Notices

OD Dosage

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LOVE will conquer all

OD Dosage

Ok I am NEW here. Not an addict but married to one. Just curious, he was taking these fentaynl pops they are 1600mg he takes 20-30/day. Those are his *choice* otherwise he would easily pop 20 blue 30mg Oxycodone pills. How come he hasnt overdosed? I'm not asking out of stupidity I'm asking because how could a normal 200lb 30 year old take in that much opiates and be able to function. And in case you are wondering he does "function" on that dosage he is able to attend work in an "office environment" and interact with clients via phone. Obviously not drive we live in NYC he can walk or use public transportation if need be.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NeglectedWife

Welcome

It's common sense to suggest there's a lot of individual factors to consider - age, weight/build, physical condition, length of usage/tolerance...

but I haven't really got an answer to your question - I'm not a Dr and neither is anyone else here

We have a family and friends forum here you may be interested in - there's a lot of people here who've been what you're going through - you'd find a lot of support there as well.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

I don't know how long your husband took to get to such a high dose, but it probably didn't happen overnight. A dose that would probably kill a non addict doesn't kill the addict because he or she has developed a tolerance to the drug.

The trouble with tolerance is that it gives the false impression to the addict that they don't risk overdose and death. Anything that potentiates the drug, like using alcohol and opiates, or benzos and opiates, or other combinations, can prove lethal to someone taking their "usual" dose. Sometimes even their usual dose is enough to become a toxic overdose if something shifts the balance in that direction. You hear about accidental overdoses all the time.

I'm not telling you this to scare you, but he's probably built a "confidence" or at least a lack of fear that he can't kill himself on those doses. He may be wrong. I'd strongly encourage you to talk to a doctor and ask these questions. I doubt those doses are medically prescribed. There are drug hotlines in most big cities where you can ask questions anonymously and get the answers you seek.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LOVE will conquer all

He's been sober 4 days. Yes seems very minimal however for us its a huge feat! He used for 4years the fentanyl pops constisently the past 6 months. And unbelievably yes prescribed by a doctor. You know one of this shady doctors you see on 20/20 or Dateline that don't accept insurance and that mandate you get an MRI at the local Radiology clinic located next door which happens to be owned by their "brother" bearing the exact same Middle Eastern name.
When he would be strung out breathing shallow wheezing I would debate dialing 9-11. But then I would wake him up and he would be fine & coherent. It was the crazy chaotic cycle ups and downs. Omg I truly hope this being sober lasts.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Hi again Neglected:

If he is only on day 4 and if he is truly not taking anything, get ready for some pretty hefty withdrawals. You can read a lot about what those are on some of the threads. Opiate withdrawal usually causes gastrointestinal distress (stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.), hot/cold chills, restless legs/restless body, severe insomnia, racing crazy thoughts, body aches big time. Just for starters. Most people in withdrawal get to feeling pretty bad, and if he is doing this without help, you should figure out ahead of time where you will take him if he starts to freak out because he feels so sick. He is unlikely to get through this with a smile.

I still think calling your local drug hotline would be a good resource for you, and you can find out where to get help for him. He may need inpatient rehab.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Here's an Opiate Withdrawal Survival Guide, free on line. The website tries to sell you vitamins, which I have no idea about or opinion about, but the guide is pretty good.

Withdrawal-Ease Opiate Withdrawal Natural Supplement System® » Withdrawal Survival Guide