Notices

Am I addicted to Norco?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I addicted to Norco?

I have been clean from booze for over 60 days now but met someone at AA that had some Norco for me. I have been taking about ten per day for about 45 days. I noticed that after going 2 days without it I have no energy or ambition, my nose runs, and I just felt crumby. I am getting off of this crap now too.

My question is this. Given the information provided how bad off am I going to be with the WDs? I would imagine that 45 days is not that bad but my only experience is with alcohol.

After this I am done with anything unless it's given to me by a Doctor.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with Norcos, but I recommend you see your Dr - its in your best interest to get some professional advice.

In future, I'd stay away from people who give you Norcos - or any other kind of medication.

D
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I agree with Dee, consulting a dr. would be a great decision.

Having said that, I have had addictions to many opiate pain killers, including Norco that I started off with. You say 45 days, 10 a day? In my experience, you are going to go thru w/d's. They are a NIGHTMARE, I will not lie. Kicking opiates can be quite difficult. 45 days is long enough for your body/mind to both be addicted to this substance. Is there anyway you can consult a dr about this? They can give you certain medications that can help ease the w/d's.

The thrid time a while back that I went thru w/d's from opiates, I used the Thomas Recipe online...and it did ease my w/d's some.

So glad you are getting off this junk - it only gets worse if you don't stop now. It's a very dangerous, slippy slope when dealing with opiate pain killers.

I wish you luck in your recovery and I also agree with Dee, stay away from people who are offering you pills...from AA or not. It can only lead to disaster.

-Jess
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Poisoned: First off, WELCOME to this forum! You have come to the right place.

My first reaction was to zoom over the ether waves of the internet to strangle whoever it was at AA that gave you NORCOS IN ALCOHOL RECOVERY! Oh my God. Obviously not someone who knows the definition of "clean." That word has been debated elsewhere, so I am not inviting that debate here. Please. But why someone would sabotage your recovery in that way is beyond me.

Get yourself AWAY from that person and anyone else who would do that to you.

Next, get ready for withdrawal, and count yourself pleasantly surprised if it does not happen. Yes, 45 days is much shorter than most of us here have endured, but just in case, give yourself a week of feeling sick at least.

I personally quit alcohol over 20 years ago, from a 15+ year drinking "binge." Ha! Some binge. Quitting the alcohol was a difficult thing to do, and it took about 3 years to feel "home free," but I know that even now I can't drink. Not ever. Not a drop.

I fell into opiate addiction after major surgeries, and could not get off for 2 years. It was harder than quitting alcohol was for me. So please get off this POISON you are on while you can. As a "short timer," cold turkey will probably be no worse than tapering for you, but do check with your doctor. The last thing you need is to turn to alcohol because you feel so sick from opiate withdrawal. If you have a plan, it will be better. Your doctor needs to know you were only a couple of weeks off alcohol when you started the opiates. The cross addiction is strong, and I don't know if it will make your withdrawals any worse than withdrawal from such a short time use would be.

Lastly, congratulations on NOT DRINKING! You CAN be clean from both these poisons, dude. So, hang in there. Just get ready, be prepared for withdrawals, and look forward to being clean for the rest of your life!

FT
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dont have anything to do with anyone who hands out non prescribed meds to you or anyone else.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I really need to have a clean and sober life. I think I have about 15 of them left. I think I will try taking 5 per day for three days and them stop. I don't know for sure that withdrawals will be very bad so I am going to wait and see before seeking help for a doctor as I have no insurance. What do you all think?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kudos to Failedtaper Again!

Ft, you always capture the perfect answers!
I'd consult my doctor regarding the Norco and tell him/her the situation. Opiate withdrawal period is NOT pleasant; I imagine it will be awkward to fess up that you're taking meds that were not prescribed to you, but it is probably the wisest route.
Withdrawals vary in degree and we're all somewhat different in what we experience so you can scope the internet and scare yourself silly, but I wouldn't - just talk with the doc.
And best of luck!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

No insurance

Originally Posted by poisoned View Post
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I really need to have a clean and sober life. I think I have about 15 of them left. I think I will try taking 5 per day for three days and them stop. I don't know for sure that withdrawals will be very bad so I am going to wait and see before seeking help for a doctor as I have no insurance. What do you all think?
I hear ya on the no insurance thing. But do think of a plan about where you will go if you need help, because the ER is a LOT more expensive than a regular doc or even an urgent care clinic.

If you do taper like that, do it religiously, and don't vary from your plan. Once they are gone, figure out how you will not give yourself any further ACCESS to the pills, or you will slide. ACCESS is a recovery killer, dude.

Keep posting, and you'll get lots of support here.

FT
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

It seems no one is asking the question?

If you are in an AA meeting to help you STOP drinking?

Why on Earth, would you take a drug unknown to you?

Were you looking for a substitute to your drinking?

TOD
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know what made me think that these pills would be any different. I have never been addicted to anything other than alcohol before. At this point it really does not matter. What matters now is that I learn from it and not screw up like that again.

