Allen Carr clinic

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Allen Carr clinic

Hi, just to say that I went to the Allen Carr stop drinking clinic yesterday. I found it good. The whole day was conducted by a therapist who really and truly more or less verbates the book to you. He goes through all the points one by one and for anyone here who has read the book will know what I'm talking about. You can ask as many questions along the way, and he gave concise and full answers. I must say I did come away feeling tired although elated. I said I felt free, but then I usually do feel like that when I've not been drinking for a while. I guess a lot of it is a bit like hypnotherapy but I will be reporting my progress with you guys along the way. Wish me luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! I loved his book so I look forward to hearing how this goes for you
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I hope you do well. I'm interested in what the book is about. I think I'll do a web search to get an overview of his work.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most of the online info pertains to the success of his work with quitting smoking. It was harder to find info on him and drinking.

Suffice it to say I think he has a significant impact on my sobriety and my happiness about my sobriety.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Most of the online info pertains to the success of his work with quitting smoking.
Yea thats what I'm finding. I would guess that he tailored this quit smoking work to fit alcohol dependance/abuse recovery.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Zen...I quit smoking and drinking the same day. I read his drinking book right before quitting...I think its why I am alive today.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like a very good book, I haven't drank in 4 1/2 mos but may order the book anyway!! Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have the book on my Kindle and I've been annotating the hell out of it.

I'd be interested in one of the sessions providing they weren't too expensive.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow... I just bought this book today, and just saw the thread I read all the reviews on Amazon and was convinced this was a "must have" for my book collection.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Wow... I just bought this book today, and just saw the thread I read all the reviews on Amazon and was convinced this was a "must have" for my book collection.
It's a very good read. I've read it through twice now. I haven't drank in a week and am planning on my last drink on Tuesday as a full stop to that particular chapter in my life.

In the meantime I'm gonna read it a third time.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
It's a very good read. I've read it through twice now. I haven't drank in a week and am planning on my last drink on Tuesday as a full stop to that particular chapter in my life.

In the meantime I'm gonna read it a third time.
What's the significance of Tuesday? Do you mean last Tues or next Tues?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
What's the significance of Tuesday? Do you mean last Tues or next Tues?
This Tuesday coming. It's an infamous public holiday over here in Ireland. The book advises to turn it into a ritual. That I will do.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I have read this book, and while it was not enough for me to quit, it can certainly help in changing your perception of alcohol and drinking culture, and it was a very good adjunct. I especially liked Allen Carr's pitcher plant analogy of addiction. Spot on.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
This Tuesday coming. It's an infamous public holiday over here in Ireland. The book advises to turn it into a ritual. That I will do.
Battle of the Boyne? Are you a unionist? Just curious... I'm thinking politics are off limits for this site (don't answer)

Interesting... I've heard of people setting a date in the future and smoking or drinking their last... in fact, my boyfriend did that with cigarettes a few years ago. He hasn't picked one up since... it might be a good method!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I have read this book, and while it was not enough for me to quit, it can certainly help in changing your perception of alcohol and drinking culture, and it was a very good adjunct. I especially liked Allen Carr's pitcher plant analogy of addiction. Spot on.

My book should be arriving in the mail in a couple days... will keep my eyes open for that analogy, AVRT. That book has so many great reviews. I'm excited to get it!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I read this book last year and found it very helpful in changing a lot of my thoughts on drinking. Ultimately, I did end up drinking again after several months but I still think this book gave me some much needed "brainwashing" on drinking.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I read the book about a year and a half ago and liked it. It wasn't enough to stop my drinking by itself, but it gave me some new ideas to throw in with other tools I was learning.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was sober when I read his book; it killed my remaining cravings by completely changing my points of view. Very good read.

I have high hopes for "The Easyway to Stop Smoking".
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I read his smoking book 15yrs ago and haven't smoked since. I have read the Drinking book also but it didn't have the same effect. That was a couple of years ago though, I may give it another read.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pixy1 View Post
I read his smoking book 15yrs ago and haven't smoked since. I have read the Drinking book also but it didn't have the same effect. That was a couple of years ago though, I may give it another read.
Keep reading it. It is a gem once the main tenets sink in. Also try Jason Vale's Kick The Drink…Easily It's the same message but worded slightly differently.