Notices

Marijuana to treat Vicodin abuse?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marijuana to treat Vicodin abuse?

hey guys....so i wanted to get yall's opinion on this article about MJ being an exit drug...and the entire "harm reduction" approach..

(tried to paste link but wouldnt let me) you can google "Marijuana exit drug" and the articles come up.

I personally have just recently come to terms with the fact that I, at the very least, abuse Vicodin. That is to say I take anywhere from 1 to 3 pills a day after work to unwind and get settled in. I have stopped before and I typically have a few days of low energy/motivation, irritability, but then its done and I dont think about it until i get gnarly back pain or something, then I take it for the pain but once the pain is gone, I just keep going till I run out, which could be 1 to 3 months.

I am currently "on" right now, meaning Ive stopped and now back on for about a week now. I have 60 pills and I dont want to "go till Im out" and Im wanting to try and see if I can smoke a bowl after work instead and if that can take the place of the Vike's...

I know it goes against the traditional one size fits all of the 12 step programs but Im thinking more along the lines of harm reduction than abstinance...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a piece of the article...

A typical observation by patients is that their use of cannabis doesn't necessarily take away the pain, but that they are no longer preoccupied with the pain; they are able to ignore it. Research is beginning to show that there is a synergy between cannabinoids and opioids and thus, a patient could decrease the amount of opioids necessary to manage pain due to the opioid sparing effect of cannabis. Since opioids carry the risk of overdose along with other unwanted side effects, adding cannabis to their treatment regime allows patients to achieve more comfort with a lower amount or no opioid medication.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((essc))) - personally, I think it's just trading one drug for another. You're still looking for something else to "unwind". I do know of people who can have the occasional weed or drink, but they are well into recovery and dealing with life before they even think of that.

Personally I would dump the pills, go through the few days of what you go through, and work on recovery. Stopping the dope isn't the hard part, it's not picking back up when you're stressed, grumpy, etc.

I also have back problems, but take pain meds only when I've tried everything else and it is keeping me from doing my job. This is rare...maybe twice a year, and I take the meds as prescribed. I've been to hell with my addiction, and have no desire to go back. My DOC (drug of choice) was crack, but prior to that I abused the he!! out of opiates, lost my nursing career because of it.

I fell through my attic floor last week, onto concrete. Hip and back are bothering me, and I have a refill on my meds, but have been taking OTC stuff. I know my history, I know that I've been stressed about other things, and just don't think it's a good idea to have any pills around.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree. Trading one if for another is just adding to the mess, especially if you have a history of returning to the Vicodin and abusing it. Before you know it, you may have two addictions to deal with, and for some, that's so overwhelming they find it even harder to quit either. I've no experience of Vicodin, but I do of severe back pain, having had two ruptured discs since my early 20's (I'm 38 now, and have a bad flare up at least twice a year).

Honestly, do try other things - exercise, pilates, swimming, acupuncture. I found that doing those rather than taking painkillers meant I was actually dealing with the source of the pain, rather than band aiding over it. The flare ups are agony but I know they would be worse without my 'care plan' in place. I know it means work - but it will be worth it.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

I agree with Impurrfect and newwings.

Weed is not a benign drug for addicts. Period. If you have an addictive personality, which is sounds like you do, weed will likely just turn out to be the next monkey on your back to try to pry off.

Lastly, get rid of the pills if you really want to quit. Having 60 pills in the cupboard is a recipe for using. Expect to feel bad for a few days while your brain adjusts to the need to self comfort. It is a skill we once had before addiction, and unfortunately it has to be relearned when we stop using substances to replace our natural brain chemicals. There are no shortcuts to this relearning process, but a number of things like exercise mentioned above, go a long way to speeding it up.

Good luck!

FT
Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

right on, thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On the thought of replacing one drug for another, what about replacing like 4 drugs for 1?

Ive heard of people dumping their anti deppresants and saying a little MJ works better...

Ontop of the Vicodin Im prescribed Zoloft, Effexor, and Xanax... Wouldnt it be beneficial to my overall physical and mental health if I were able to dump these 4 meds and use a little MJ? Now I know no one here is a Dr. so maybe no one will be comforatable answering this.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Studies on the use of cannibis as an adjunct to pain medication therapy do not usually address the addiction issues that go along with it. The people working on the part of weed that seems to help pain are constantly trying to weed out (pardon the pun) the part that makes people feel high. So far, they haven't succeeded.

Addictive types are not the intended recipients of these "new" drugs. They are pain patients who are not seeking a high, only pain relief.

I wish I were one of the "normal" people who can take one drink, one toke, one anything, without seeking more and more mind altering effect. I can't. I have no off button. Self described addictive types should know better than to play with fire with these things.

Most of us can remember the days when we didn't need to use drugs to feel normal. I for one can remember plenty of pain in my younger days where I didn't seek out strong drugs to deal with it. I swam, played tennis, got injuries and didn't think it was so bad to use ice and antiinflammatories. Why do I seek a totally pain free life now? That goes for both physical and psychological pain. We have lost our way if we think we need to "take something" just because we don't feel fabulous every day. I sure don't.

Sorry for the rant, but I've just seen so much time wasted and lost after things got out of control with weed, drugs, alcohol, whatever. Anyone stepping close to the fire -- step back and run away fast before you have a problem on your hands.

FT
Old 05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take it from me essc - I destroyed my life completely with marijuana as much as I did with alcohol later...

no matter how much pain I get in, MJ will never be an option for me again.

I too have chronic back pain - I've seen many doctors and tried many non narcotic things - it's taken a lot of effort and persistence but the best thing for my back problems is actually gentle exercise...explore all your options essc.

As for unwinding - I've learnt I can do that without drugs. You can learn that too..there's a lot of fine suggestions in this thread

D
Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

weed is bad
Old 06-25-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trading addictions just isn't a good idea. A few years ago I used marijuana to help me cut down my drinking. It worked for a while, but then I had a hard time giving up MJ. So then I eased alcohol back into my routine. Then switched back to MJ.

I fooled myself into thinking I could control my MJ use. And if if I did get addicted, I told myself, well, it's not a bad addiction to have. Now that is a load of BS.

Now I have quit everything, and I still struggle with MJ cravings, even though I haven't smoked for almost 6 months. If I were you, I would stay away.