Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Overdose On Adderall 8 Months Ago. Please Help!

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I realize this is a recovery forum and I can assure all of you that I haven't and will never again touch drugs or booze. Please help if you can. I wanna be me again.

So I was stupid and some girl gave me 5 of her Adderall pills (100mg total) and I took them all at once. I was really depressed as my Father had suddenly passed away in April and my girlfriend of nearly 9 years left me just a month later. I had a few beers and a shot on top of the pills and really didn't feel any effects until I got home at 3:00am. I of course could not sleep and was restless. I had no overdose symptoms though with the exception of a racing heart. Anyway, the next day I got up, though I don;t believe I actually slept, and got a 5 Hour Energy drink as I was pretty crashed but still pretty awake too. I went about my day as usual and I thought everything was going to be ok.

Then Sunday night, I had to poop and ended up getting a hemorrhoid which I had never experienced before. Wait...it get's scarier. I went to the ER the next day as my thumbs were numb and tingly and I went online and read a bit about Adderall and that scared me pretty good. They did an EKG on me and the doctor assured me that all would be ok. With that I was stoked that everything would return to normal and I'd get a second lease on life...boy was I wrong. The next few weeks were pretty normal. My thumbs still tingled a bit and I would get these weird zap like feelings in my head but I carried on anyway and over the next few weeks I was able to go to work everyday, see some movies, go to a few dinners and even hooked up with this pretty girl at a bar. Life was gonna be alright, I thought.

Ok, here's where everything gets weird and unexplainable. I was laying on my couch one night and I felt this weird feeling, it felt as though an energy of some sort ran down from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. Like this weird wave feeling. To top that off, I had a feeling like there was a liquid running down my neck, underneath the skin. I was driving home from work one night a few days later and felt this weird feeling (like a electrical sensation) over my head and face and all at once I seem to have lost most of my sense of smell and taste.

Over the course of the next few months a bunch of other symptoms came into play, although I don't exactly know when they happened as I may just not have noticed them until later. Here is what is plauging my life and won't seem to go away: I have lost the ability to sweat even the tiniest bit, I have blood in my nose everyday, I have lost feeling (have numbness) over most of my body, my index fingers are now numb and tingly, I also have very strange bowell movements, only urinate about once a day and my urine is foamy. My muscles ache, I have muscle spasms that can be seen underneath the skin over just about all of my body. My hair and nails have stopped growing totally and body hair falls off easily. Scrapes/cuts are taking a very long time to heal. My sense of smell is way off (especially when it comes to exaust/fume type smells) and my taste has diminished quite a bit. My hands fall asleep randomly, mostly at night, and sometimes lose my breath when trying to sleep. I've lost a ton of muscle tone in my legs and arms, my testicle sac is loose and my testicles themselves seem to be larger than before.

Add to that the lovely fact that I seem to now be impotent and I ask myself what is the point of living like this anymore? I had so much going for me before I made the mistake of taking these pills. By the way, I've been to several doctors, 6 different hospitals, a Neurologist, had a catscan and an MRI. Lots of blood work too and they can't find anything! Even saw a psychiatrist about this because all my friends think it's all in my head. What have I done to myself?! Could this really all have spawned from 100mg of Adderall just one time?! Any insight or helpwould be greatly appreciated. I just wanna get back to normal!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Adderall sucks... wow, you've been through a lot, and are still suffering. It sounds scary. Your post attracted me because I am on ADD meds..Ritalin. I am also on Wellbutrin for depression. I've noticed some of what you are experiencing, and I have before abused the Ritalin recreationally, but I would also be concerned about your ongoing symptoms. I'd stick with the doctors, and maybe pick a different psychologist who specializes in drug abuse and ADHD, and may have special insights.

Good luck. Keep coming back here for your own sanity. You are not alone.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I had never touched the stuff before but some girl told me it'd 'pick me up' as I was incredibly down due to my long term girlfriend leaving me. If I could take it all back, I would in an instant. Just still having trouble understanding how 100mg of an ADD drug could do all of this to me. I threw my life away over a girl that truly didn't even care about me. I'm such a loser.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

It's easy to feel that way, but you are here, and reaching out, so you are not a loser. Hopefully, in the end, it will be a lesson well-learned, and you will be restored. ADD drugs are powerful, and mind-altering, even when taken as prescribed. I know I function better on them, but am on a very low dose. But I do wonder what they are doing to me long term.

