Notices

Question

Old 06-10-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question

This is day one off norco...1pm will be 24hrs. 10mg 2x's a day for 3 weeks but last fall addicted to oxy (withdrawls sucked) Can anyone that has experience with Norco / lower doses / shorted use time let me know how withdrawls went for them? When did they start? How to deal. I know exercise is recommended but I can't do a lot cuz I smoke cigs like crazy and short exercise can't breathe. That's my next habit to kick but not right now with this going on. I quit alcohol for 6yrs once and now almost 2 years and it was sooo much easier for me then this. Could be cuz alcohol not in house but husband's pills (medically needed) are here. Can't tell him I know where they are cuz he will know I once AGAIN have been stealing his pills....taking a lot of will power right now and I don't even feel bad yet. I'm on clonazepam for high anxieties so they help I hear and also anti depressants for severe depression. If anyone can give me info on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

What many relapsers are surprised by is that they QUICKLY return to their prior level of opiate addiction, even on relatively low doses. The relatively low doses quickly become higher and higher, as your damaged dopamine receptors are "pre-programmed" for the opiates you started throwing back at them.

You can expect a similar withdrawal to what you went through on oxys. I hope you time relapsed will make it milder and shorter, but it will be much the same. You will probably feel very fatigued, nauseated, depressed, and anxious. The first week is the worst. The first three days are the worst of the first week. The first day your body still has opiates in it, so it will probably be later today when you start to feel sick.

I answered your post on another thread, too. I want to tell you how happy everyone here is that you have decided to stop taking norcos. It is really hard to do, as you know, especially if you are depressed. I hope you take my advice on the other thread and tell your doctor and your husband. Your doctor won't know how effective the other medications he is giving you are working if you lie to him about the norcos. Ask the doctor how the norcos can affect your other medications, or you won't know if and how well they are working either. Remember that many antidepressants take several weeks for their full effectiveness to be felt, and how could you know if you are already taking norcos? Please ask your doctor these questions so you will know what to expect. You aren 't doing anyone a favor by lying about this, especially yourself.

The ONLY reason not to tell your husband is so that you will continue to have access to the norcos. Your "addict brain" wants you to think it is because he will threaten divorce. While he may threaten that out of anger, and as a way to try to make you stop doing it, you aren't in as deep as you were with the oxys. But you went through this before. He knows addiction all too well, with his alcohol addiction. If you don't trust him enough to help you, what has this marriage become?

Just remember, your recovery from alcohol is also at risk by taking opiates. The same dopamine receptors are at work with both the opiates and the alcohol.

Please don't think I'm being mean by telling you the hard truth. It is in EVERYONE's best interest if you are honest with your doctor AND your husband, especially yours.

FT
Old 06-10-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Justbme-

Failedtaper is correct - addiction is addiction whether it's alcohol or drugs. And it's progressive. As soon as you start up, the addict in you picks up where you left off.
With regard to withdrawal, we're all different, so please don't measure yourself against anyone else's experience. Opiate w/d's are pretty much the same, regardless of which ones used. Some are slightly worse than others but I'm not a chemist or an expert.
Another thing- you mention that your husband has meds in the house; why not sit with him and tell him the truth? Then ask him to take the meds out of the house so there's no temptation. I've been off opiates for 2 months now but if my bf had them in the cabinet, it would be a tough thing for me.
Best of luck.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the advice and information. I will tell doctor but CANT tell husband. He got so ANGRY about having to hide his pills which he thinks he is doing now but I found them TRUELY by accident fixing the cover on the couch. It is only 8 am and I'm wanting one now...not because of sickness but just to get high...Sorry but being honest here. The only place I can be and opening up to you folks here is helping A Lot with the "secrets burried" inside me. I did read a post and learned how narcotics work on the receptors and why once an recovering addict gets hooked even faster (new receptors created due to overload of "endorphins" and the new receptors go crazy when the 'extra' is no longer available...takes time or them to go dorment but they don't disappear. One pill or drink and the dormant ones WAKE up and raring to go. It helped me to learn how all of this works on our brains for me to make decsion to quit. Like I said it hasn't even been 24hrs and I want one. Fighting it though. Thanks again for the support
Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Hey justbme:

Everything I told you is out of support, and I agree with opmloser. The reason I encourage people to come clean with their spouse is that I lied to my own husband in my first week of withdrawal. When he found out I had not been truthful, he was angrier about that than about my addiction. Husbands know SOMETHING is wrong, and they don't like being lied to. With truth, you can stop worrying about hiding, and it all gets so much easier.

