Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

What was your withdrawal timeline?/How long before your circle of friends changed?

Notices

What was your withdrawal timeline?/How long before your circle of friends changed?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's day 29 now with no percs and some of the withdrawal anxiety has gone away but def still there. What is your guy's experience with the mental withdrawal symptoms?

Man it's weird cause I'm 30 years old and been a junkie for 15 years so I'm kind of on my own it seems. My friends are all people I knew from high school or before. Anybody else been through this and care to share how long it took for things to start falling into place? I'm in aa doing 90 in 90 but I'm a pretty quiet guy, just my personality. No girl, no real support group except aa, no sober friends, and not exposed to a lot of people at work. I mean I'm cool with all those things, I'm not depressed or anti-social or anything like that.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear you're on day 29, hopefully 30 by this point.

15 years is a long time to be a junkie, consider yourself blessed that you're still alive let alone almost a month clean.

Recovering from drugs is more than just getting off of the drug. Alot of it is getting rid of anything that can trigger you into relapse. I can relate with you being on your own. It's rough. It leaves you alot of time to dwell. Dullness and boredom sucks. I've been clean 6 months, was only a junkie for 3 years or so. I relapsed more times than i can count after I got to the point where you are at now. The boredom is what killed me. Try to keep yourself busy.

It comes in spurts. You'll have one amazing day sober and then 2 bad ones. The key for me was to not let the amazing day deceive me. I would think "I'm better now that I had a good day sober, let's celebrate." Bad move, needless to say.

Becoming sober is all about readjustments, and I've made progress but I'm still not there myself. For me, I knew I was in good shape when I went a stressful day without thinking about calling my dealer. The day it takes you alittle bit to think about the last time you used is another amazing feeling.

The good days for me are outweighing the bad, and every day I'm more confident in myself. When I was abusing I was not nearly as social as I am now.

I still get the anxiety, but only when I wake up. Something that works for me is setting my alarm a half hour early (I'll take a half hour of sleep lost rather than feeling anxious all day). I sit down and listen to relaxing music while thinking about the day ahead. I always realize that one bad day won't shape who you are as a person, unless you go back to using.

It's a long ride for the mental withdrawal, but each day does get better, I promise.

Hope this helps and good luck