Notices

new addiction to online family:-)

Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new addiction to online family:-)

hey i saw that there isn't many threads or posts for today...so i just wanted to say hi and hope all are having a happy sober day...me...well i don't feel that good physically...but i am dealing with it and loving my new addiction...being here with my "soul family" these forums have helped me already...thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi and welcome Jessiecat!

I'm sorry you haven't had many replies yet. For some reason, the forum has been very quiet for the past few days. I think a lot of people get busy and, even if they read the posts, they are on their way somewhere and think "maybe later."

I am here a lot. I am 4 months clean from a 2 year oxycodone addiction, which for me came about after double orthopedic surgeries on my knees. I still struggle at times -- not so much that I have been tempted to use, because I have set up a NO ACCESS situation for myself -- but days that are great, and days not so much. But, that's life isn't it? I used to think I had to medicate myself against any and all "bad days."

I hope you are well. I briefly checked out your threads yesterday, but didn't get time to post until later on. I usually post on the Kicking the Ox thread. You will find people over and over on the same threads, mostly because we are looking for our "buds" there, who also read and post. Nothing exclusive at all, really, just familiarity.

There are lots of good people on that thread. It is a long one, and is a continuation from "I'm going cold turkey..." thread. Lots of good reading for figuring out what to think about withdrawal symptoms.

I came here really scared in my first days of withdrawal, and I found an amazing amount of support here.

We're all glad to see your posts, so don't be shy about jumping onto another thread, any one that you feel is comfortable for you.

Welcome again!

FT
Old 04-16-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Hi and welcome Jessiecat!

I'm sorry you haven't had many replies yet. For some reason, the forum has been very quiet for the past few days. I think a lot of people get busy and, even if they read the posts, they are on their way somewhere and think "maybe later."

I am here a lot. I am 4 months clean from a 2 year oxycodone addiction, which for me came about after double orthopedic surgeries on my knees. I still struggle at times -- not so much that I have been tempted to use, because I have set up a NO ACCESS situation for myself -- but days that are great, and days not so much. But, that's life isn't it? I used to think I had to medicate myself against any and all "bad days."

I hope you are well. I briefly checked out your threads yesterday, but didn't get time to post until later on. I usually post on the Kicking the Ox thread. You will find people over and over on the same threads, mostly because we are looking for our "buds" there, who also read and post. Nothing exclusive at all, really, just familiarity.

There are lots of good people on that thread. It is a long one, and is a continuation from "I'm going cold turkey..." thread. Lots of good reading for figuring out what to think about withdrawal symptoms.

I came here really scared in my first days of withdrawal, and I found an amazing amount of support here.

We're all glad to see your posts, so don't be shy about jumping onto another thread, any one that you feel is comfortable for you.

Welcome again!

FT
dude...i am just getting familliar how to use threads and posts...i am faking it till i am making it lol...guess i should read some instructions but that has never been my forte...but i do love it here and am enjoying it completely...i feel gratitude that i can even sit here and talk to all of you...a little over a year ago i was a dirty homless addict with swolen arms from shooting two twenty dollar baggies of coke at a time...that is where my addiction quickly took me...i have tried just about everything but my demon was that coke shot....and seriously...i saw hoplessness and death for me by the end of it. So i feel i am very fortunate because alot of "me s" out there don't have that luxury. I am sorry for your pain....i too have alot of physical pain as well. Ok and i will be honest here...against my better judgment because i haven't ever seen people talking about it...but i need to get support on it...so here goes...i have hep c from using needles....i was told my levels aren't that high yet but they are getting there and i will need interfuron treatments soon...i am scared....but i know i must deal with the reprocusions of my past and that is one of them. I am so scared of the stigma that goes along with having hep c but better out than inbodes true for me on this one. anyways i have cronic pain from the disease like acheiness and fatigue...it sucks...but at least there is a cure(so they say) possible for it. I also have to go for a treadmill stress test because of abnormal ekg....so agfain i am worried...also i need an ultrasound of abdomin because of pain...yuk!! i am so stressed out...but i know that is part of recovery...dealing with the "yukies" of using. thanks again for your post you gave me the courage to stop hiding from the pain and confronting it head on...way to go!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hey Jess,

If you ever want to "talk" privately, feel free to PM me. I can't give you medical advice, of course, but I can share some medical research information with you if you want to know more about what you are about to go thru.