Stick with the doctor route you are taking. Hopefully the worst effects are over. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

I can see why you would be scared. I don't know whether the Adderall did anything to you, but I wonder if it could have unmasked something you already had going on, or were about to have going on.

You have so many symtoms, and I'll bet you have Googled them all. Have you seen a Rheumatologist? The first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was something with your nervous system, autoregulation of your body systems, and maybe something like an autoimmune disorder is going on. That's where a Rheumatologist comes in.

Ever heard of Sjögren's syndrome? I am not saying that is what you have, but people with that disorder have a lot of your same symptoms, and doctors often don't know how to diagnose it. Read about it on line, but I would not give up on the doctor searching. Doctors are only human beings that have gone to school longer than you have. I haven't met one yet that doesn't need to consult his medical books for disease syndromes when trying to diagnose a difficult symptom complex. But I would check out Rheumatology, and ask them about autoimmune disorders that affect the nervous system.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First off, I'm not a doctor and I know nothing about you, but I will give you my honest opinion here just based on what you wrote. I can tell you it's highly unlikely, almost impossible, that Adderall you took one time 8 months ago are causing these wide range of symptoms, even if you did actually "OD". By the sound of it, it doesn't even seem like your experience that night was abnormal for adderall use at all. Not that it's healthy or recommended, but restlessness and a racing heart are normal while on relatively high doses of stimulants. When the drug is out of the system, these effects go away. If you did cause some sort of heart damage, which again is unlikely, it would've been picked up on the EKG.

The fact that you've been to all these hospitals and doctors and can't find anything suggests it's probably psychosomatic. The fact that these symptoms started so soon after this adderall incident is likely due to the anxiety you felt over your health, and your father. The mind is more powerful than you think.

Just to get a better sense though, so we can completely rule out the adderall..

1.)Did you ever take adderall before this? If so, how often and how much?
2.) Did you take 100 mg all at once? Was it instant release adderall or XR?
3.) How much do you weigh? (dont answer if you dont want) Did you have anything in your stomach before you took it?
4.) how did you feel an hour or so after taking it?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, AS:

Sorry, in my email to you I asked if you were a guy or woman. Obviously you are a guy. I would also think maybe psychosomatic, except so many of your symptoms are expressive of a particular nervous system, that of autoregulation or the autononomic nervous system, and you have things going on with your exocrine glands that are not vague. I hope you don't give up on getting help.

Oftentimes, unusual presentations are best dealt with at the places that teach medicine to doctors. The medical school universities almost all have outpatient clinics and often free services and clinical trials of new drugs that people can opt into or out of.

In other words, start at the top and work down. Don't start at the bottom and work up. (doctor-wise, I mean)
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
First off, I'm not a doctor and I know nothing about you, but I will give you my honest opinion here just based on what you wrote. I can tell you it's highly unlikely, almost impossible, that Adderall you took one time 8 months ago are causing these wide range of symptoms, even if you did actually "OD". By the sound of it, it doesn't even seem like your experience that night was abnormal for adderall use at all. Not that it's healthy or recommended, but restlessness and a racing heart are normal while on relatively high doses of stimulants. When the drug is out of the system, these effects go away. If you did cause some sort of heart damage, which again is unlikely, it would've been picked up on the EKG.

The fact that you've been to all these hospitals and doctors and can't find anything suggests it's probably psychosomatic. The fact that these symptoms started so soon after this adderall incident is likely due to the anxiety you felt over your health, and your father. The mind is more powerful than you think.

Just to get a better sense though, so we can completely rule out the adderall..