After all, he SHOULD be angry with you. I still think your "addict brain" has control of this particular thought process, and I still don't think you should continue to lie. How would YOU feel if he was lying to you?

FT
Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for Your Honesty!

Stay here on SR; you'll find tons of support!
Okay, so you can't talk to your husband, I understand that all too well, but if you can talk to your doctor then he/she can help you get through this.
Please leave those pills alone. Remember it's that little addict-voice that is trying to trip you up!
Have you looked up any NA groups in your area? If not, then please do.
In the meantime, seriously, stay online and keep reading!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm staying here a lot today. Gotta go start cleaning right now...maybe doing something will help the "voice" from telling me just take one, it won't hurt anything at this point. I know it's a lie. At least I have 17hrs w/o using. Headed to AA tonight. I'm also going to try meditation..heard that can help. Thanks again for support and sharing your stories. I have read a lot of great info, feedback, histories and it helps a lot. Check back later with good or bad news either way I need to stay connected here.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Hey justbme:

Stay positive if you can, and know you are not alone. Many of us have been EXACTLY where you are right now. 17 hours behind you means you are almost finished with your first day, and that is a milestone.

Don't listen to the "addict brain" lies that want you to go grab that pill. If your husband thinks they are hidden, he might also know how long the bottle is supposed to last. Getting caught lying is worse than admitting you were doing it.

Maybe you can hit an earlier AA meeting? Many cities have several in a day.

FT
Old 06-10-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep Us Posted!!

Whatever chores you do, please stay away from that bottle. And look at the very-bright side: At least you can function! It still takes an act of congress to get me to wash clothes and do basic chores.
The problem, as I see it, is that we've spent so much time using and when we stop, the minutes turn into months and we just don't know how to function without the meds.
I'm still in that phase and I walk through the days talking to myself, telling myself that it WILL get easier. Anything is better than falling into using again. It's expensive, illegal, and it would cost me my new job and the roof over my head (furnished by my boyfriend, who never tried a single drug in his life).
Please write in later....
Old 06-10-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One Other Thing-Re Job hunting/drug testing

You wrote that you're looking for a job - one thing to seriously consider is that every company/business does drug testing these days. If you get an offer and get tested while using pain meds, they'll show up on the test. And if you don't have a valid script, then you probably know the rest....
So that's another great reason to stay far away from these pills. You take one, feel okay for a couple of hours then you have to deal with the consequences later.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all just checking in. OPMLOSER - how long clean for you? Also, the addict in me has the job drug test already planned out (we can be pretty creative when we need to be) I had 2 scripts from last summer for norco from oral surgery. Got info from Walgreens so if tested positive I would have scipt #'s to give that were in my name and they were left overs. Coniving (sp?), Plotting, Planning, Lying, Stealing, Sneaking, Secretly Dying it ALL SUCKS!!!!! I'm still hanging in there. I've walked a Labryrinth a couple times when I was in Intensive Outpatient Treatment (after 3 day lock up in looney bin) from severe suicidal thoughts in 09 and there is one at the hospital a few blocks from here. Reading a book about them and considering going down there to walk it again. Helped before...maybe again. Not telling mother-in-law that we live with cuz she already thinks I'm nuts because of my severe depression and extreme anxieties and that I have to see a "shrink". LOL She just "don't get it" and she sure as heck wouldn't get Labyrinths, Meditation, Addiction. When we first quit drinking and said we were alkies she didn't get why we "just can't stop..just don't drink". I tried to explain that it isn't so much we WANT to quit but we HAVE to quit. I don't think it helped her understand though. At least here people can relate, understand and support. Thanks again...until later Great Day for All I hope...even if you are struggling as I am.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In Answer To Your Question...

Hi again,

I started using opiates back in 2000 and tried to stop a couple of times during this hell ride but found I could not. Sometime after this new year, I made up my mind to do a gradual taper .... at the beginning of March I started using benzo's at the point that I stopped entirely. And yes, I had to do a careful taper off the benzo's and completed that hell ride after @ 5 weeks. I'd stopped in mid-April. If I'd had medical insurance I surely would have explored the nearest rubberroom facility.
But here's the cool part - I had gotten a job offer last month and took a drug test and passed for the very first time on my own since 2000. That was my milestone. Prior to that, whenever I did a test, I faked it. I'm not going to go into detail on how I did that as I don't want to inadverantly teach anyone who reads this on how to cheat a drug test.
As for your husbands meds, if he is hiding them from you, then chances are he is counting his pills as well. And one pill not accounted for might lead you to big probs with him.