Notices

Pot addictive?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pot addictive?

I was wondering if pot is addictive...I heard it wasn't so I started using pot, I mean I had before...but I started using it more but I swear it's addictive as well.
I'm kind of relapsing now back into alcohol and opiates. I think I can function better on those, but those allow me to feel my depression worse I think...who knows really. Why do we call it depression...as if it's this sickening entity, no I think it's just a part of my being, my nature. Anyway...advice on how to stop drinking and opiates again? Or to stop pot...I think I need help in ...well I think I need to go to meetings I mean...the problem is over my addictions I am a bit...narcissistic? primarily this only is true when it comes to any sort of "religious" treatment...yea totally don't believe in that. Sorry I'm being so blunt I'm kind of drunk.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have 25 years experience that says pot is addictive...I have 20 years experience that says alcohol can be addictive too.

I know the same applies for opiates.

There's lots of help out there - you don't need to be 'religious' to be part of AA or NA, but there are other non step alternatives too, like SMART or LifeRing. There's also counselling and various inpatient and outpatient rehab options.

All you need to do to start the ball rolling is to decide to do something different, hippyfly.

D
Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
31/10/10

I'm with Dee here. Pot is addictive. It really messed with my brain. I quit about 6 years ago - and then went into heavy drinking, which I managed to quit 6 months ago.
you say:
I'm kind of relapsing now back into alcohol and opiates. I think I can function better on those, but those allow me to feel my depression worse I think..

relapse = functioning better = feeling depressive? I think the functioning better could be an illusion. Remove it from the equation and it makes a bit more sense.

Stick around, I quit weed without a program (hence my increased alcohol consumption) But I am grateful to have found AA wich is helping me with both issues now.

vee
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For sure pot is addictive. Psychologically at least, anyway. Whenever I've relapsed, it was usually pot that started the decline. I'd always justify it by saying to myself, "Well pot isn't that bad. Nobody has any real problems because of smoking pot."

Boy, how wrong I was with that frame of thought. I should have over five years of sobriety, but instead I'm just coming back..........AGAIN.

If you have problems with alcohol and opiates, I would strongly advise staying away from pot as well. I'm not saying this because I read it in a book, I'm speaking from personal experience. My own, and MANY other addicts/alcoholics who've gone through the exact same situation.

Don't take the chance, because it isn't worth it.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of the reasons pot is so addictive is because everyone who smokes says it isn't addictive. The people who say it IS addictive usually get labeled as lame, ignorant, religious nut, racist, etc.

Long story short, yea, it can be addictive as hell, and people will talk your ear off trying to convince you otherwise in order to feel comfortable about their own addiction. I know because I did it myself for years, and I was damn good at it.

I will also add that it is a ***** of an addiction to quit. My advice is to take it marijuana addiction as serious as you would any other.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I gave up pot for a job about 10 years ago (I was a daily smoker for 10 plus years), and found it not too difficult to quit...

Unfortunately, that's exactly the same time that my drinking doubled, which contributed a lot to my alcoholism.

Zube
Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

in my opinion, it's very addicting. ive been trying to stop for years, on and off for the last two years. ive been smoking for 10 years and i feel like i can't be normal without it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pot is very addictive...my husband has been smoking for years and won't quit. If he's out I steer clear. I'm hoping my sobriety will morf into an inspriation for him :-) Thank God it wasn't something I was crazy enough to get into since it made me paranoid sober, although I would induldge in occaisonial toking while drunk and then pass out--crazy stupid. Wasn't hard to put down for me, but then again I had the beer to comfort me....
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I could always take it or leave. Never really did much for me other than make me stupid.