Notices

Hobbies to get your mind off your troubles

Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hobbies to get your mind off your troubles

Myself I'm an avid tv junkie although I can't watch just anything.
I prefer comedy's,law and order type shows,nfl,and a occasional movie.
I also find reading to be very good to get my mind away from my troubles.
My biggest problem right now is since my childhood up until now I have always been fascinated with the guitar from the sounds it makes to just the way they look to me they look like a piece of art.
I would consider myself an advanced beginner but about 2 months ago my depression took a nasty turn and I haven't played since.
I miss it terribly and have wanted to get back to it I have even started corresponding again with the website forum where I bought my lessons hopefully I can find the strengh to get back into it.
What about you guys what do you do to take your mind off your mental issues?
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

I walk and work out daily.

I hike weekly, whether for just a couple hours or an all day hike on the weekend. I love the quiet and beauty of nature.

Meetup.com was very useful for finding people to hike with and who know the local trails.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my "hobbies" are largely responsible for my ability to stay relatively sane.

I have alot of them. drawing, painting, mixed martial arts, motorcross, radio controlled planes, cars, truggies and buggies. i restore classic cars, play basketball, and i too love comedies. i reciently tried video games again, but found them very frustrating. i like to try alot of different things. keeping myself busy is one of the best tools in my recovery i can have.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've developed alot of hobbies since in recovery... Meditation does wonders for me, or just listening to some soft music...walking in nature, love reading and I just like to putter around...and soon...gardening!!! love pulling those weeds out!!!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have found that although being on the computer and playing games, browsing, checking this forum, my email, my facebook, etc.. is one of my escapes. I has helped to ground me when my anxiety gets too high. Although I have found I probably spend too much time on here but it does cycle so I think it is anxiety driven.

I have started oil painting again in sobriety which although I do not do it frequently enough it is a release and is like the "Calgon take me away" commercials...lol But getting motivated to get into my painting room and do it is sometimes nearly impossible. It too comes in spurts. It also tends to cycle with the highs of my bipolar swings.

When I exercise I find it a good escape as well but once again getting myself in the exercise room to do it can most days be an impossible task. It is something that I am working toward doing more of as it is not only a good escape but the endorphins that are released from it really help with my depression.

Hiking and camping are also good escapes for me. With the Spring, Summer, and Fall months coming right up I look forward to doing more of this. It is a nice escape from people and my mental health issues.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Being on SSI with plenty of time on my handy, having some hobbies is a sanity saver. In the past few years I had to discipline myself to do something creative. Its finding something that is challenging that peaks my interest is what helps.

In the past I really got into HTML/CSS coding so I could totally customize my MySpace page. I'm now puttering around with creating my own webpage. The current fascination is modifying the Sims 2 (PC game) characters and houses with custom content. This gets me to use two complex graphic programs. Also building custom homes in Sims is challenging and rewarding. Its fun when a good design starts to unfold.

Right now I'm needing to put some balance in place. Turning a hobby into an educational pursuit is fun for me, but I can become obsessed with it and spend way to much time on these.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I write. I've been writing poetry for a very long time, somewhere along the lines of 15 years. It's been an incredible outlet for me although I have had horrible writer's block that has sadly lasted the last several years. It is very "depressing" and full of raw emotion. I've been told on numerous occasions that I need to have it published...with the few people I have shared with over the years, my writing has moved them to tears and they have been able to feel thru my words. The biggest compliment I could recieve in regards to my writing!! It's been a dream of mine for years now but very unrealistic at this point in my life because I am a SAHM of a special needs toddler who I am also homeschooling and doing therapy with on a daily basis. This in addition to never ending cleaning, cooking, managing what little money we do have and making sure the bills are paid, handwashing our laundry, etc etc ETC all by myself. I get NO breaks, no sick days, no nothing. All of the responsibility of raising our daughter falls on my shoulders while my husband is content sitting on his a$$ the entire day playing FB games. Doing this instead of trying to find employment. Instead of making an attempt, he'd arhter make sorry excuses and procrastinate....and submit to laziness. Wow how we are complete polar opposites. ANYWAYS.

Dealing with my mental illnesses (ptsd w/ psychosis NOS and Bipolar) and being in a constant state of deep effen depression day in and day out sometimes coupled with black, intense rage and daily migraines, chronic pain conditions that are debiltating (looking at ending up in a wheelchair by 40 yrs old) leave me with ZERO time to do anything for myself. My dreams are clearly put on the back burner because my plate is full. I have no help at all...from anyone. No friends or family makes things incredibly difficult, not to mention being a single parent living in a marriage. I am so lonely. So miserable.

WOW here I go again, rambling and so off topic. Sorry guys, probably boring ya'll. I guess I needed to get that out.

Anyways, I also LOVE music with a passion. I'd be lost without my music. I am pretty eclectic in my tastes but I lean towards 90's grunge (Alice in Chains) and death/black metal. I find it eases some of my anxiety and makes me feel comforted and not so alone in this world. The majority of what I listen to would be referred to as "depressing" and "dark" but this is what I relate to. This is all that I have EVER known.

I have also been focusing on healthier eating and trying to get out of the apartment everyday to walk although my mobility is very limited. I struggle with finding a balance between healthy eating and crossing the line back into eating disorders. I consider myself recovered from anorexia and bulimia but the voices are still in my head and it is a daily struggle just like my drug/alcohol addiction is. I am also recovered from self injury but the thoughts/urges are there, esp. when I am having flashbacks or when my stress is incredibly high.

I am also big into self education. I have an incredibly passion for learning. If I do not know something or am not familiar with it, I MUST learn about it. I don't read fiction books at all, I only enjoy non fiction books. I love educating myself and hope to pass this onto my daughter

So these are my healthy, positive hobbies that I enjoy. I battle with myself on a daily basis to not fall back into my self destructive ways as they have been a significant part of my life.

Thanks for this thread and thank you for allowing me to reveal some of struggles with the demons in my head. I really appreciate having these forums, they have been a great source of support

-Jess
Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A hobby that I just recently got into is aquariums. I have several fish tanks now of all different sizes and kinds. It can be time consuming, but in an enjoyable kind of way. Takes my mind off of everything because I'm so concentrated on them. Nerdy, I know. But I'm glad I got into it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

aww man
hope you get back into it
i miss painting...sigh
Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay, I see another aquarium nut! Fish were my hobby for a very long time, until I got so fish crazy that I turned them into a business instead. Then I wrote when I needed something on the side, and it became my full-time job. Today I'm a complete craft junkie -- I bead, do micro-macrame, button crafts, rag rugs, sewing, crochet, polymer clay sculpture and canes...you name it, I probably have a project underway in it right now. It drives my husband nuts, but it keeps my mind busy to keep depression at bay (most of the time) and I haven't cut in almost eight years now. Something is working .