Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Finally admitting to myself it's time to come clean.

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been taking Norco, Vicodin and Diladid (sp) on and off since November 2010.... I have tried to quit a couple times but my body gets to day 2 and I fail.... I go back telling myself it'll be easy to quit and everytime it is just harder.
8 years ago I was addicted to vicodin for 6 years and I quit cold turkey, I still to this day do not know how I managed up the strength....
I took my last Diladid yesterday around 8AM and here it is 12:41 noon the next day.
I've got the sweats.... and I am very moody towards my family
I know that I have to get through this though.... how many days of this can I expect ?
What things can I do to make this easier?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know where you are at all to well and I'm ashamed to admit just how many times I've gone back after going through the hell of withdrawing. I for whatever reason like to withdraw multiple times a month because I think that as long as I keep at least 10 days of clean time a month the withdrawals will not be that bad hahaha. Anyhow there is no answer to your question. Depends on the amount and time of your addiction. I generally find the the first 3 days are the worst and by day 5 I'm doing much much better although the lack of sleep lasts about 7-10 days for me. Do what you need to do my friend and remember that you're worth it. Drugs and alcohol addictions are a one way ticket to nowhere. Good sober days are ahead of you.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you much for your kind words
right now i was taking about 5-6 norcos a day.... the little yellow ones.
they made me feel energetic, like i could get anything done
and the worst feeling now is the groggy let down feeling of tiredness
Old 05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there Prelas, hang in there, it's gonna be a bumpy rife. I was taking 10-20 30 mg. Oxy's a day until 4/3/11, so I'm one month into it. The first week was HELL. The 2nd, a tiny bit better. I'm now on week 5 and I still don't sleep for crap and my energy sucks. I have to force myself to get out and do stuffbut left to my own devices, I would rather lay on the couch and read or watch t.v. Everybody is different in their recovery, but I am struggling. I would have thought my energy would have returned by now. I do have a good day here and there, followed by a few bad ones. I have heard this is normal. How long is going to take? I have no idea, but I am keeping up the good fight.
Best of luck to you and hang in there.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was bad.... I fell off the wagon for 2 days and instead of feeling great from my high I admit I was ashamed.... guilty..... so I immediately flushed the rest.
Yesterday around 10AM was the last time I used.... it is now 8:07 PM the next day
I went to work today in high spirits. With my Ibuprofen in 1 hand and my powerade in the next.
I wish I had immodium though because by noon my stomach was ready to talk back to me.....
As long as I kept busy today and didn't think about it, it wasnt so bad....
Now when I got home.... it was like a totally different stage.... I started feeling groggy.... angry.....
I took a hot bath and tried to relax.... my body is so tired and groggy.... I don't even want to lift myself off this bed to do anything. but on a good note? Tomorrow at 10AM it will be 2 days since I used
And after having to go through this kind of twice it makes me never want to touch the crap again.......... with every pain, ache, grog, sweat.... my body is winning.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Prellas))) - I don't have personal experience on the opiate withdrawals, but there are a lot of people here, who do, and several posts about it. Sounds like you've already figured out the powerade, immodium, ibuprofen and hot baths part Most people get the restless legs and find hot baths help that.

I truly think people need the support, encouragement, ES&H (experience, strength, and hope) of other recovering addicts (RA's) to succeed in recovery, but that's just my opinion. I know SR has been a huge part of my recovery, so I'm glad you're here

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

didn't sleep a wink last night!!!! Felt like I was stuck to the bed about halfway through the night from night sweats and yeah the leg twitches are bad... on a good note, not sleeping makes me feel like im energized LOL
going to work today then im off tomorrow for mothers day - just gonna sleep sleep sleep.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

prellas, I know it's hard to hold onto an idea like this in the midst of it, but remember--you get through this, you never have to do it again. In my experience, each subsequent detox gets harder. Each day that you feel like hell is one day closer to getting better. Each time you pick up, trying to avoid the pain of detox, you reset the detox clock -- which ticks more slowly the next time.

Sleep if you can sleep. Eat if you can eat. So long as you're getting fluids and don't have any serious health conditions (such as a bad heart), it will only feel like you're dying. What you're really doing is coming back to life.

What's your plan to stay quit?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-07-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
What would Captain America do?