1.)Did you ever take adderall before this? If so, how often and how much?
2.) Did you take 100 mg all at once? Was it instant release adderall or XR?
3.) How much do you weigh? (dont answer if you dont want) Did you have anything in your stomach before you took it?
4.) how did you feel an hour or so after taking it?
1: I took one 20mg Adderall IR about a year or so before my 100mg consumption

2: I took 1 20mg IR Adderall and the other 4 IR Adderall about an hour later (100mg total)

3: I weigh 210lbs, I had a late lunch that day but I imagine there really wasn't much in my stomach

4: I felt nothing an hour after I took it. I didn't really feel the effects of it until I got home several hours later and couldn't sleep
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Hey, AS:

Sorry, in my email to you I asked if you were a guy or woman. Obviously you are a guy. I would also think maybe psychosomatic, except so many of your symptoms are expressive of a particular nervous system, that of autoregulation or the autononomic nervous system, and you have things going on with your exocrine glands that are not vague. I hope you don't give up on getting help.

Oftentimes, unusual presentations are best dealt with at the places that teach medicine to doctors. The medical school universities almost all have outpatient clinics and often free services and clinical trials of new drugs that people can opt into or out of.

In other words, start at the top and work down. Don't start at the bottom and work up. (doctor-wise, I mean)

I live right by the University of Arizona so maybe I could get some help there. I did have a brain MRI and the Neurologist ruled out anything Neurological. I just hate living like this! Feels like the end is near. It sucks!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you guys think I'll get an answer? You think I'll be able to get back to normal sometime soon? I just hate what has happened to me!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Could it be a thyroid problem?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

An MRI is only a picture of relatively large things, and may not be used to diagnose the kind of syndromes I was talking about. For most you need blood tests that are not always commonly done. Just because blood was taken from you, it doesn't mean all the possible tests were done on it. Some diseases are "diagnoses of exclusion," such as Sjögren's syndrome. In the example of Sjögren's, the average person does not get a diagnosis for almost 7 YEARS after the onset of symptoms, mostly because the doctor had never seen a case and didn't look for it. There are other syndromes like that. Thyroid is pretty simple to test for, and likely they ruled that out. The thyroid can be affected by Sjögren's and other syndromes, which is why a syndrome that that one is so hard to diagnose. The docs may be barking up the wrong tree.

There is a saying among medical people: "Common things happen commonly." Ask your doctor if that is not his mantra -- it probably is. Syndromes are named the way they are because they a a cluster of body systems being affected by something and not, say, "just" a thyroid problem for example.

Keep us posted. But don't think that just because a Neurologist told you it was nothing neurological that you don't have something that does affect the nervous system. That is why I suggested a Rheumatologist, because they specialize in auto immune syndromes such as Sjögren and arthritis, the latter of which is just a symptom and not a diagnosis by the way. If you Google Sjögren's syndrome, you will see the kind of blood tests they do to rule it out. You will also see a lot of your symptoms listed there. I doubt you have Sjögren's because it is an uncommon disorder, and I was just giving you an example of something obscure the doctors might not have even looked for. Especially since it commonly, but not always, strikes more women than men.

In answer to whether you will get an answer, or a diagnosis? Particularly in the case of women, some of them get batted around for years because "it is all in your head." Being a guy, you are more likely to be believed. By the way, the most genious among the docs I know are the most humble and the first to tell you they don't know everything. They are also the first to consult a colleague or refer you to someone who knows more than they do about a disease.

I would hit the autoimmune disorders clinic of the University of Arizona medical center. That is likely the Rheumatology department, but they mare call it more broadly "immune disease."
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi adderallsucks...check your private messages.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im dead tired but created an account right now just to reply to this message. I suffered almost the exact same symptoms, only it happened over a longer period. First month i was alright, second month felt slight tingling on a few occasions. I was hospitalized about 3 times the next month which i now know were all due to adderall ods. I had to figure that out on my own since about 10 different physicians told me I was fine and to continue taking the meds. Then it really went downhill the 4th month. I started getting rashes one after the other, most small slightly raised dots but others too (I'm 28 and have never even had a pimple in my life before this) extreme tingling and muscle pain, esp in my chest, left hand, knees, teethand back. My ankles turned dark blue on one occasion. My hands and feet turn red/blue/white all the time. I have skin mottling at times, the hair on my legs stopped growing, i bruise extremely easily, my circulation is terrible, i was diagnosed w an arrythmia, and am fatigued to the point of practically being bedridden. I had no sx and was the picture of health before taking this medication. Sorry for the sloppy writing, as I am tired. Will add more tomorrow if anyone's interested