Notices

Ultram addiction

Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ultram addiction

I am a recoverng xanax addict. Been cleen for 12 yrs. Will never do it again because withdrawal was something i can only live thru once. I have back problems and have been prescribed Ultram. I read about people getting hooked on this stuff, and the detox being tough. How do you get addicted to it? Can it creep up on you.

I get no buzz. I take it as prescribed, but will need it for some time. Are the addicted only abusing it for a high?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I take it for back pain as well & find that it is helpful. I believe that it can be addicting but it isn't as likely as Vicodin or Oxycotin. In my state Ultram isn't even a controlled substance. It's funny some doctors have told me Ultram is considered a narcotic while others have told me it's not.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been addicted to Ultram. If I tool 1-2, as prescribed, I got no "high". I had already been addicted to vicodin and percocert before. Truthfully, only went after the Ultram b/c I could not get the others any more and I had read that it can make you high :o( Well, I ended up with taking about 1000mgs a day. I felt awful on it by the end and had the scariest withdrawl from it. It can be deadly in doses over 400mg. Be careful!

My husband has a back injury and takes it. He takes no more that 200mg a day. I made him lock it up from me and not tell me where it is b/c I dont want to be tempted. be careful if you are prone to addiction. It can be safe and helpful as long as you following the doc's orders. I know I cannot and now must stay away from anything that has the potential to be addictive or abused.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ultram CAN be abused. From what I've read, here, people who have taken enough of it do get a buzz. I've used it, before, for back pain and it worked pretty good.

Ultram withdrawal is very dangerous..similar to the benzo's in that it often causes seizures.

When it was first introduced (I was an RN, back then), it was touted as a "non-narcotic" pain reliever. However, it's now obvious that it CAN be addictive, and cause problems with high doses.

As long as you're using it as prescribed, I don't see a problem. However, I would make sure your dr. knows of your previous addiction. I told my dr., the first time I met him, and though I've taken something that is addictive (for PTSD/sleep problems), I do NOT abuse it and he makes me come in and talk to him, to see "where I'm at" before he will give me anything. I even take the bottle in there, so he can see that I'm not even using the amount prescribed.

It's an accountability thing for me. I have NO desire to become addicted to anything else, and work hard at recovery to keep that frame of mind.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've used Ultram occasionally when prescribed by a doctor who knows about my addiction issues. I've never abused it, like Impurrfect I don't need another addiction. I've never gotten a "high" from it.

Different people have different reactions to it though. As with any medication, OTC, or prescribed by a doctor if you cannot take it as directed, it's time to look at other options.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommydig View Post
I get no buzz. I take it as prescribed
I think you answered your own question. And only you know what your motivations for taking it are. If it's being used properly and for the right reasons, it is not being abused. Can it creep up on you? If it's abused and you let it, then yes, probably so. This is why I like NA and have a sponsor to share my accountability with.

Having said that....I have seen your other threads and see that you are self medicating with soma and are admittedly using typical addict thinking in not telling your doctor so you can keep using.

Did you know there are many non-narcotic pain medications available today? Honesty with your doctor about being an addict is crucial to getting started with a medical approach that may be best for you.

12 years off alcohol does not mean you are "clean" if you are using unprescribed soma.

Getting help makes it easier,
Missy
Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was prescribed it for my back pain, after I complained about the potentional for abuse of vicodins. My doctor knows I am a recovering crack addict. I told him I was afraid that I might abuse vicodins, mostly because my body was already getting a tolerance and I could take 5-6 a day without blinking or feeling any side effects and that worried me. Two trams a day have worked for nearly a year now and they also work with my PMS pains and wacked out knee fromm my auto accident. I, too, heard that they can be addictive though. Just a few months ago and it kinda upset me, but since I told my doctor I am in recovery and told him my concerns, I trust that we'll keep in contact and keep a good relationship with the tramadol.
I've also never gotten a buzz, per se, but it does keep me energetic and awake so two a day is enough to quell the pain I have, and I don't take it every day either. Some days I get my body in sync and no one hurts. LOL