Only took a WEEK, but the sweating was GONE last night, slept like 7 straight hours!! Hang in there! Soon you will realize that being YOU again is 100 X better than the best high those pills ever gave you! Time never stops, just seems to slow down. Each minute that passes your body is taking over again, doing what it's suppose to do! Give your body lots of good fuel, give your heart something inspiring, with music, books, movies and try to exercise! You'll get through this!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today after I got to work I felt like absolute ****..... couldnt have felt WORSE. I felt so DRAINED but I kept fighting..... I went on break 2 hrs into my shift which helped me because - I sat down to eat but felt like I was going to be outright sick... so I broke down and I cried, I cried hard and I cried long but you know what, I needed it.
I called my husband and told him what I was going through ( i hadnt told him about the relapse) but he said that he figured because how id been acting, he asked me if i wanted him to come sit at my work just so I could look at him and be happy.
This made me cry even more, I have such a strong support system here and I am glad I do.
After that my body lifted itself up and gave me will, strength and hope
My 2nd day is coming to a close but gosh darn I feel just fantastic right now.... I am going to keep busy and clean my house and when I am done I hope im tired enough to sleep! But for now I feel just fine!!
and I want to thank everyone here for all their help and kind words, I never thought id be able to do this.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Prellas,

I am glad you are here. I'm also glad you finally were able to come clean with your husband. I lied to my husband during my addiction, and it was only during the throes of sickness in withdrawal that he found out the whole truth of my addiction. He then became my best ally.

Expect to feel pretty sick for at least a week, maybe two. After the first week, you should have some "good" days peeking out of the fog. Expect to have restless body / restless legs really bad while you try to sleep. I felt like I had ants crawling all over my skin for the first couple weeks, mostly at night when I couldn't sleep. Also expect to have hot and cold flashes, and night sweats, even day sweats. Expect your stomach to cramp up, and don't be surprised if you have diarrhea interspersed with a feeling like you have to go but you can't (sorry to be so graphic).

All this is your body detoxing. It will all be worth it in a few weeks. I was shocked at my own withdrawals, thinking that if I just had the right "attitude" I would be fine. But I was just as sick as everybody else I read about here. My only saving grace, along with my husband, was that I made sure not to have ANY access to opiates, even now. Many times I don't think I could have said no to them, especially in the first weeks.

Hang in there, and keep coming back here. Lots of people here know just what you are going through, and many more reading who do not post, benefit immensely from your struggle, learning by what they read about people's experiences here.

FT
Old 05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

happy mothers day to all
my anti drug? My kids.... I love them dearly
tonight for dinner we made banana splits, it was amazing, and im looking at life through new eyes.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i dont have valium to help me sleep so i was wondering is it ok to take like nyquil or tylenol pm just to sleep? i want to sleep so bad but my legs.... my legs are causing me to not be able to.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wouldn't take sleep aids, even OTC. The PM's can actually make restless legs worse and raise anxiety, believe it or not. They can also make you groggy and out of it. You don't want to take anything mood altering. Let your body work itself out naturally, and begin the road back to normal healthy sleep patterns.

you've got nothing to do tomorrow right? so even if you can't sleep tonight, no worries. i know it's not ideal, but this is god d*mn opiate withdrawal. you only have to do it this one last time. and believe it or not, the more pain you feel during the process, the better off you are. months and years from now when this is hopefully just a distant memory, and your having a craving or a doc wants to write your a script for painkillers, you want withdrawal to scare the sh*t out of you.

I know this wasn't what you wanted to hear, but we addicts are so used to reaching for some type pill or drug for a desired effect. When that stops working, we reach for another pill to ease the pain caused by the other pill. It's just not the answer anymore.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

slept for a couple hours last night and woke up with stiff joints but not feeling the groggyness yet
Old 05-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

3rd day is coming to a close - took a long nap today which felt great. feels like im getting a little energy back.... had to go without gatorade for the most part today, i have round the clock access to it at work.... about to go hit the gas station up for some lol it just makes my body feel better when its all nice and hydrated.
other than that.... little groggy here and there but nothing as bad as the first day
Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FT

Hang tight for this part of the rough ride, Prellas. You are on the right track with hydration. Try hot soups, hot green tea, lots of flat pop like Gatorade. If your pee doesn't look like water, you aren't drinking enough. (sorry to be so graphic)

Like Stride says, you will look back on this nightmare that is withdrawal, and hopefully it will be one of the deterrants not to EVER do the opiates thing again.

We're here for ya. Happy Mom's Day, for what it's worth!!

FT
Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

time for bed and im feeling pretty tired like i could sleep all night
happy mothers day again!!! night yall
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Hey man, there is only one way to get through the initial couple weeks, and thats will power and keeping occupied. I hit the GYM up day ONE of quitting and it works. Everyday i felt horrible, as soon as I worked out I would feel 100x better. You need to watch good movies, exercise, and do fun stuff. Bottom line is if you relapse, its becasue you chose to do so. GET RID OF THE PILLS, buckle your chinstrap and do this sh!t. Trust me, you will be so happy in a few weeks.

DO it and PM me with any questions as I bought numerous over the counter supplements that seemed to help out.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

finally got myself a sig too