Notices

Oxy withdrawal - advice requested

Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxy withdrawal - advice requested

Hi

I am currently on day 3 of cold turkey wd. For a little over a year I have been using around 150mg of oxycodone a day. For several reasons I am trying to go through this and have the worst feeling of anxiety. I'm not really sure what to do but I certainly can't continue on like this without losing my job and my fiancée. I have kept this problem to myself and have no support system in place and am not ready to discuss this problem with my future wife.

A little background, addiction runs in my family. I have many immediate family members that are alcoholics and have fought crack-cocaine addictions for the past 25 years. I also am a functioning alcoholic, if there is such a thing, but I make it to work everyday now, that is until the last couples days.

Well I need some advice. After lurking in the background on these forums, I've decided that a doctors help may be the best bet for me to deal with this anxiety. I have a few problems though. I recently moved to a new town and don't have a primary care physician that I really feel comfortable talking to about this. I have good insurance but I'm not so sure how a brand new doctor would take seeing me for the first time with this type of problem.

The symptoms I'm experiencing are pretty much the same as everyone here, hot then cold, very achey, mind racing, and racing to the toilet what seems like every 20 minutes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have to get back to work and need something to make it possible, because if I show up in this state I won't have a job for much longer. Thanks in advance for the input...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome D. If you're already on day 3 just keep clean and everyday will get better from here on out. Get out and go for a walk. I know it's hard but I started consuming myself with exercise on day 2 and it has been my savior. You can and will do this if you really want to. I too almost lost my job and the love of my life before I said enough is enough. Haven't you already paid to great a price for your addiction? Don't let these poison pills take anything else from you. Get empowered, get inspired, and FOX THE OX.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would make an appointment with the doctor in your new town and just tell him that you're new in town to kind of get acquainted if that might make you feel more comfortable. I think they've seen it all and they are there to help so they won't judge you. If your old doctor isn't too far away and if he's still covered under your insurance maybe it would be worth it to go back to him if you don't want to start out with a new doctor. Either way, you could always change doctors in your new town and use one now just to get help with the withdrawal and anxiety. If you go to the ER doctors change frequently and you won't have to deal with your primary care physician.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR....

good to know you are heading into a better future....
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would suggest you call a local pharmacy (preferably a local store not a chain), ask to speak to the pharmacist. You do not have to tell him your name, explain to him/her your problem & ask them for the name of a doctor they would suggest. They deal with doctors all day. They will know who will be best in your area for your problem. They are usually very sympathetic to drug problems & want to help.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Hi D,

I think that any doctor, new or old, is going to applaud your decision to just QUIT opiates like you have, and what you are asking for to help with anxiety is not inappropriate. So, even though it is hard to come clean to someone you have just met, believe me you are not the most shocking or biggest problem of their day. They are so much happier to see someone with your problem than someone who is still addicted and trying to get more pills.

I personally applaud you for what you are doing, and I agree with the other posters that things should be much better soon. I could not work at all the first week, and my intense fatigue lingered a lot longer than that. But, at least if I could drag my butt to a chair, at least I was thinking more clearly again. So don't expect miracles with the return of your energy, but do start moving your body as much as it will permit. Exercise does help.

If you are young and used to be relatively fit, all that should come more quickly to you than ANCIENT idiots like me, who think that 20 minutes on my Nordic Track ski machine is a big deal.

Good luck, and keep posting here, because it really does help.

FT