I counted all of them and I actually have 25 left so I am going to try to use those to taper down. I also have some Naltrexone and some benzos from a prescription so that should help as well. I am hoping that I am getting to it in time to not have severe withdrawal symptoms. From the reading I have done the symptoms are very similar to that of the flu or a cold; so I may be able to pass it off as that to the people that I am living with. At this point any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Poisoned:

I've never tapered from using the opiates. I've always gone off of them, CT! It's like when I think of stopping my smoking habit. If I were to THINK about quitting! I smoke more. Same as with the opiates. I have 72 days off of them now.

There is also horror stories here on SR about coming off of Benzo's. So I'd be leary of those too.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by: I don't know what made me think that these pills would be any different. Any different from WHAT?

TOD
Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

congrats TOD on your 72 days!!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Poisoned))) - welcome to SR!. I have a similar story, was abusing the heck out of opiates, though when I quit them, I had no withdrawals, and have no answer for why (I was using massive amounts, trust me). However, I went to AA, hooked up with a guy, was a codependent needy mess and he introduced me to crack.

It took 2 days to lose my nursing career and end up with a criminal charge...two days. I don't have insurance either, but my dr. works with me on a payment plan and knows ALL about my addiction.

We're very likely to get addicted to ANYTHING that numbs our feelings. FWIW, I drank like crazy for years, quit - no problem, discovered the opiates, quit - no problem, discovered crack...brought me to my knees and there are consequences I will have to live with the rest of my life.

Be careful with benzo's, very addictive and can cause seizures coming off of them. I've abused something or another for over 25 years, have 4 years in recovery. You really don't want to follow the path that brought me to recovery.

Expect to feel lousy for a bit, but keep working toward recovery. Withdrawals don't last forever, but recovery can.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Congrats TOD on your 72 days!

Poisoned - It's "like" the flu...a bit of an understatement honestly...it's like the flu from he!! times 20, for most. Plan on at least a week of feeling utterly like crap to get that stuff out of your system.

Be careful with the benzos...real careful. The w/d's from those are often twice as long! Just make sure you take them as prescribed and then get the he!! off of them...it would be a shame to get addited to one more thing, ya know?

I've spent the last 11 years substituting one substance for another and another...

I am not familiar with naltrexone but it sounds like you are prepared better than I was I had to go cold turkey many times.

Good luck to you and keep us posted, we'll be here for you!

-Jess
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been clean from booze for over 60 days now but met someone at AA that had some Norco for me..
God, why these people even go to meetings is beyond any of my understanding. Yes, you've kicked alcohol. Good for you. But you've copped another habit AT an AA meeting.

Pick your friends wiser, dude.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't know what made me think that these pills would be any different. I have never been addicted to anything other than alcohol before. At this point it really does not matter. What matters now is that I learn from it and not screw up like that again.
Good call. I've never been one to subscribe to the theory of "Getting off drugs, by using other drugs." (And alcohol *is* a drug.)

Just be more careful who you associate with at meetings. And another thing: Get a sponsor, and run things by him (if you're a man, or her if you're a woman.) when at meetings. Sounds like the people who are going to your meetings don't exactly have the best of intentions. (Which is common place at a lot of meetings.)

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FT

Naltrexone

Wow, I never heard of anyone using Naltrexone to get loaded. It is one of the drugs they use for "rapid detox", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Here is some medical info you can read about it if you want:

"For those who are addicted to opioids, Naltrexone works by blocking the effects of drugs like heroin and cocaine in the brain. As an opioid receptor antagonist, Naltrexone simply blocks the normal reaction of the part of the brain that produces the feeling of pleasure when opioids are taken.

Naltrexone is prescribed only after the person has stopped drinking alcohol or taking opioids for seven to 10 days, because it can cause serious withdrawal symptoms if it is taken while someone is still using drugs."

The above is from this website if you want to know more:

Naltrexone - Naltrexone Treatment for Alcoholism and Addiction
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, last night I wound up taking 8 which is still less than what I usually take. I am going to try for 5 again today. I am still hoping that the withdrawals aren't that bad. Actually I am hoping not to have any at all but we will see when the time comes. I did have periods where I would go a few days without it and it was not that bad; just runny nose and lack of energy. Like I said, we will see when the time comes; which should be in 2-3 days. I don't go to that meeting anymore. I go to a different meeting now and I do have a sponsor but he is not aware of this situation. I probably should have told him in the beginning and I would not be in this position but I think since I know what he would say I did not tell him. If I can kick alcohol I know I can kick this too. Alcohol was very hard for me and I still have cravings for it quite often. Sheesh, I'm a damn mess but still far better off than I was a few months ago. Sad but true.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, man, if you can continue your plan and stick to it, you should be able to do this.

I think your sponsor should know what you are doing. If you have someone besides yourself holding you accountable for your actions, it really does help. And that is one of the things he is for, I hope.

FT
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Thank you all for the valuable advice. I have decided to start tomorrow. I have something important coming up in a couple of weeks and I can't risk not being stable for it. So.. I stop tomorrow. If some of you could maybe add me to your prayers I would really appreciate it.

Wish me luck!!