Notices

Telling The Doctors - Terrible mess today

Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling The Doctors - Terrible mess today

I'm from the UK and just wondering what the likley negative consequences will be if i tell my doctor about my drug problem. Ie, will it effect future prospects for jobs etc?

Also is there anything they can actually do? Today i feel like i really could just end it all and be done with everything. I feel completey lost and dont know who to turn to.

I'm scared of ringing the doctors for the above reason and i do have a work assistance program, but I dont want to shame myself if my manager has to find out.

Please guys, who do i turn to? Work is just pilling on things and want to send me away to work for a week, which will just push me over the edge.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
College Graduate

Be honest, with yourself and your Dr. There may be consequences, but with the state that you sound like your in, it may be time to deal with those.

I am sure you are not first or last person to have these issues. I am worried with the idea that you could be done with it. If your at the stage then it seems like you know what you should do. Nothing in this world is final except death, so it's not really an acceptabel solution to a temporary problem.

Keep posting and let everyone know how your doing, many of us have been there.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feel a little bit better than i did a few hours ago! Just really down today, i just dont know what todo anymore, I dont want to be at home, i'm finding work increasingly hard and week by week im getting worse. i just dont know who to turn to help me.

I'm affraid of going to the doctors, since theres nothing they can actually give me to make me feel better, other than give me a quick chat and out the door I go. Then i'll forever have this down on my record, possibly making things worse for me in the future.

I dont really trust none of my colleagues in work and I'm not sure weather I want to contact my work health advice, since there will obviously be reprocutions for doing so.

what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in the UK but if my employer had a work assistance programme? I would grasp it with both hands.

There is nothing more important than your well being and your recovery, Artifical.

Best of luck with your decision - make it a wise one
D
Old 06-07-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Artifical View Post

I'm affraid of going to the doctors, since theres nothing they can actually give me to make me feel better, other than give me a quick chat and out the door I go. Then i'll forever have this down on my record, possibly making things worse for me in the future.

what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Im not in the UK either, but have had similar problems to you and seeing a doctor was the first necessary step to getting more help - I was then referred to a psychotherapist, who referred me to a psychiatrist who prescribed appropriate medication to help me deal with my problems. Life isnt perfect now but its a hell of a lot better than it was.....I was scared of taking medication for years. Depending on your Drug of choice your doctor may prescribe something to ease withdrawals.

Im not sure about privacy acts etc - its not like going to the doctors gives you a criminal record - personally I wouldnt worry too much about it - but thats just my view....
Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about the UK but in the US we have laws that protect patients medical records. Treatment for substance abuse, unless you are in the military or in healthcare (even there they have some rules and laws to protect them) receiving help does not always affect your employment.

Your personal well being should, in the end, come first. I hope you will call and get some help.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in the UK. Doctors and hospitals do not disclose private details to employers. Your secrets are safe.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Be strong Artificial. Sobriety has costs but there must be something of value that's getting you to consider giving up the drugs. Focus on what that is.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for the replies guys. I am/was just abit unsure since i know my employers have asked me to discolose my medical records before and thankfully there wasnt anything strange on there.

Is there anything docs can actually do? I've had previous depressive/anxity episodes and been off medication for around 6 months now and dont want to entertain the doctor by going back on them thinkking it will help me.