Notices

Burning skin sensation from withdrawal

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Burning skin sensation from withdrawal

I was taking Vicodin for pain for about 5 months and stopped cold turkey two days ago. I am going through the regular withdrawal symptoms but nothing too bad except for this horrible burning sensation on the skin of my upper back and arms. It feels like I'm sitting against a furnace or something like that. I did have it happen once before after stopping Vicodin two years ago after taking it for about a year after herniating my back.

Has anyone else experienced this as well or what is causing it? My doc had no idea and no answer from searching the Internet.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i had wierd things whilst withdrawaling from benzos. I was smelling a strange sewer smell, yet there was no sewer anywhere.

maybe its the brain re-ajusting and getting back to normal.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I have it still and haven't used any opiates for about 5 weeks now. It feels like it's starting at the base of my skull and radiates down my back and arms...it's annoying as hell but I can live with it. It's not nearly as bad as it was though so I guess that means it'll improve through time.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, yes & yes. I know I'm way late to this discussion but I'm posting anyway. It felt like a massive sunburn on just about every inch of my body. It started across my chest, down my arms, around my entire neck...one of the worst (and most intense) symptoms.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

with oxycodone i had tons of pins and needles. my legs, hands, arms in odd random spots all went numb or had pins and needles for about 3 months straight nonstop

im about 3 months off vycoden now, and for a while my entire left arm was going numb. mainly upper arm but it could go down farther. thought i was having a stroke or something.

i relaly havent had burning except when sleeping my body would get super hot and totally feel on fire i would make my house extremely cold when going to bed. and then if i cut the lawn and didnt get a sunburn but just was in the sun enough to have a few rays of sun i would notice hours later during my withdrawal those areas like neck and arms would feel like sunburn even though it wasnt
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
♢Just For Today

I have read that the burning skin sensation is directly tied to anxiety, which makes sense. Some mindfulness exercises or asking your doctor about a low abuse potential anti-anxiety med (clonidine, vistaril, etc) might be a good idea.