Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

addiction will make you do STUPID things...like this

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe this will motivate you to quit. You know how you get desperate when you run out? Yeah you do. Anyhow, my "friend" asked if he could send a couple boxes to me and he'd give me 6 pills.

The box arrived, along with 6 federal agents.

It contained $13,000 worth of marijuana

That isn't something I would have done sober. I didn't know for sure what was in his boxes, but I knew it was something fishy, yet I still agreed to let him send them to me.

I still don't know what's gonna happen to me. I'd rather die than do jail time.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi oxyious,

I have some experience with the court system, both professionally and legally.

Whether or not weed was part of your addiction, what the feds like to see is that you are participating in and succeeding with a drug recovery program. Even if you don't think you need one, that is the only way to produce a track record the feds can get their brains around. I would do that, like yesterday. It doesn't have to be expensive, and becoming an NA member is a good idea.

The second thing the feds like to see is that you are a productive member of society. If you have a job, that's great, that's a track record. If you don't and have no prospects for one, get your butt in school. If they can see that you are a functional, drug free member of society, they will be less inclined to level punishment at you for what you did.

Unfortunately, you do have to deal with a criminal charge. The MOST important thing you can do is be honest and forthcoming with them, and don't try to protect someone else. You were put at risk unknowingly, but ignorance of the situation doesn't help entirely, because likelier than not, the person who got you involved will try to place blame elsewhere, probably you included.

Good luck. Don't let this make you feel like this is the end of the world. Even the feds aren't interested in putting you away. They are a machine, doing the job of eradicating drugs, like the laws or not.

FT
Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never done an illegal drug including marijuana, I've just had a blast (not) with prescription drugs. AS FOR MY CASE (incase you have more insight)

They gave me a fake postal slip saying "sorry we missed you" and tried to get me to set up the dealer to come to my house to except the boxes. (Nobody's that stupid, right?) Well, he was and when he got a verbal beat down he admitted the boxes were his and I didn't know what was in them, but still......... I'm in trouble. The officer told me he has to file regardless.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

That's good, and I hope you will skate on this one. May it was just a close call never to forget.

Sometimes the feds only want to net EVERYONE, so what I said about the "track record" stuff still applies. Maybe you have that all down, but it is always good advice if and when you are accused.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The feds kicked it down to the state level. My narcotics officer is very patient with me. He needed to get a statement and let me meet him and his buddies at a restaurant because he knew I wouldn't bode well at the station. (I started crying so hard I was puking when jail was even mentioned).

I don't have a job. The oxy train prevented that... Now it's about time, but the job market here sucks and I'm almost out of money.

I have zero priors (not even speeding tickets)

I have NA meeting across the street from me... I plan to go back. By program, did you mean an in patient or just any program like NA. I can't afford anything in patient.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

I think in your situation, NA would probably be enough. Keep a little calendar with all the meetings you have attended, so if necessary you can show that. Then, they will probably pee test you, and you should test negative. All that stuff is documentable evidence that you are on track in a way they want to see.

As to the employment part, lordy do I get that. It's a tough world out there. I would recommend enrolling at college to start towards a goal that will make you more employable. There are lots of tech programs out there, and you should see if there is one you might like. Most people can get in and get funded.

Don't worry too much. There's stuff you can do.

Ft
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by oxyious View Post
I've never done an illegal drug including marijuana, I've just had a blast (not) with prescription drugs..
Hi Oxy-

Taking prescription drugs that aren't yours is illegal. You are in fact, taking illegal drugs.

Good luck with your court case and keep working on yourself no-matter-what.

Kjell~
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Hi Oxy-

Taking prescription drugs that aren't yours is illegal. You are in fact, taking illegal drugs.

Good luck with your court case and keep working on yourself no-matter-what.

Kjell~
They were presribed, hence 2 years of rationalizing it. This is the first time I've pulled my head out of my rear end. The dealer offering me 6 pills was just like more candy to me.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by oxyious View Post
They were presribed, hence 2 years of rationalizing it. This is the first time I've pulled my head out of my rear end. The dealer offering me 6 pills was just like more candy to me.
Oxy-

If you don't do illegal drugs and you've never taken prescription drugs that weren't prescribed to you, why/how do you know a dealer then?

You must have some dealings to know a dealer, especially to agree to let him send these mysterious boxes to your house.

Something is off here (said from experience in dealing with dealers and doing drugs myself).

Kjell~
Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Oxy-

If you don't do illegal drugs and you've never taken prescription drugs that weren't prescribed to you, why/how do you know a dealer then?

