Notices

Scary article about Klonopin from TheFix.com

Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

Scary article about Klonopin from TheFix.com

This is a eye opening article about the dangers of Klonopin (Generic name Clonazepam) and benzos in general.

America's Most Poisonous Pill | The Fix
Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think the news magazine format they use is well done...
Thanks for sharing about their article.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I couldnt agree more, K is a horrible drug with absolutely hellish withdrawals! Been there.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

The article talks about CDI, or combined drug interaction. I have screamed about this for a long time about opiate users who think it is safe to self medicate with benzos in combination with opiates, even self described "taperers," to help themselves avoid withdrawal. Scares me to death.

A friend of mine overdosed on Oxycontin in 2007. She had no intention of committing suicide, but she had a fight with her 14 year old son, punished him, he said he hated her, and she felt she deserved some extra sleep. Or, so that was how the son describes it now. I believe it to be true, because she told me she had done that before. I tried to warn her about the Klonopin then, but it was "prescribed" so she felt safe. What she didn't tell anyone was that she had several doctors prescribing her Oxycontin. That was discovered by her family after her death, which deterred the lawsuit they wanted to file. Her Oxycontin blood levels were 10 times the therapeutic level at autopsy, with Klonopin at lower levels, but I still wonder if it was the combination that killed her.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my detox from klonopin took a solid month. from what i've read, i got off easy....i've read some detox's can last up to 18 months. it was the most horrible pain i've ever been in. i lost 45 pounds, had multiple seizures, days and days of insomnia and muscle jerks from every part of my body.

i had just about every withdrawal symptom you can name and some days, looking back, i can't believe i survived the detox. i'm not sure if my blood pressure was elevated from alcohol withdrawal or the k'pin withdrawal, but i started to lose my vision at one point because my bp went up to 205/114 during the worst of it.

there were days i couldn't even get out of bed. klonopin is a hellish, nightmare of a drug that imo ought to be outlawed. i also had protracted withdrawal syndrome off and on till i was 9 months sober.

now...i wear a medical alert bracelet that says no benzos. i think i'd rather not ever have the option to get that class of drug again.