Notices

Vicodin Addiction?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vicodin Addiction?

Hey guys, just wanna throw my situation out here and see what everyone has to say about it.

Due to low back issues and a spine surgery in my neck, I have had a perscription for Vicodin for about a year now. Since I can write this from a computer screen and dont have to see anyone I will be blunt and totally honest....I dont need it. I like it. It makes me feels good. I could medically justify taking it for low back pain maybe 4-5 days every two or three months. I take it anywhere from 5mg-20mg per day for a few weeks, then stop for a few.....goes like this for the past year now. When I stop, I usually feel a little run down, less energy for about 2 or 3 days but thats it. Maybe Im a little more easily aggitated for a couple days but after that its over. I dont think about it and am able to continue my life normal for anywhere from a week to a month without giving it a thought.

The problem is this...I have been around addicts my whole life, mostly heroin. And while I honeslty dont feel Im "addicted" I recognize the justifications I use. I go a month without it and say to myself

"see! Youre not addicted...you could go the rest of your life and not have it easily...but since youre NOT addicted, theres really no harm in taking 1 or 2 after work to unwind from the day."

Im just super confused right now..I mean could I classify myself as a casual user or abuser or self medicator rather than addict, because I have social anxiety issues and I take Zoloft for it but the Zoloft doesnt help. It helps with the depression but not the fear of social situations. The Vicodin does help though. I feel unafraid to introduce myself to people or engage in conversations longer and more at ease if I take 5-10mg Vicodin once or twice a day.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your heading down a slippery slope. Opiates do kill social anxiety temporarily but don't get to the root of what's causing the issue, and will only make it much worse when your not on them.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

When I was on opiates I would have to take one before a meeting or else I would have bad anxiety (which I never had before). Once I quit, after a month or so the anxiety went away too and now I am fine. Don't use them for that. If you truly have anxiety, go see your doc and he or she will prescribe you an antianxiety or something that's more fitting.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I agree with Stride. At first (maybe for a while) it seems as though they help with anxiety. In the end, all you are going to do is create more problems.This is not a good path you are heading down, coming from someone who has had serious pill addictions.

If you are having severe anxiety, I'd see your PDOC and see about getting put on an anti anxiety medication.

Good luck

Jess
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input guys.

As far as the anxiety goes, its more of like social phobia/anxiety, and my primary dr. perscribed zoloft. I feel like the zoloft is helping with depression and mood but not for the anxiety. He also gave me a script for xanax but that just makes me tired and out of it, and doesnt really help the phobia part.

I do have another appointment with a behaviour therapist dr. that my dr. reffered me to....that appt. is next week so I'll see what she says.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its just that when I take even just a 5mg Vicodin when I get home from work, its like I feel like a better person....Im more patient with my kids, a better listener to my wife, more willing to go play outside or go on a walk with my kids...and its not like I am even getting "high" its just like I feel peace you know? I mean I took up to 30mg over the course of one day and that had me feeling horrible. Definitely had a Vicodin "high" and didnt like it at all...I had the peace but I was all hazy and in a fog.

The reason I came on this board mainly was because sometimes I will just start to feel really guilty and shamefull for using it. Its like the "stigma" of "popping pills" I feel like a low life, but I mean its like I dont see a downside....I heard someone once say that addiction is the continued use of a substance in spite of negative consequences.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We're probably going to be a little biased because we are addicts and we're going to see addict behavior in what you are doing. Sure, you might think you are fine now and yes, part of addiction is still doing your drug of choice (DOC) despite negative consequences, but also counting your DOC, worrying about your DOC, when you're next going to take your DOC. This is all part of the cycle too. Taking something just because it makes you feel better, well that is human nature. We smoke cigs, eat foods, put on make-up, get our hair done, buy clothing or treats, go to the movies... All kinds of things we do to make ourselves feel better. It's when you start obsessing over it when it can become a problem if you don't recognize it right away. Of course I am not encouraging you to continue taking vicodin just because it makes you feel better or makes you feel more socialable because it's not for that kind of thing. It is for pain. If the xanax are not working, get with your doctor. Let him or her know what is and is not working. Also it might be a good idea to ask them about concerns with vicodin addiction and that you know people who are addicts and you are concerned about becoming addicted.
I've been there as I have had vicodin in the past. One time, when I took too much I was so awful sick. This was back in the day when I was substituting vicodins for my crack addiction. I didn't ever do that again. I really hated the feeling! Be careful. It's definitely not child's play just because a dr. prescribed it and it's a legal product.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Your martini in a pill....

This is your argument "for":

"see! Youre not addicted...you could go the rest of your life and not have it easily...but since youre NOT addicted, theres really no harm in taking 1 or 2 after work to unwind from the day."

