Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

When does the hydrocodone withdrawals get better?

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Monday around 6pm I took my last pill, Ive been on 7.5 vicodins and 10 Norcos for about a year and the last few months ive been up to about 15+ pills a day. I had back surgery and now i feel i can manage the pain without these things even though im still in pain, either way the Docs keep telling me to taper but it doesn't work, its like drinking after you have a 5mg norco its like well why not take a few 10s.....

either way monday i only took about 3 pills and about 7pm monday i took my last pill so tuesday i didn't have anything and i though i was doing good until i tried to sleep and woke up thinking i was having a panic attack lol anyways i got though the day and i was telling myself today would be better but to be honest its not.

when does this stuff start to get out of your both and when do you start feeling better?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Fordman:

I would start reading at the start of the "Oxycodone withdrawal help..." thread and keep reading. I came there in December when I had the same questions you had. There are lots of withdrawal stories there, as well as the help and support people got by posting.

I won't go into the whole thing here, but you are likely to feel very very sick for at least a week and probably longer. I could barely crawl to the bathroom in my first week, and that is not an exaggeration.

My strongest advice to you is to talk to your docs TODAY and tell them what you are doing. Get a backup plan as to what you are going to do when you start to freak out in the middle of the night because you can't sleep, can't hold your body still, maybe even panic because you are feeling so bad. I'm not telling you this to scare you, but to recommend that you don't try to do this alone.

Tapering did not work for me either. I had the ER numbers and a plan in my first week. I felt like sh!t warmed over. It was horrible, but worth it. Tell you docs that tapering is not working for you. If you are getting your drugs without prescription, you have to be honest about that. There are non opiates they can give you to help you with the withdrawal symptoms.

Most of all, keep going. I, too, became addicted "legitimately" and discovered the worst HELL RIDE I could have imagined trying to come off. But it is necessary if you ever hope to live your life as a non-opiate user. The pain you have can be managed other ways besides opiates.

FT
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its it worth taking some B12 or anything else?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Some here love supplements. The Juiceman has something he does if you want to PM him.

FT
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are some good supps and what do they do?

oh and i called my Dr. and told him and he said why don't you want to try tappering and he coudn't understand that once i put a pill in my mouth and started to get that numb feeling i would keep eating more pills
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It varies for each person but I'd expect the acute withdrawals to ease up considerably by day 5 for you, if they haven't already done so. It's possible it'll take a full 7 days or so for them to pass but either way you're over the hump now my man, don't look back.

Immodium AD can help...and a good multivitamin, maybe omega 3 as well. I wouldn't go crazy with the supplements, just make sure your getting your basic nutrients. Make sure you eat a little and drink as many fluids as possible. Most important thing is time and positive thoughts, just buckle down and finish this off and you'll never have to do it again
Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Juiceman

Originally Posted by fordman_mustang View Post
What are some good supps and what do they do?

oh and i called my Dr. and told him and he said why don't you want to try tappering and he coudn't understand that once i put a pill in my mouth and started to get that numb feeling i would keep eating more pills
Seriously, go to one of Thejuiceman's posts and PM him about what supplements he takes. I've seen him offer himself up a number of times for that purpose.

FT
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Went C/T off of 75-120mg oxycodone a day for a year.

I went with vitamin b6 caps, L-Tyrosine, and a daily vitamin with potassium (sometimes hard to find but if not substitute bananas, potassium helps with RLS.)

Also, taking tylenol will help somewhat with the pain. Grab some immodium for the runs.

Drink plenty of water or something with electrolytes like gatorade that's going to be lost from dehydration. Dehydration will intensify the effect of the RLS, and for me that was the worst symptom.

Do not underestimate the power of hot baths with epsom salt for the RLS. Lay in it all day if you have to.

Don't get too stressed about the lack of sleep, noone ever died due to a lack of sleep.

It's only 5 days of the physical stuff, then the real journey begins, but the physical w/d is insanely intense. Try to keep a good mindset and realize that one day you'll look back on it and realize that it's only 5 days.

Good luck, hope this helped, and hope to hear from you soon
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unhappy off norco, again

