Made it Through the Weekend :-)

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it Through the Weekend :-)

I went out of town last weekend and was doing something that before would have entailed drinking. I was with friends who know me to be a drinker and they were very surprised when I abstained. I managed though and I was out at dinner, where others were drinking wine with their meals, I was at a bar where the drinks were flowing and then alone in my hotel room (where normally I would have pacified myself with wine). I woke up with no hangovers - went to the gym, did my "events" for the weekend and drove home without being hungover.

It's been about 70 days now for me. Today, was also a bit of a struggle as I am alone tonight (hubby out of town) and previous to this I would have brought home a bottle of wine and enjoyed it without running the risk of being judged. I was able to overcome the thought by using AVRT. Instead, I bought a bottle of sparkling mineral water and enjoyed that while I soaked in the hot tub and enjoyed the warm spring air and sunshine.

Tomrrow I know I will wake up sans hangover and get to work without feeling crappy and spaced out.

I am so pleased as this past weekend was a MAJOR trigger and I did it.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job! Your life is now a checklist of situations in which you managed to stay sober, and you've just checked another one off the list.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ha! I would of done the same thing with hubby out of town
It feels good doesn't it
I really wonder what I was thinking when I was drinking. It was a half life. It was a hard life. I feel so much better now.
I must check out AVRT, have done this on my own so far, with the support of this wonderful forum of course
Keep up the good work!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job! I agree with the checklists...going through your firsts is a great feeling

I would have done the same thing when my husband was out of town except I'm not married so I did it every night.

:rotfxko
Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Azureseas:

AVRT stands for Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. You can go through a crash course here: https://rational.org/index.php?id=35 (it's free no charge).

It's a good tool. I've done all this by myself too and have only used this forum to gab here and there. AVRT is simply cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT).

Genie

Last edited by Genie; 04-07-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: corrected response.