Here is my argument "against":

There are people who can drink one or two martinis every night and never think twice about it and never go on to drink more.

It is when our drug becomes "important" to us for non-prescribed reasons that should raise a red flag.

The fact that you are taking it to "feel good" should concern you. Opiates have the nasty characteristic of causing adaptation of your dopamine receptors where more drug is required to get the same effect. Most people who fell into addiction will tell you that is exactly what happened to them.

Something my husband said to me when he was trying to convince me that taking opiates daily was not a good idea. Actually he said more than one thing, but one was that "normal" people do not need opiates to function. Neither do "normal" people "need" that martini after work. The test comes when you take that martini away, or in your case your vicodin. Does it cause you distress not to have it? Do you feel something is "missing"? There are lots of questions you can ask yourself.

The other thing my husband said to me when I told him I "needed" my oxys to get going in the morning. That was, "How would you feel if I "needed" a shot of booze in my morning coffee to "start my day"? Wow. To me that hit home. Somehow it seems to be socially acceptable to have that evening drink, but what about in the morning? What's the difference?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by essc View Post
Hey guys, just wanna throw my situation out here and see what everyone has to say about it.

Due to low back issues and a spine surgery in my neck, I have had a perscription for Vicodin for about a year now. Since I can write this from a computer screen and dont have to see anyone I will be blunt and totally honest....I dont need it. I like it. It makes me feels good. I could medically justify taking it for low back pain maybe 4-5 days every two or three months. I take it anywhere from 5mg-20mg per day for a few weeks, then stop for a few.....goes like this for the past year now. When I stop, I usually feel a little run down, less energy for about 2 or 3 days but thats it. Maybe Im a little more easily aggitated for a couple days but after that its over. I dont think about it and am able to continue my life normal for anywhere from a week to a month without giving it a thought.

The problem is this...I have been around addicts my whole life, mostly heroin. And while I honeslty dont feel Im "addicted" I recognize the justifications I use. I go a month without it and say to myself

Im just super confused right now..I mean could I classify myself as a casual user or abuser or self medicator rather than addict, because I have social anxiety issues and I take Zoloft for it but the Zoloft doesnt help. It helps with the depression but not the fear of social situations. The Vicodin does help though. I feel unafraid to introduce myself to people or engage in conversations longer and more at ease if I take 5-10mg Vicodin once or twice a day.
RUN RUN RUN as fast as u can, omg i wish id never ever took anything, on the other hand if i had done like u and kept it under control, i wouldnt feel this way, but i do know, once opiates have u they have u in a nasty way, different than anything else. be careful, please, if i can't help anyone any other way other than just to say, im tortured every day with what i have gotten myself into.and now have such a battle to get out. so, please just stay away from them if u can. its sooooo not worth it. thats just my knee jerk reaction to anyone who is using, but i do realize there are people who are not as weak as i am and don't get into trouble. so anyway, good luck
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Damn! I feel like a friggin werewolf, and vicodin is my full moon...

Every morning, (about this time) I feel sober minded and like I can think clearly and see that I am not heading down a good road....I feel like throwing all my pills down the garbage disposal and confessing my doc about my reason for using them> Just like a werewolf I feel like warning everyone about my use and making them promise to lock up the pills and no matter what I say or do, DO NOT give them to me....

But that little tiny voice is in the back of my mind telling me to hold on a second....lets just think about this for a minute....dont make any final decisions just yet. I mean its not like youre taking 30 pills a day like "real" addicts....

Right now, in the morning that voice is small but by the time I get off work that voice is all I hear. Then I take a pill, feel great, feel peace....then wake up and on beat myself up about it the whole drive to work...promise myself I wont do it tonight when I get home....then it starts all over.

FML....thanks for listening.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by essc View Post
dont make any final decisions just yet. I mean its not like youre taking 30 pills a day like "real" addicts....
Oooo, right there I can relate. I wasn't a REAL crackhead. I had a cellphone and a truck! Whoa! My own "whip" "ride" "vehicle" whatever you want to call it. I wasn't like those crackheads who stole to get money for their crack. I wasn't like those crackheads who rode a bike or walked to get their dope. Nope. Not me. I wasn't a crackhead at all. I just smoked crack with them and let them use me to go to the stores to steal that stuff so they could get money to buy crack to share it with me. Oh yeah......
No, we may all be very different, but all of us shared one thing in common. We were crackheads. Didn't matter that I had a cellphone and a truck, and sometimes even a real job. Once the job got in the way I quit. Burned a lot of bridges just to get that crack and what do I have to show for it? NADA. Nothing. Zip.
Addiction, whether you believe it is a disease or not, is very cunning either way! Your brain will trick you into all kinds of junk.
Talk to a Dr. asap.