Notices

Back in the horse :)

Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back in the horse :)

Well as many times as I've fallen down I am determined to keep getting back on. I want to thank everyone that brings a positive vibe to this site. I of all people know just how fragile someone can be during their early stages of recovery. I'm a 34 year old Sales Manager who most days can't believe I still have my job. This oxy ride has been hell on earth. I keep wondering how a guy with a masters degree from one of the top schools in the country could end up rolling change to get to work and being almost two months behind on his mortgage? Okay, enough self pitty. Just wanted to say thank you, again
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi itsnowornever:

Like cancer, addiction doesn't discriminate. There is a saying I don't particularly like, but it seems to be true: "The bigger they are, the harder they fall"

If nothing else, having become addicted myself has changed my world view. Addicts are not defective human beings, they are just human beings. Everyone deserves respect and help. I think it is wonderful that, on this forum, everyone is welcomed and we don't care what brought them here.

We would love to hear more of your story. There are actually lots of us just like you out there. I hope that your post inspires others to share their own struggle, and in doing so help us all.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was 30 when I entered the world of recovery. Today
some 20 yrs sober, recovery is a way to enjoy life
whether it be alcohol or drug free. Me, it's alcohol.

Recovery is so awesome because it doesnt matter if
you are a salesman with a degree or me, was a homemaker,
or a football player, executive, minister, rich, poor, educated,
medical career and so on.....we all have a similar problems
with a common solution, recognizing we have a problem
and yes there is a remarkable solution to help each one of us.

When I picked up the tools and knowledge of my alcoholism
and began applying it to my life then that was when I slowly
began to reap the rewards of recovery. I also listened and absorbed all I could from the many that have stayed sober for yrs before me leading the way for me to follow.

From what I learned from them I pass on to those still suffering and in turn that keeps me sober another day as I learned early on, I cant keep my rocovery if I dont give away the knowledge that was so freely passed on to me.

Share with others what it was like before during and after alcohol and reap the rewards.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows I wasn't trying to sound arrogant when talking about my profession or schooling. Believe you me. The last 5 years of my life have been extremely humbling.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi itsnowornever, glad you're with us - refusing to give up No worries here, I didn't pick up any arrogance when reading your post..

I'm glad you're here and agree with FT, would love to hear more about your story. You never know who it's going to help when we share our stories and struggles with addiction.

Oxy will sure take you for one helluva a ride, been there myself.

Keep on posting, we'll be around. Best of luck to you!

-Jess
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

NOT Arrogant

Originally Posted by itsnowornever View Post
I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows I wasn't trying to sound arrogant when talking about my profession or schooling. Believe you me. The last 5 years of my life have been extremely humbling.
Hell no! You don't sound arrogant to me.

We are all educated in one way or another. That's why I tell people to QUESTION their doctors and other professionals. Those folks are only other human beings who have gone to school for awhile. None of them has EVERY pertinent fact in their head, nor should they. We are not infallible. An addict has more knowledge about addiction in their little finger than anyone else who thinks they know about addiction, unless they are addicts themselves. We have the ability to teach others, especially if we have found a way out of our own addiction. But we all also have something to learn.

Everyone's story has validity, meaning, and hopefully something to learn from.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR.....

I certainly hope this will be your last go round with addiction