reason you said above, but for other reasons also:

1) A psychologist (especially a cognitive behaviorist) will look at all the factors involved: your family of origin, your emotional health, your motivations, your fears and/or esteem issues, your relationships, and your behaviors.

2) The process with a psychologist will be comprehensive because it will get at the root issues and also can be specialized to deal with specific problems that are occuring at the present.

3) A psychologist will work with you to change yourself. Not cover up your issues, but to actually work toward achieving an active change in your life.

A psychiatrist will do none of these things. Instead, they will:

1) Instantly advise you to start taking medication.

2) Not spend the time looking at the complexities of your mind, but only focus on specific feelings eg. anxiety, fear, depression.

Not only that, but there are three more reasons not to see a psychiatrist:

1) Most of them are 'in bed' (so to speak) with pharmacutical companies and they have a vested interest in pushing whatever new pill the company has come out with - regardless of whether or not there have been sufficient clinical trials.

2) Focusing on drug threrapy alone, instead of comprehensive treatment, only masks the physical manifestation of the problem - but it does not deal with the problem.

In other words, if the medication stops, the problem returns. With psychology, one can learn how to deal with the problem so that it is managable rather than merely concealed with chemicals.

3) Like as not, many of the so-called 'wonder drugs' often turn out to have negative side effects that often don't show up for years.

I'm not saying that ALL psychotropic drugs are bad in all circumstances. However, a psychiatrist has a monetary incentive to get you on a new drug so the pharma companies can rake in the dough - and earn them a nice kick-back. -- Rather than actually delving into your real problems and trying to help you.

That's my take on it.

End quote}

Thank you so well said !!!!!