Hello All - I have ongoing rheumatology and muscle issues for which I am rx norco (for several years I was on vic 5 mg then progressed to norco and at one point was recently on percoset for 3 months and have gotten dilaudid as well) - i totally get that i am addicted. the infusion treatments for the RA are working and I am having some pain that i know that i can manage with ibuprofen. i take 10-15 norco a day like clockwork. my last 'go-round' I finished 100 norco in 1 week, fed off some tylenol 3's that I had until it was time for my next refil and polished that 100 off in a week as well - i relied on some left over tylenol 3 and a handful of oxycontins that I swiped from my in-law. my last dose of anything was early Tuesday. honest to my higher power, my mind is clearer and i know it's the right thing to do but the past two days i have been seriously playing in my head with some pain that i am having now and trying to justify a visit to the doctor for more pills. i've never dr hopped and always go to my provider and am just sick that i am even considering this right now! as long as i am not alone in my head i am not thinking about it. but sitting here at my office i am back at playing that game. i even considered timing a visit to urgent care yesterday so that i could get the pills before my daughters school event at 700p!! as i read earlier, i would have considered myself a functional addict but in retrospect must admit i am not. i am the sole breadwinner for my family and am jeopardizing that. I take it because i like the way it makes me feel. these few T3 allowed me to taper yet now i am dealing with the stomach cramping, diarrhea, and last night. WOW the restless legs. i finally fell asleep after about 4 hours of tossing and turning. back in 94 i went to rehab for booze - funny thing is i have quickly realized that booze is not my drug of choice (hell, i have a cabinet of the stuff at home and it is getting old) - i've even got a nice collection of grass in my attempts a few months ago to get off the pills (I have a MJ prescription) - have had the stuff for MONTHS too. so, what to do. i know that my partner suspects i have an issue. she tried to control my pills a few months ago by handing out doses as I requested. i quickly found where she had hidden them. she is the child of an alcoholic so you can see the connection. anyway, here i sit. jonesing for pills and thinking that if i can get through this physical w/d i will be ok. i don't know - even thought of smoking a bowl and having a drink when i get home but in all honesty that does not even appeal to me. then i was looking ahead at my calendar and counting the days until i could next request my rx refill, 02/13. i've tried tapering off and when i get a refill would greedily suck down 10-12 and count them continuously and keep telling myself - when I get down to 30 I will taper to get off these things. that has yet to happen. i work in the healthcare field (administrator) and cannot "come out" as an addict as (although i do not have access to meds) it might be a career killer. i am afraid to admit to my partner because i do not want to stress her out more. i am really tired and just want to stop.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Some here love supplements. The Juiceman has something he does if you want to PM him.

FT
I recommend B-12 & L-Tyrosine (1000-1500mg of the L-T to start) - Will help your brain make Dopamine again

Potassium - bananas are best! Will help with RLS
Magnesium
Multivitamin
STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE!!!!!!!!! BAD during W/D
Eat plenty of eggs when your appetite returns. Stay away from simple carbs.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

5-7 days is the generally accepted time period it takes to start feeling noticeably better from w/d's (assuming short-acting agonists like oxy/hydrocodone or morphine).

Recovery, however, is a life-long process from there on out.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember that what may have worked for someone else may not work, or be suitable, for you - even the most natural of supplements can sometimes interact with other medications etc.

If in doubt, it's best to run any ideas by a medical professional

D
Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dee is absolutely right. See a doctor first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only a doctor can tell you what is best for you!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok this sucks and is hard to admit. I've had several knee surgeries and will need atleast one more here soon. I've been on these damn things for years and no one knows. I'm over been hooked and needing these just to get through the day. I just got married and have a 3 year old so I'm stopping for them. I'm only on my second day ct. I've tried before and it hasn't stuck. I'm trying my damnest that this is the last time. Any words of advice or anything helpful would be great right about now. I can't take off of work so I'm doing this while I work. Thanks for any help I get.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am just now feeling good and I quit Wed last week, I had a 30 mg a day habit for hydro. It does get better. Yesterday I was crying outside from muscle pain and stabbling stomach pain, today I'm cleaning my kitchen. When it lets you go, it lets you go fast, at least I think so. You have too many days behind you to turn around and redo all those hard-earned days. It does get better, yesterday I didn't believe that but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Stay strong.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR trustu

D
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks dee
Old 04-16-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Less is somtimes better!

have had three surgeries in the last 4 years, and in the first I ask a friend about the withdrawal of the medications that I had been given over the past several months.

He said that as you are coming to the time you want to quit, start about a week and a half, cutting back on your medications. This will be your seven to twelve days of withdrawal while still taking your pain medications.

Start with full dose 4 pills a day or what ever your script is written for. Over the next 10 days you'll reduce the dose a little each day.

Several days before you start your withdrawal make sure you have the right amount of pills left, even at a lower dose if you run out in the middle you will still feel the withdrawal pain. One thing that you can do, as you get closer to the midway point is take more at night but always take some in the morning, at least to you get to the last few days, most of the withdrawal pain is felt at night

Here an example based on the 4 pills a day.
Day 1-3, 3 pills a day. 10 am - bedtime - and middle of the night if you wake
Day 4-5, 2 pills a day
Day 6-7, 1 pill, best at night.
Day 8-9, 1/2 pill morning and at night
Day 10-11 quarter 1pill and take them 1/4 each morning and 1/4 each night
Day 12 1/4 at bedtime with a 500mg Tylenol for your favorite medicine cabinet you should be pain free from the pain that goes with withdrawal

Don't make it complicated; the idea is go from full dose to not enough for you to feel, but enough for the system to adjust, thus no withdrawal. Keep your Fingers crossed. Prayer does help too!

Good luck
Misterb
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Im on day 27 off lortab, I know longer have the cravings nor any desire to take them. What I still have is Im super tired all the time. I a bit crabby and snappy at times but I keep telling myself it will get better. I did join a gym so we will see if that helps. Im writing to tell you to continue fighting because it worth it. No more running out 2 weeks before refill, no more thinking I cant go out and do this because I have no pills. It is a wonderful feeling to know that no one or a pill has control over me anymore. I control me and that is a wonderful feeling.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fordman, I hope your doing better.