You must have some dealings to know a dealer, especially to agree to let him send these mysterious boxes to your house.

Something is off here (said from experience in dealing with dealers and doing drugs myself).

Kjell~
My ex boyfriend used to smoke pot so that is how we met-he was his dealer for green and after we broke up, him and I hooked up a few times.

You sound very accusitory. No, I've never tried illegal drugs but I've done some dumb crap with prescribed ones...(taking them the wrong way, taking too many, etc).
Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

oxyious: Let me say first! Welcome to SR. You can find a lot of support here for getting off the oxy's. Now that you have had the fear of jail put in your path, it just might be the thing that gets you straight.

And please by all means. Stop referring to the pills as CANDY! I know some do, but it's really poison to our minds and bodies. I've been on the up and down path of Hydro's for years. I'm now over a hundred days off the stuff. And I do have legitimate medical reasons for having them prescribed to me. After spending 22 yrs in the Army and being a retired Disabled Veteran I have the medical problems to get the Hydro's. But I've chosen to live w/o them. And I love me so much more off of the stuff.

Now! Kjell wasn't attacking or accusing you of something. I had wondered the same thing. And if you are receiving pills from a dealer? I wonder, in reference to your first post? You know how you get desperate when you run out? If you weren't getting pills from other's?

Your emotions are very raw as of right now. I get it. Was there one hundred days ago. This is your awakening to get off the drugs and get your life back on track. Police officers, Fed's, going to jail, have a way of doing that to us.

Get your butt in that NA meeting across the street. Go get you a job. Even if it's working in a fast food chain resturant, it's a job. I worked at McDonald's on the breakfast crew, before going into the Army.

Quit sitting on your pitty pot and DO something positive with your life. It isn't the end of the world. Even though it might feel like it now. I've been there. I know how you are feeling. I was taking 30 to 40 Hydro #10's a day, back in 2005. I came off the stuff CT. I stayed clean for 2 1/2 years. Then a whole round of new surgeries and injuries accurred. But I'm past all of the surgeries and I'm no longer on the opiates. You too, can get off the stuff.

Check with your Unemployment office to see if they'll pay you to go to school. I know they do here in AR. Contact rehab centers for info on getting help in anyway you can. Sit on your pride, pull some humble pie out and start searching for help. Your PO might even be able to referr you somewhere for help.

Best of luck to you!

TOD
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Excuse me? Sitting on my pity potty? Sod off. I don't feel sorry for myself. Everything that has happened to me is a direct result of my OWN behavior. NEVER once did I try to get pity. I was posting my story of detox and my story of warning to others what could happen. If you want to work at Mikey D's, go for it. I have a Masters Degree and I can get a job, in fact I did get one and I'm starting in August, so before you start waving around your opinion, be a little more informed.

ME AND ONLY ME PUT MYSELF IN THIS POSITION, Nobody else got me addicted and nobody else is to blame for my problems. I was pointing out that being on meds can and WILL make you do stupid things you normally wouldn't.

Originally Posted by Tiredofdrugs View Post
oxyious: Let me say first! Welcome to SR. You can find a lot of support here for getting off the oxy's. Now that you have had the fear of jail put in your path, it just might be the thing that gets you straight.

And please by all means. Stop referring to the pills as CANDY! I know some do, but it's really poison to our minds and bodies. I've been on the up and down path of Hydro's for years. I'm now over a hundred days off the stuff. And I do have legitimate medical reasons for having them prescribed to me. After spending 22 yrs in the Army and being a retired Disabled Veteran I have the medical problems to get the Hydro's. But I've chosen to live w/o them. And I love me so much more off of the stuff.

Now! Kjell wasn't attacking or accusing you of something. I had wondered the same thing. And if you are receiving pills from a dealer? I wonder, in reference to your first post? You know how you get desperate when you run out? If you weren't getting pills from other's?

Your emotions are very raw as of right now. I get it. Was there one hundred days ago. This is your awakening to get off the drugs and get your life back on track. Police officers, Fed's, going to jail, have a way of doing that to us.

Get your butt in that NA meeting across the street. Go get you a job. Even if it's working in a fast food chain resturant, it's a job. I worked at McDonald's on the breakfast crew, before going into the Army.

Quit sitting on your pitty pot and DO something positive with your life. It isn't the end of the world. Even though it might feel like it now. I've been there. I know how you are feeling. I was taking 30 to 40 Hydro #10's a day, back in 2005. I came off the stuff CT. I stayed clean for 2 1/2 years. Then a whole round of new surgeries and injuries accurred. But I'm past all of the surgeries and I'm no longer on the opiates. You too, can get off the stuff.

