Notices

Divorce - Any sober addicts ask for a one?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Divorce - Any sober addicts ask for a one?

I'm sober for 13 months and my wife hasn't been very supportive. Are there any sober addicts that have asked for a divorce? Why did you? Advice..
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How has she been unsupportive? Is there any way you can go to marriage counseling?

Congrats on being sober for 13 months!! I'm at a year in 2 weeks.

Divorces are extremely stressful. I just wouldn't want a divorce to interfere with your sobriety.

If you think you are ready to divorce her; and you can handle it; then divorce her.

Good Luck
Old 06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is no room in life for people who are detrimental to your recovery. Rationalizing for said person(s) behavior only hinders your progress and empowers them. Yes divorce is stressful. Ending any relationship is stressful. Life is stressful. But you need to do what is best for you, and do whatever it takes to stay sober. Take care my friend.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My wife hasn't supported me being in recovery. she says she would rather I smoke pot still. She doesn't think I'm an alcoholic or addict, but I am. She won't goto Al-anon and we have been in mariage councling, but she still continues to be in denial about my addictions and her own daily marijuana use that she says she needs to help with her anxiety. She is not a bad person, but it's a tuff situation for me not having a partner that admires me for what I'm try to do with my life by staying sober. She thinks I'ver been brainwashed and hasn't support me in recovery since day one of me seeking treatment.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well at least you have tried some resources toward your marriage.
Sounds like she doesn't want to change anything. You don't like the way things are and apparently going to be.
I hate to hear about marriages not working out...but sometimes they don't.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going to give it more time.. I think it's important i dont do anything rash. I have to be careful not to expend to much energy on her actions: what she is using, when, where, why..ect Also, I have to continue to watch for codependency issues in myself and make sure I'm not falling into a bad pattern. I have to say through all of this, the fellowship in local aa, here, and support from friends has been a godsend.