Notices

energy drinks?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

energy drinks?

I'm a recovering alcoholics/addict(crack), and I drink energy drinks as well as coffee. Sometimes, after a few energy drinks, I get restless and bored. And I start thinking about using again. Has anyone else had this problem with coffee or energy drinks? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I used to get that way w/coffee so I stopped drinking it. I have found that a chocolate shake sometimes does the trick if I am feeling out of sorts. In early recovery I drank one everyday for awhile..

Energy drinks I don't have any desire to get strung out on those why bounce off the walls?

I came into recovery to find among other things a sane and mellow life and well that's not helping when I use those.

Hang in there it gets better and if not right away it will get different

Last edited by newby1961; 05-09-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: forgot the letter r in early lol
Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My guess would be people have had that problem before. Probably part of the reason they didn't let us have caffeine in rehab, it's still a drug.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
What would Captain America do?

Awesome pic!! Huge batman fan! Supes can stick it!!! Renouncing his citizenship, GO BACK TO KRYPTON!! Oh and energy drinks are terrible for you!!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^LOL. The reason I drink them and coffee, is because I like to stay up and alert. I like to read a lot, so its more of a mental pick me up, than a physical one. Bit, if they keep causing me to think about using, I'm going to have to put them down. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
What would Captain America do?

Are you exercising? Taking vitamins or supplements? There are MANY ways to boost your energy levels with all that caffeine and sugar.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SgtFCAmerica View Post
Are you exercising? Taking vitamins or supplements? There are MANY ways to boost your energy levels with all that caffeine and sugar.
Yes, I take vitamins and I walk to my meeting. The walk is maybe 1/2 one way.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to drink energy drinks like crazy, but learned in rehab that they are a no, no. The mere fact that they are designed to alter our state of mind albiet legally should cause alarm bells.

One thought process I try to go through before I consider doing something that I sense might be sensitive to my recovery is..what is my motive?

Perhaps in your case you would ask yourself, "why do I want to stay up and read if my body is telling me I'm tired."

Staying up late for me are triggers and cause alarm bells for my wife because in the height of my addicition, I never slept. I used to think sleep was for sissies.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I personally hate the dang things. I took one of those 5 hour energy things once, and hated it. The way it made me feel was scary. But Ive never been into any types of speed in my life.

I do know someone who used to be a huge Norco addict, and quit. After she quit she started to drink 3-4 of the big monster/redbull/whatever cans a day. She also drinks coffee in the morning, and also uses those 5 hour energy things too.

Basically she's supplementing her old speed addiction with a legal one. I say those things are liquid speed if you ask me.

-Ryan
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I heard that it was due to my ADHD, (not sure how true this is.) but I've found the energy drinks are really great for relaxing, however if you feel as though it's causing you to crave the DoC why not give it up bro?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

LOVEEEEEE sugar free Energy Drinks. Sugar sucks and makes you fat, so I stick to sugar free, but I pound a few a day. Love those bad boys.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
I personally hate the dang things. I took one of those 5 hour energy things once, and hated it. The way it made me feel was scary. But Ive never been into any types of speed in my life.

I do know someone who used to be a huge Norco addict, and quit. After she quit she started to drink 3-4 of the big monster/redbull/whatever cans a day. She also drinks coffee in the morning, and also uses those 5 hour energy things too.

Basically she's supplementing her old speed addiction with a legal one. I say those things are liquid speed if you ask me.

-Ryan
I thought about this also. Am I using them to get the same feeling I did when I was using. But, I think I may sat them down for a while. And see how I feel. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quest7 View Post
I'm a recovering alcoholics/addict(crack), and I drink energy drinks as well as coffee. Sometimes, after a few energy drinks, I get restless and bored. And I start thinking about using again. Has anyone else had this problem with coffee or energy drinks? Thanks.
of course, they are an over the counter stimulant

all stimulants will cause this
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I've heard some people in my AA group say that they feel guilty drinking an energy drink b/c they're drinking it to get the caffiene and the energy (basically, to change the way they feel).

I dunno about all of that. I mean, I eat to change from feeling hungry to feeling not hungry. I sleep to stop from feeling tired. I pray and work the steps of AA to stop feeling like crap

I drink a coke a day and sometimes an energy drink/5 hour.

It's not alcohol. It's not an illegal drug. I've done my fair share of coke and meth and this is nothing like it.

I like to keep it simple. No alcohol, no illegal drugs.

Kjell~
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FT

Trigger

Originally Posted by quest7 View Post

Hi Quest,

Energy drinks are a trigger for me. Especially citrus Full Throttle. I used to drink one of those with my pills almost every day. It seemed to dissolve them faster or something, always on an empty stomach, and I would get a rush from the combination.

I drank a Full Throttle the other day, though, and still loved it without the pills. My preference is the full sugar kind. So maybe a sugar rush, tool

My husband was suspicious when I got onto the energy drink thing, because I never used to drink them before the opiate addiction.

FT
Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drink them , but I think it really depends on you , and which set of fundamentals you subscribe to in recovery. A lot of people will say we need to abstain from all mind and mood alerting substances. Some of these same people might tell you need to be on seroquel , and then you'd have to ask yourself , isn't that also a mind and mood altering substance ? Like another poster , I personally , have a hard time discerning what exactly ISNT a mind and mood altering substance. Air , water , food , they all seem to alter my mind and mood pretty good. Can't really imagine living without those. When I was in treatment they wouldn't allow someone to drink a red bull , but they would allow someone to drink 3 pots of coffee if they wanted to.

If you identify them as a source for your restlessness and boredom it might be best to stay off of them , otherwise i see nothing wrong.