Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many times...

Why do we always do this to ourselves? Always back to square 1
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hey wanting:

If you are referring to relapse, count yourself among the MAJORITY of us. You don't specify, and you don't say how long if that is what you mean, but square 1 is a necessity to get to square 2, 3, 4 and eventually square 365 and counting.

This is my 3rd recovery, so I can speak to relapse. It can hit you at a few hours into recovery, or a few weeks, months, and years. That's why I worry about those I read about on these threads who believe that "recovery" is the end point and not the process. We can only shed the "active" part of our addictions, at least most of us. I would not have believed that either, a few years after my first recovery.

For me, the crash happens about every ten years, in my case when something bad happens. My first recovery followed years and years of alcohol abuse, and my "acute" recovery phase took about 3 years before I stopped thinking about drinking every day. Wow -- finally home free!

NOT.

I won't go into my second one now, ten years ago. THIS one, from oxys, is still fresh at close to 6 months clean time. I don't have time for any more of these here recovery things. I now recognize that "recovery" to ME is a lifelong process that requires vigilance. It took THIS recovery to show me that, as even after the second one I seem to have been foolish enough to feel "home free". I won't make that mistake again.

So, whatever brought you to write that post..... don't feel guilty or alone. Learn from your experiences and move on like you mean it.

FT
Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FT,

Yes relapse is exactly what i mean. I just do not know why we do it to over and over again, it never gets any better, only worse. The Pain Oxy puts you through is definetly not worth any high. I read your discussion about people being in recovery, or fully recovered. I, like you, believe ppl will never be fully recovered. The only people who think that are people who will be prone to relapse when like you said a bad situation occurs in your life. Off to work now but will write more later. On day 2 withdraws , again. Ugh. Glad to see your still here helping people. You are an inspiration.