Check with your Unemployment office to see if they'll pay you to go to school. I know they do here in AR. Contact rehab centers for info on getting help in anyway you can. Sit on your pride, pull some humble pie out and start searching for help. Your PO might even be able to referr you somewhere for help.

Best of luck to you!

TOD
Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets take a chill pill, guys, and stay civil.

Welcome to SR oxycious

I'm not sure what you expected here, but believe me, everyone here is trying to help - they're taking time out to post to you, and sharing their experience/opinions.

If anyone ever thinks there's a post that breaks our rules
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

please report it by using the button.

I hope you will follow through and participate in something like NA. I've seen it change peoples lives

best of luck to you
D
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get that Dee, but you don't tell someone making positive posts to get off their "pity potty", when half his posts are about his girlfriend leaving him. Mine were about detox, recovery and things NOT to do.

I have gone to meetings every day aside from 3 since I posted. I met someone there that preyed on me, gave me a sob story about recovery and abuse at home, so I gave them a room, food, etc and I got paid back by having my car stolen, found damaged, 600.00 and my new droid phone stolen. Whatever, it's in the past and I didn't get physically hurt, thats all that really matters. I was shaken up and didn't want to go back there after that happened. (but I did.)

Anyhow, I'm back in the mix and attending until I move, then I need to find a new place. The clubhouse I go to runs from 6am to their last meeting at 10:15pm. (I'm lucky). Do you know how these ALL day facilities are funded? I would like to donate once I get settled in my new home (I'm moving away from the pill mill capitol of the country which I believe will be very good for me-- Less temptation. When you move, you bring your problems with you, but in this case, at least I'm moving away from what seems to be the easiest place to mess up.

My last question. You aren't supposed to have a sponsor of the opposite sex, What about gay members? Doesn't it make more sense to put them with the gender they are NOT attracted to? (This is a very REAL question that people seem too uncomfortable to answer in person). I'm without a sponsor still.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA or NA, I'm afraid - have you seen our GLBT forum?
GLBT/Alternative Lifestyles in Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It might be a good idea to ask the question there?

D
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You left out the third thing the Feds like. A snitch......
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Doesn't using the postal service make it a little more serious. I got nailed years ago for ordering from an overseas supplier. The only thing I got though was a nasty letter from customs and of course I never got the package.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

oxyious: The "pitty pot" phrase is used all thru the recoverying community. It wasn't pointed at you directly. So please forgive me for upsetting you in that phrase. As it's plain on the screen here I seem to have done. It's in reference to feeling sorry for the things we've done, getting caught in doing things we normally wouldn't have done, where I could be if I hadn't of gotten hooked on the DOC, etc.

It's great you have a Master's Degree. But with the economy the way it is? ANY job is a job bringing money into the home. Before you turn your nose up at the available jobs out there. Think about the money you could be making compared to going hungry and homeless. That's why I suggested McDonald's or any other fast food place.

Before you repost to another for what we've said here. And before you jump on the keyboard to give a quick reply. Reread the post. I've thought about several posts sent to me as being negative, but after taking the time to think about what was said, it was the individual talking to me thru their own experiences and trying to help me see what can be different in my life.

Everyone's posts are helpful to another with each story told. So yes, your story has warned others as to what can happen to them. So please don't take negativity from the things you post here. We are all here to try and help one another thru their problems. But just as in Religion and Politics. There is always going to be opinions.

I'm glad to hear you are in meetings and are moving away from your DOC play ground. Congrat's on getting a job!!!!

TOD
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Thanks for sharing your experience! I somehow DO feel better that I don't have any new charges today and don't have to deal with the insanity of the cr@p addicts do...
I have done my share of stupid stuff..

I was wondering how the kick is going for you getting off the oxy's? That has got to be a rough way to have to detox! I detoxed in jail and it was nothing nice .
God doesn't have a telephone to call us and give us a heads up...so I would absolutely take this as a sign ...your numbers up and the good times are probably gone ..I hope you are doin ok..enjoyed your post ! Thanx!!
love norty
Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

oxyious: I forgot to say this in reference to your post about sponsors. Being female myself! I use to have some very good gay friends when I lived in WI. If you would feel comfortable with a gay guy as a sponsor. Go for it. The big fear of having men and women sponsoring the opposite sex is they might end up in a relationship that doesn't turn out well. The other thing is men can relate better to another man as women can relate to another woman.

You are the one that has to make the decision who you would feel comfortable with. I personally don't attend meetings and don't have a sponsor. But I did in the past. I'm 123 days clean now. So do what you feel is best for you.

TOD