Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

First Day of Detox...stay at home mom...and oh-so-ashamed

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok....I am READY to get off of these man made f*king DEVIL PILLS!!! I have about 15 pills left in my stash...i have been through withdraws before, and I just cannot do it again when I have to stay home and be a mother (yes I know taking pills is not the way either, which is why TODAY IS THE DAY!! Support and prayer is the next thing I need to help get me through this. Here is my plan - yes, I know will not work as well as going ct, but this is just what I have to do. This was also advised by my doc - wait till the withdraw effects get REALLY bad, and take a half of a pill. Everytime I feel like I am starting to withdraw, take another half. Dr. said do that for 48hrs, then reduce the dose to a fourth of a pill. Has anyone done this before?? Any advice, prayers, pep talks, encouragment, anything at all that all of you wonderful people have to offer me would be greatly appreciate. God bless you all <3 I am so scared.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Done trying.

its called tapering. honestly, i think that you should just go cold turkey. how many mgs of what drug have u been addicted to?

if you are tapering with just a half to a fourth of a pill, then it doesn't sound like you have that much tolerance at all. at such low doses as that, you may just be prolonging the withdrawals by taking any of the pills TBH. i would either do all of the pills now, or save a few for that one day that you are going to need it because u have something important to do during withdrawals.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd suggest C/T. If your an addict like me you probably won't have a successful taper. In my opinion the only thing that makes opiate detox easier is time. Time between you and your last high. I just went through detox. It's fresh in my mind. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Many of us have been where you are today and wish you well. I tapered and it worked for me - 112 days in recovery -but does not work for everyone.
If you only get your supply for your doctor and know that your last 15 pills are truly the last and have no other source (as was my situation), it really helped in the tapering process. The first few weeks are hard, so that is why many of us who can score pills easily cannot taper as they can find pills in an hour if needed. I could not get anymore for a minimum of 3 weeks, so I knew if I could go 3 weeks, I could probably make it. This is just me again and why tapering worked for me. I never waited until the WD got bad to take a dose though. I just went from 6 a day to 4 a day to 2 a day to 1 a day to nothing.
I had done CT in the past and the WD's were much worse as well. With my tapering, the WD's were not as bad, some restless legs, insomnia, sneezing, but except for sneezing all got better in about 3 to 5 days.
Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you are!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

ddod27

I posted on your other thread. Hang in there.

FT
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
College Graduate

Don't be ashamed, you have figured out waht to do, you know to get off of this. Stay strong. I am currently going through opiate withdrawal right now, so I will keep it short. I know it will get better.

I wish you luck and my thoughts are with you, you are doing this for yourself and the kids, and you can do it!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you all!! I have been on VERY large doses...100-150mg of hydros OR percs a day. I do expect some wd, but im hoping that my little tapering method will cut it down a bit. I just started a new job, and I really like the idea of going ct and saving my pills for when i have something important to do. I have decided that when I wake up in the morning, I will take 2 5mg, and hopefully nothing for the rest of the day. I feel like my brain is just so stuck in addict mode....im so ready for this change. these little devils have ruined me. im just not the same anymore.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
College Graduate

Hmmm, just my thought, but if you save those pills for later, and then you feel you don't need them, how about flushing them instead... just an idea
Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

fs, I believe that is a great idea!! This is my first week of my new job, so I have to have a back up plan, just in case I am just so miserable that I feel I cannot work. Also, a question for all of you fellow opiate abusers - did you ever experience severe abdominal pain after long term use?? I have been having HORRIBLE abdominal pain, and I just read about "Narcotic Bowel Syndrome"......????
Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
College Graduate

Yar, try some anti diaharia (spelling) medicine, and take some hot baths, it helps with the cramping. I also use some hot (HOT HOT) green tea, although there is caffeine in there so be careful of that.

P.S. I am not a doc, so if it gets too bad, you may need to call someone or go to the ER. This crap is poison so it is not going to let go without a fight
Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

ddod, what's your history? How long have you been using, and is it just this drug? If you're taking between 20-30 percocets a day, that's more than a doctor would prescribe. Do you use until you run out, or do you supplement with other sources? Do you drink, and if you do, is your drinking ever out of control?

I ask because from what you've said so far, it's not clear if you're an addict or if this is "recreation gone bad." Either way, I'd strongly caution against detox followed by the idea that you could use your remaining stash "when you need it." For most of us, that means a return to regular using.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please do not be ashamed, we all have been were you are and it takes alot of courage to quit. That is wonderful and I will pray for you. Pertaining to your Doc's suggestion...it is wise!!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FT

Bowels

Originally Posted by ddod27 View Post
fs, I believe that is a great idea!! This is my first week of my new job, so I have to have a back up plan, just in case I am just so miserable that I feel I cannot work. Also, a question for all of you fellow opiate abusers - did you ever experience severe abdominal pain after long term use?? I have been having HORRIBLE abdominal pain, and I just read about "Narcotic Bowel Syndrome"......????
Yes, the bowels are horrible in withdrawal. It is because opiates slow down peristalsis and cause constipation. In withdrawal, it's almost as though your bowels don't know what to do, and you will experience cramping, gas, constipation, diarrhea, mucus (ug), in no particular order. My bowels did not resemble anything close to normal for a month after I quit.

Hang in there. I vote for flushing the pills. Your dose was pretty high, but not as high as some who have done this. OFF the OXY HELL RIDE you go!