Notices

12 yrs sobriety in jeopardy

Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 yrs sobriety in jeopardy

I am a recovering alcoholic who has had many good things happen since I got sober in 1998. 12 yrs is in jeopardy, though, because I have developed Degenerative Disk Disease and have been taking Soma- at first as prescibed, but now at my own discretion, which is growing. I started on 2 a day, and now am up to 4 and I can see where this is going if I dont wake up.

Talk to me.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey tommy, congrats on the 12 years that's impressive. have you told your doc about your history and ask if he could prescribe something non-abusive?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Alcohol as a predictor

Originally Posted by tommydig View Post
I am a recovering alcoholic who has had many good things happen since I got sober in 1998. 12 yrs is in jeopardy, though, because I have developed Degenerative Disk Disease and have been taking Soma- at first as prescibed, but now at my own discretion, which is growing. I started on 2 a day, and now am up to 4 and I can see where this is going if I dont wake up.

Talk to me.
Hey Tommy,

Please be careful. Muscle relaxers are indeed potentially addictive.

I have severe osteoarthritis and had both knees replaced in 2009. This led to a two year addiction to oxycodone, and I am just now almost 4 months off the drug.

There are in fact non-pill forms of pain control you can ask your doctor about. Make sure they know you are in recovery from alcohol.

I stopped alcohol over 20 years ago. I did not seek out to become addicted to oxycodone, but it was a easy downhill slide for me when it occurred.

You can avoid a lot of anguish right now by working with your docs to control your pain without risking a narcotic addiction. For me, it was so much worse than alcohol, and quitting alcohol was really hard. I spent probably 5 years trying to quit alcohol before I stopped, after trying to be a "social drinker" over and over again, which never worked. I spent all of 2010 trying to quit oxycodone, because in the end it actually made my arthritis pain worse than it helped it. For a number of reasons, not the least of which is that you reach a tolerance level after which it stops being as effective, and then you start getting toxic if your dose goes any higher.

It's not too late, but in my opinion, you should tell your doctor about your alcohol recovery and ask for something you won't become addicted to. You may even have some withdrawal symptoms from the dose you are already on of the Soma, which I understand are not unlike oxy withdrawal but maybe not as bad. I don't know much about that, but ask your doctor for help with that, too.

Good luck. DDD does not have to mean a life addicted to opiates. There are lots of choices.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dont think you understand. I am a former junkie, and i dont want to tell my dodc, because i want to keep on taking soma. Typical addict logic.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well buddy we cant help you with that. If you dont want to quit there is not much to say. I think deep down inside you DO want to quit. You are on this board for a reason.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Of course you want to keep using it.

Back to the meetings, working the steps, etc. It's not about the drug, being diagnosed with DDD is a blow and self medication is easier than all that hard work though.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Might be a good time for a "90 meetings in 90 days"

Zube
Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I go to my doctor for whatever reason
which Im glad is very rare, but just incase I
always make sure my doctors are aware that
I am in recovery and have been for 20 yrs now
and that if any medicine is required that they
dont give me anything that is habit forming
nor narcotic.

See my recovery is extremely important to me
and my health. So being honest in all my affairs
is that important to me.

AA helps me stay sober. Doctors are for my heath.
Using them accordingly is important to me.

My husband just found out he has some wearing away
on his disc as well disturbing nerve endings and affecting
his work performance. He's going for an MRI today
for more testing but in the meantime he is on a generic
medicine to aliviate the pain. He also told the doctor he is
in recovery and not to give him anything habit forming and
in doing so he was given the weakest of pain meds available
till they figure out what needs to be done.

In fact this morning he forgot to take it before work and
is experiencing some discomfort. At least he's going to the
doctor this after work.

Follow thru and protect ur recovery.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tommy - I have taken Soma on and off during my 20 years of using. period of use and never had problems with stopping and I was taking much more than you - up to 12 or 15 pills per day. However, all of our body chemistries are different and you never know. If I remember, 3-4 pills a day is within the therapuetic dose. Alhtough I am not a medical expert, there are other muscle relaxers such as Selexa that have no potential abuse if I remember correctly. You may wish to research.
Good luck to you and it is always good to stay away form ANYTHING potentially addictive when you are in recovery. We have walked in your shoes and let us know how you are doing!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((Tommy))) - if you want to keep using it, upping your doses, we can't stop you. However, as mentioned, you ARE here, so I think you don't want to go down that path again.

I've taken soma when my back flares up from a previous ruptured disc. However, I have NO desire to get high on them. That's because I don't want to go down the path I did before...first alcohol, then opiates, then crack. Stopped the alcohol and opiates without a problem. Crack? That brought me to my knees.

Do you REALLY want to become addicted to something else, then when bad stuff starts happening (and it will), go through the withdrawal stuff all over again?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Unhappy Gotcha

Originally Posted by tommydig View Post
I dont think you understand. I am a former junkie, and i dont want to tell my dodc, because i want to keep on taking soma. Typical addict logic.
Ahhhhhhhhh....

NOW I understand the reasoning behind all of your posts today.

Like another poster said, if you are looking for help to stay ON drugs, you won't find much help for that kind of thinking here.

No one wishes you pain, here. It's just we all know the anguish of getting hooked on something and then trying to find the road back.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sooo......you obviously want to use, and you've been around the block with booze, and you admit you're a former junkie.

I dont think it's any kind of secret what's going to happen to you if you don't get honest with your doctor and yourself, right?