Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

3 weeks of heck and waste, off opiates again...

Notices

3 weeks of heck and waste, off opiates again...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thumbs down 3 weeks of heck and waste, off opiates again...

Hi all It's me yet again, ever since November I've been suffering from losing my Darvocet and haven't been able to find the right opiate for my constant chronic headaches. I'm just so sad right now as I was taking Vicodins for like 3 weeks just now then my supply stopped, *yes I am a pain killer addict* real low right now ... I'm supposed to be on Tramadols... hope I was allowed to say all I just did... I'll be in the chat if anyone is around..
Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

sigh
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Paulos))) - I'm sorry you're still struggling, but sending many hugs and prayers your way.

Amy
Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Paulos, I hope you find a solution soon. I'm so sorry, your having such an awful time of it. Keep reaching out. There are a lot of people who care about your well being.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Paulos

I can relate to the Black Sabbath tag line in your posts...please hang in there! Tramadol is luckily not a narcotic but I've seen posts from people who say it really does help with w/d's from narcotics.
I know how you feel about being sad and wanting the meds more than you want air to breathe...God I know that feeling! Yeah, me and the multitudes of people who've use/abused meds past and present.
I stopped 4 weeks ago and this past Monday, I took a drug test for a job and for THE FIRST TIME in 9 years, I passed on my own. That was a high in itself. The physical withdrawals are long gone but the psychological ones are still pestering me. I'm sorely tempted to "reward" myself" with just a little touch of opiates, but then what?? When it wears off, I'm going to feel like a turd OR MAYBE I will want to do more and, hence, the addiction is alive and well...Painkillers-all of them, Oxy, Hydro, Darvocet, morpheine, they're all basically the same (some are obviously more intense which you probably know) - they all can lead to an addiction that, when you stop, will be quite horrible. Opiate addiction is pretty interesting-it's one that actually gets worse after days 1 and 2 before it gets better.
BUT IT DOES, ABSOLUTELY, GET BETTER. Please stay on SR and read, read, read.
Godspeed to you.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Tramadol is a narcotic!

Hi all:

Just gotta butt in here.

Tramadol is in fact a narcotic-type drug, acting on the same opiate receptors as oxycodone, oxycondin, hydrocodone, heroin, etc. It is addictive.

Beware of confusing "non-Schedule" drugs as being safe and non addicting. Tramadol has caused a lot of addiction problems, just like other opiate type drugs, and true opiates. It is non-Schedule because it is a weak opiate, so the FDA considers it safer. But for addicts, NOT safe.

If you don't believe me, read what the Mayo Clinic has to say about Tramadol/Ultram etc.:

Tramadol (Oral Route) - MayoClinic.com

Good luck to you all. I see your name all the time on chat, Paulos, and wondered who this "all present" person is. I wish you well in getting off substances, including opiates, tramadol, or whatever is your "pleasure." It will cease being that, as is well testified to here.

Best.

FT
Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Paulos. I am sorry to hear about your slip, but it's important that you pick yourself back up and never, ever give up. I still cannot get into chat but if you ever need someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to PM me.

I, too, have stuggled with opiate pain killers (amongst several other drugs but this is something I've been fighting for over 2 1/2 years) so I understand. I also have chronic pain conditions that complicate this dearly.

I wish you all the best on your journey to find your recovery, it IS possible

-Jess
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
What would Captain America do?

Right on FT, tramadol is just as bad, I speak from experience. Was gobbling up to 30 of those a day!!! Withdrew from this 1st time, MUCH worse than OC withdrawals!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SgtFCAmerica View Post
Right on FT, tramadol is just as bad, I speak from experience. Was gobbling up to 30 of those a day!!! Withdrew from this 1st time, MUCH worse than OC withdrawals!!!
How much oxy were you taking? Tramadol is a weak opiate, all else equal those w/d's don't even compare to oxy. It's basically like comparing heroin to codeine
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

My post got responded too finally... hello all, thanks for the support, I either am usually going through a huge bout of depression or paranoia about myself and how things will never get better. I'm on the Tramadol and pretty much off the major Vicodin withdrawal but .... man, I look at myself in the mirror and hate what reflects back.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Paulos, the Tramadol is just another monkey on your back. Do you have a doctor who prescribes them? If not, go get one and start getting off opiates. Tramadol is still a weak opiate and will likely only keep your "addict brain" at bay for a very short time.

Now, go see that doc.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Paulos-I can definitely relate to the looking-in-the-mirror stuff; I avoid that practice religously as the reflection makes me want to throw up. But maybe tomorrow it won't and I hang onto that thought.
I am sorry for my post yesterday when I wrote that tramadol is not a narcotic; I so-very stand corrected! I used tramadol briefly and stupidly thought it to be non-narcotic because I didn't feel any effect from it and that is wrong.
I did a gradual tapering off of opiates (I am weaker than everyone in the world, or so I believe!) and that minimized the initial w/ds. I also understood that opiates replace the body's natural mechanisms/chemicals for dealing with pain/stress and the real w/d's begin when we stop the drugs and they're out of our system. The emotional impact is something I'm dealing with but that has decreased in the past few weeks as well.
It does get better with time!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Tramadol may be a weak narcotic but people do get hooked. I take them once in a while for severe back pain and it does help the pain.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Paulos, I don't get on much anymore but I wanted to send good thoughts your way. I don't know much about the meds you are talking about but I can tell you from my drinking years.....that there is hope and we can move beyond.

Hang in my friend and keep moving forward.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tramadol is bad........

Be careful........... dont care what its labelled. Got a friend - a full time accountant who has become addicted due to negligence on the part of his doctor - and has had to check himself into full time rehab for weeks - he cannot take the withdrawals without help - has had now had 10 days with no sleep + all the rest which you all know. He has never before been addicted to anything and is so angry at his position.............
Tramadol is hellish.
Woops