Notices

Oxycontin IR/ Roxy Help

Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxycontin IR/ Roxy Help

Hey, I'm new to this site and have a few questions about my roxy abuse.....I am posting in this section, as well as the Newcomers forum

I started taking those 30 mg blue little pill Roxys (Oxycontin instant release?) in January. I sometimes take a quarter of one (7 mg) before work, and another quarter-half (7-15 mg) at night......Basically I go through 2 of them every 3 days. I used to take only 1/4-1/2 a night and get really high off of em, now I just get a more "chilled-high" not really "rocked" like I used to.

There are days here and there where I don't take any, and the withdraws aren't out of control bad, but I always find more the next day and I'm back on it. It's not too much of a problem, but I want to try to get off these things just to be perfectly normal again.

Some of my friends got really bad but quit recently. I would go to them for advice, but they were all taking multiple roxys a day and I don't think I'm really in the same situation from the way they told me the withdraws they used to get.

Part of my problem is that for the last 3-4 years I used to smoke weed almost every weeknight with my roommates and friends in college, and these roxys are almost a replacement for them (Stopped smoking weed when I started these). I like my life, and have a good job, alot of friends, go out on the weekends, etc...... but I just get really bored easily at night and like to have something to look forward to after I go to work/ go to the gym almost as a reward.......Some people like to have a drink or 2 to unwind at night, and I like roxys basically LOL.

How long do you think I would withdraw if I just went cold turkey for such a relatively small amount?

Thanks, Nick.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
College Graduate

Hey Nick,
To be honest your wd's should be rather mild as opiates go, but only if you knock it off now. Many of us here have used far greater amounts and lived to tell about it, the ones you don't hear from didn't.

You seem to have an idea of what is good for you and what isn't so I'll skip too much preachy stuff. The truth is that the chilled high will disappear and you will take those just to feel normal, not dope sick. So quit while it's relatively easy, talk to someone in your life you really trust about it and make some good changes. The recovery road can be a long one, so detour and all the crap.

If you do have some wd's read some of the other thread on opiates, some good experience in there for what to expect.

Good luck,
FS
Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Everybody is different and withdrawal is a medical condition that should be monitored by a professional.

There are some links on here though that might help, so do some research.

Have you ever been to a NA meeting?

Best wishes and hope you get the help you need.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Nick,

I couldn't have said it better than fs101.

I agree with him that your doses place you in a category of someone less likely to go through major physical withdrawals, but it seems that some people do notice they feel like they have the flu for a time after they stop. I strongly agree with fs that the time to get out is NOW. Opiates are real insidious for hooking you into an addiction you didn't intend, because they seem benign at first. They are anything but that.

I agree also with Newby that withdrawal is a medical issue, especially from high doses. If you read these threads, you will find that a lot of people have quit opiates in a number of ways. Cold turkey worked better for me than tapering did, hence my name.

Good luck!

FT