Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

substance abuse counselor puts me in unnecessary expensive program. how to fight it?

Notices

substance abuse counselor puts me in unnecessary expensive program. how to fight it?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i was put on probation for misdemeanor marijauna and felony prescription drug w/out prescription(sister's clonazepam) charges and my PO had me go to this substance abuse clinic to be evaluated for drug problems and in answering her questions I told the counselor how I seldom took the pills and smoked marijuana for stress and depression and she prescribed me this $350 12 week program, I'm assuming for people with addiction problems, of which I'm not one of.

I feel completely robbed. She spent the majority of the questions getting getting to painful and personal issues then gets me to admit to some drug usage then bam, hits me with $350 12 week program robbery deal. I get this feeling they can do what they want with their certificates or licences or whatever gives them their power, but how is she exactly qualified to impose such bs on a person and how can I appeal her decision? Do I request an appointment with a different counselor or some doctor or something then take them(the clinic) to court? Do I have any legal recourse? Anyone have any insight into this issue? The probation is costing me enough. The last thing I need is more unnecessary punishment. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ex-Abuser

Same thing happened to me! I was told that I have to go to 45 day Intensive Outpatient (3x/wk for 12 wks) then Supportive Outpatient for 90 days (2x/wk for 6 wks). Most places where I am from (Houston, TX) charge $300 for a 21 day outpatient program. UGH
Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, I don't know about you, but I don't have drug problem. I may use a drug or two on occasion or even for a period of time only when I want to which is seldom, but I think the point here is these institutions are looking to fill these $20-$30 seats well after they've put people with serious addiction issues in them.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

These would be questions for your attorney. We cannot give legal or medical advice here, but I would guess that if your probation officer has said you are to go, then, unless you want to have your probation revoked and go to jail, you'd better go.

P.S. to add: $350 for a 12-week program is pretty darned cheap.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no insight in to this as I live in a different country.

I think you're wrong tho to think of it as punishment - rehabilitation is just that - rehabilitation.

D
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ex-Abuser

Ya, that was my point. Its unnecessary. They say its "stardard".
Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Well, if one is breaking the law and in felony possession of someone else's prescription, then
$350.00 for a forced education seems pretty cheap to me. Only time I was ever that adamant about avoiding something was when I was afraid I might uncover something.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had to be evaluated by a substance abuse counselor and he was 400 dollars. He recommended a 30 day inpt stay and and 60 day sober living setting. It cost $30k and I voluntarily put myself thru this to continue to be a health professional. Using drugs without prescriptions is self medication and it is abuse. I did not think I needed the treatment either but it's just a consequence of using drugs. You would not be under a probation officer for sitting in church but for doing something illegal. So take what you can from this experience and make the best of it, because it doesn't do any good to fight kick scream. I now have over 2.5 years of no substances, including alcohol and including most over the counter medications. I have my RN license back and I'm glad I did the rehab, I learned a great deal about myself. Just do whatever they tell you to do it will cost less and not leave any marks on your record.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Do you want to have your probation revoked?
That is what happens when you ignore the courts ruleing.

Yes talk to a local lawyer..that too will be costly...or do as the legal system requires.

Sounds as tho you broke the law..both with her script and your MJ smoking.
You are now a 2 time offender ..any way you cut it.

Please take this seriously....it could be the best money you ever spend...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate your replies and your wise advice. Ill look a bit into to see what I can do if anything. It just doesn't seem just. I already spent my time in jail and probation is inconvenient and costly enough, for my income anyway, the system sure has been screwing with me. And no, I don't necessarily believe one deserves what they get with the law. Things like this are petty and take up too many resources from all parties involved all for ... well, don't want to get into any debates. Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well......
SR is not the correct site for discussing legal and social injustices ..so I'm glad you are not wanting to debate them.

Hope you can get things worked out to your benefit..
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

I dont know any people who dont have "drug problems" that smoke weed for stress and depression...just sayin.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not again

So I think the real question is....what did you learn?
And not about the legal system, we all know that has flaws.
But as they say...you play with fire, you will get burned.
Just my experience.

Larry
Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The system isn't screwing with you. In fact, it sounds like they are giving you one hell of a deal. $350 for a 12 week program? If you were smoking often enough to actually get caught, it probably doesn't take you too long to spend that much money on weed.

You knew the USA's stance on illegal drug use, and you used anyway, the same way all of us did. Every user knowingly takes that risk every time they use, and has no excuse when they get caught. If you want to complain about the system, write to your congressman. Otherwise (and I'd wager even if you do), you're going to accomplish exactly nothing by complaining. I also doubt you'll find much sympathy, except from other people who got caught by Johnny Law and are uninterested in recovery.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hmm...let me think about that...

First DWI, 1980, license suspension with court-mandated classes for education about the disease of addiction, $200 course fee, light fine, Dad paid for the fee and the lawyer, had sealed record after conviction; did the course, got the license back.

Second DWI, 1990, took out four parked cars, license revoked, resisting arrest (with my mouth), court mandated classes to in order to get the license back (decided not to do), HEAVY Fine, no license privileges, $6,000 lawyer fee just to keep my ass out of jail. Now have a criminal record. I paid it myself and decided not to drive

Fast forward...1994...ER checkin - detox - 90 day inpatient rehab, one year outpatient treatment, getting license back and slowly rebuilding my life, one day at a time.

Yep...damn court didn't know what they were doing back in 1980.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're in the system, gov't and other institutions just want their money.

You might be able to get your classes reduced in price if you don't make a whole lot of money. I was able to bring my $35 a week down to $20. Even though I didn't know this was an option until week 6 LOL
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juntjoo View Post
i was put on probation for misdemeanor marijauna and felony prescription drug w/out prescription(sister's clonazepam) charges and my PO had me go to this substance abuse clinic to be evaluated for drug problems and in answering her questions I told the counselor how I seldom took the pills and smoked marijuana for stress and depression and she prescribed me this $350 12 week program, I'm assuming for people with addiction problems, of which I'm not one of.

I feel completely robbed. She spent the majority of the questions getting getting to painful and personal issues then gets me to admit to some drug usage then bam, hits me with $350 12 week program robbery deal. I get this feeling they can do what they want with their certificates or licences or whatever gives them their power, but how is she exactly qualified to impose such bs on a person and how can I appeal her decision? Do I request an appointment with a different counselor or some doctor or something then take them(the clinic) to court? Do I have any legal recourse? Anyone have any insight into this issue? The probation is costing me enough. The last thing I need is more unnecessary punishment. Thanks in advance.
Yea, my doctor in rehab (that I could only afford one week) tried to MAKE me stay longer at the cost of $180 a day. He told me that if I couldn't afford it, I should claim bankruptcy. I almost choked him to death. NO I didn't attack him, but in my mind, I was chopping him to death.

HOw dare he tell me to file bankruptcy and put my family out on the street.

HOW THE HELL IS THAT GONNA help my recovery? What a freakn idiot.

I left rehab so mad, I told them EVEN if I DO relapse, this is the last place I'd come!!!!!!!!!!!! A...ss..............ho....les.