Notices

Bipolar / Alcohol issues?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bipolar / Alcohol issues?

This will be a long read….

Wife and I have been through a lot in our 15years together… We lost 3 month old to sids the next time she got pregnant we had a miscarriage…. Then the third time we had a perfect boy…
Our past 5 years has been a roller coaster… I stepped out on us with her best friend and it was like taking a piece of her.
After that we had quite a few fights and told her to move out and she did she bought a trailer and moved out. She will come back to the house after a few days… A few weeks went by and we agreed to see a marriage counselor and we did we went weekly for about 6 months… Then she started going by herself… Lasted only a few weeks…
We went for a couple of weeks and things seemed to be getting better for us then she started drinking and either not coming home or coming home real early in the morning (6-7am) she works a night job and hangs out with night people…. Tells me I have nothing to worry about… When she drinks and she is out I ask her who her baby sitter is because when we go out I have to watch what she is doing or she over does it and either falls down or just wants to argue….
We went for a week or so and did not see each other… Last Friday night we went out and the night started great and she started drinking…. We went all night then came home when we go home I wanted to go to bed and she got mad at me and left for the night… She text me first thing in the morning to tell me again she left because I was being a jerk because I would not stay up with her and talk…. When she gets to drinking she starts rambling…. So Saturday evening we went and saw a movie and went get a bite to eat, She ordered a wine which was buy one get one and then ordered another…. I stopped and she asked me to order a drink or water so she did not look bad sitting there with the wine… We left the restaurant and she stopped and got a bottle of wine… We sit on the couch and start talking about things and she brings up that I only want her for money and that’s it. And I do not love her but she loves me and I try to tell her no but she will not stop at this point. I tell her I am going to bed and she gets mad… Says I am not walking away again I tell her no I do not want to argue she swears we are not but nothing I say to her matters I tell her when she does not drink we get along fine…
When she gets the 3rd wine going into the 4th is when I have to put up my defence… She says shes not drunk and when she leaves the house she is always smashed… She does not drink “all” of the time but when she is off I know what is coming almost everytime… Does this seems bipolar or is this and alcoholic?

Any questions I will be more than happy to answer…
Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR.

I wish I had some answers for you but if you are concerned about whether your wife is bipolar the best thing you can do is get her to see a mental health provider who can properly make that diagnosis. As far as her alcohol consumption goes it sounds to me like she may have an alcohol problem. I sounds like alcohol is creating a problem in both of your lives. There are many programs out there that can help her stop drinking. I don't know if you can approach her with possibly getting help to stop drinking but if you can it might be a good idea.

I do hope it all works out for you. Let us know how it goes
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You certainly have been going through a tough time.

You don't have to drink every day to be an alcoholic. When I say I'm powerless over alcohol, it means that once I pick up the first drink I have no way of controlling it. I may just have one, but most likely I won't be able to stop at all. I'm sober thanks to AA.

There's no way you can control you wife's drinking, nothing you can say or do that will affect it. If she's an alcoholic then the bottle calls the shots. But you must take care of yourself. I strongly recommend Al-Anon, a 12 Step program for people related to, married, in a relationship with an alcoholic. At least you'll find other people who have the same situation you do ... it's too lonely to take this big a problem on alone....