Notices

Hypomania? stimulant based problem?

Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypomania? stimulant based problem?

I've been seen alot of the talking heads on shows recently tossing the word hypomania around. Is this the result of the drug abuse or is it a personality disorder? I've the seen the word used inreguards to the likes of Charlie Sheen and even Casey Anthony.

I'm dealing with someone who seems to just cut loose just flying off on the littlest thing and always think they're right and your wrong. They also have an unwiley sense of entitlement and unmitgated gaul. They drink, do steroids, take sport supplements & drinks and some "recreational" drug use, always had a short temper go to time bomb status over the years.

Is hypomania a result or a pre-existing condition?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Hypomania can be the result of several things including bipolar disorder. So to answer your question it is not always associated with substance abuse. I am bipolar, sober for over 10 years, take medications to treat the bipolar and other mental health conditions and still have hypomanic episodes. I do think that when I was actively drinking the hypomanic states were more pronounced but that is speculation on my part.

If you want to learn more about hypomania this is an article that does a good job stating what it is and some of the causes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomania
Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link nan. The person in question isn't creative or overly productive but sometimes is a low sleeper. Does seem to experience mood swings. A narcissist if you ask me with all the other stuff he does.