FT
Old 04-16-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Hey Jess,

If you ever want to "talk" privately, feel free to PM me. I can't give you medical advice, of course, but I can share some medical research information with you if you want to know more about what you are about to go thru.

FT
pm is private message you? i tried and it said you don't allow them??
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Jessie I'm also usually on the threads FT is talking about but haven't been on in a couple of days. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading your posts and you're not alone! I've had a long history of addiction from being a homeless junkie living on the streets of Detroit to alcohol and more recently pain pills. I live in chronic pain as well which is what started my problem with pills. I'm glad that you feel comfortable with us enough to share something like that, there is NOTHING to be ashamed of. I was lucky to escape IV drug abusing without that consequence. I cannot imagine how scary it must be for you right now, but we are here to listen! I'll be around more often, so if you ever need a listening ear, please feel free to contact me. Take care of yourself (())
-Jess
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iliveforyou View Post
Hi Jessie I'm also usually on the threads FT is talking about but haven't been on in a couple of days. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading your posts and you're not alone! I've had a long history of addiction from being a homeless junkie living on the streets of Detroit to alcohol and more recently pain pills. I live in chronic pain as well which is what started my problem with pills. I'm glad that you feel comfortable with us enough to share something like that, there is NOTHING to be ashamed of. I was lucky to escape IV drug abusing without that consequence. I cannot imagine how scary it must be for you right now, but we are here to listen! I'll be around more often, so if you ever need a listening ear, please feel free to contact me. Take care of yourself (())
-Jess
thanks for reading and just being there...i friend requested you...have an awesome day!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Jess,

I tried to fix my PM so it will receive anyone's message, but it seems only to let my contacts do that. You are now on my "friends" list, so you can PM me any time!

FT
Old 04-16-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jess- glad to see you on here today. It's my second day, and I'm proud of that. Hopefully we can both keep hanging on. I know it gets better- despite all of our other issues. Staying sober can only help in the long-term, I think. I've had painful muscle spasms for a couple years. Luckily I more or less stayed away from opiates (I've had short periods of over indulgence), but with alcohol, everything kind of hurts. But maybe I'll take a bath, and drink some chamomile tea. It's time to take care of my body, rather than mask the pain, I guess!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

***typo- "without alcohol, everything kind of hurts" although the opposite is in some way true!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Welcome johnc!

So good to see your post. We are all about SUBSTANCES here, and alcohol is no less a substance than anything else you will see people talking about on this forum. I am just 4 months clean from oxys after a 2 year addiction. But I quit alcohol over 20 years ago after a 15 year problem with that. Good you haven't abused opiates, because an addiction to one substance likely means you can slip into addiction to another one like I did with opiates.

Good luck. Keep posting. We would love to hear more of your story.

Ft
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Ft! I certainly am cautious of opiates. I've used them in the past while visiting family who know I'm an alcoholic (especially last this Christmas for a few weeks). I've sort of leaned on hydrocodone and lorazapam in the past to get through those times (it seems I could always find an open bottle somewhere if I needed it).
Alcohol has been my first drug of choice, but I'm lucky that opiate addiction is still more or less a 'not yet'.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello again Jessie and Jon...

Jessie...this new addiction is free...informative and supportive ...
That's not true of anything else addictive I know about.

Jon...yes...water is good for early alcohol de tox... ..drink a lot
and warm water baths or showers will relax you.
Try a bit of walking and don't forget to eat something ..k?
Good to see you sharing...
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=CarolD;2937257]Welcome and Hello again Jessie and Jon...

Jessie...this new addiction is free...informative and supportive ...
That's not true of anything else addictive I know about.

That is AWESOME!!!!! love it here already!!!! Thanks for the warm welcome!!!!!!