Notices

Taper or Cold Turkey

Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taper or Cold Turkey

Im really coming to terms with the fact that no good can come of my Vicodin use if I keep going down this road.

Im taking a relatively low dose and wondering if tapering off is even beneficial at this point or if cold turkey is the best route.

I was taking about 5mg once a day for the entire las summer. Moved up to anywhere between 10-60mg a day for a month due to surgery. Stopped altogether for about a month. Used about 5-10mg per day for about a month. Stopped for a couple weeks, and lately for the past two months or so have been taking about 10mg/day during week days, and about 10-30mg/day on the weekends.

I do have it perscribed for pain but it all honestly I dont think my pain justifies narcotics. Its more recreational for me and I want to stop.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it is prescribed, then have you talked to your doc about the best way to stop? Since they are the ones that prescribed it they should have your full history and be able to give you the best plan for stopping, whether it be a taper or CT. I would seriously check with your doc. I checked with mine when stopping opiates, and it helped a lot.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The thing I really like about this board is how honest I feel I can be....

Heres the truth....I think I dont want to tell my doc because Im embarrassed and/or if I decide I am over reacting and Im not really an "addict" then i have burned my only bridge to the drug. Thats as real as I can be....its gonna be a hard step to tell my doc that I take the Vicodin for pleasure and not for pain management.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you though for admitting it. Seriously. Believe me, at least from my personal experiences there are some hard choices. The first day I was completely clean from everything I chucked all my prescription meds (except for one that I heard could be dangerous to stop cold turkey, but since 6 days have passed I think I'm ready) in a dumpster. I was all excited to take that step, but I sat in front of that dumpster just looking at my bag of pills thinking 'Holy @#$@, are you freakin serious? I don't know if I can do this...'. It's not easy leaving your comfort zone (aka your pills) behind with the knowledge that you won't take anymore. As for the addcit part, I don't have enough knowledge to help you out with that one. I know that I am an addict, but I can't help you there. However, you said that you aren't taking them for pain, you are taking them for pleasure, so you are at the VERY least leaning in that direction. Either way, all the more reason to get rid of that stuff now and move on with your life. Good luck and be strong!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

If you want to stop, I really recommend you tell yr Dr, essc...there's no good can come from you letting this cycle go on.

D
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Welcome!

Originally Posted by essc View Post
The thing I really like about this board is how honest I feel I can be....

Heres the truth....I think I dont want to tell my doc because Im embarrassed and/or if I decide I am over reacting and Im not really an "addict" then i have burned my only bridge to the drug. Thats as real as I can be....its gonna be a hard step to tell my doc that I take the Vicodin for pleasure and not for pain management.
Hi ESSC:
I was exactly where you are in terms of telling my doctors before I stopped oxy's. For me, I wasn't really ready to cut the ties to my source, but I did not admit that to myself until a few months later when I realized that if I did not do that, I would never really quit.

There are a couple of reasons to tell your doctor. First of all, they need to know what you are doing, for the sake of your health. If they think you will have adverse affects, they will help you. The other reason is that they need to know that they have unwittingly assisted you to become addicted.

You may not be ready to tell them yet. When you do, you can ask them not to chart you as drug addicted, or dependent, or whatever term you don't want to be used. In my medical chart, it is now documented that I have an "adverse" reaction" to opiate medications. That way, I won't be prescribed them, but I don't have to be labeled either.

Good luck!

FT
Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey essc, I c/t opiates the end of march, but i dont think that was the smartest way for me to go, you must talk to your dr. that would be the smartest way to go in my opinion. hang in there and keep posting.