Notices

citalopram (Celexa)

Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

citalopram (Celexa)

hi just wondered if anyone had any experiances with this drug as a few people have recommended it to help with the many problems im dealing with and thought id get a honest answer from the great people here
thankks in advance
Richard
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It made me suicidal. I started taking all the pills in the house. Tramadol, Ativan, all kinds of fun stuff. I blacked out for about 3 days, and apparently threw up at Walgreens, and was carrying a dryer ball with me, telling the nurses that it was my friend, that you couldn't recognize her because she got her hair cut, weird stuff like that. When I finally came back around I was in the hospital. Glad I didn't actually kill myself, but I did mess myself up pretty bad.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i think ill give them a wide berth thanks
hope your better now
Old 03-19-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started citalopram a few months back. The doctor gave them to me just in time to help, although he had to increase it for it to be helpful. So far all is well. Everybody is different.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

Citalopram is working pretty well for me. Mirtazapine (Remeron) didn't. Whichever anti-depressant you take can feel odd at first. There's a good guide to citalopram on a website called nomorepanic - it might be worth a read...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi hope everyones feeling good i have just been to the dr and got prescribed 20 mg of Citalopram a day ill let you know how i get on with them
thanks for your support
Old 03-24-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my husband has been on it for years and it's fine for him..When I tried it, I felt nothing, no difference and I didn't like it. So it's not for me.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have not had Citalopram, but have tried several a/d's, I am on one now that seems to suit me. My OH is on it and it seems to suit him.

Why don't you google *mental health forum* its a specific site for all sorts of mental health problems. They are a fantastic community and very supportive. I discovered it about 2 years ago and its the best thing I ever did.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been on celexa for a year now, also on lamictal and abilify for bipolar. it was when my doc added celexa that my depression and anxiety lifted...so it works for me (no weight gain which i get worried about with anti-d's)...though everyone reacts diffferently.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Celexa helped me alot when I took it a few years back. no side effects really besides being somewhat tired.It was the paxil made me suicidal...............but everybody reacts differently.

Hope it works for ya. I know how frustrating it is to have to trial and error it.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

4 days in on 20mg a day feel ok not ant different real but probably take a while to kick in,atleasr i dont feel any worse which is a good thing,have meeting with drug worker tomorrow to decided were we go from here as im also on methadone diazapan reduction program, it was only getting blackmarket valium made realise when i got off them before my body recoverd but my mind didnt,so lets see what her advice on how to make me feel like i have for the last few weeks for,as i have had the best 2 weeks since i started on my reduction programs before,i got clean of diazapan before but it left me a recluse who cut of ties from the real world and i dont want to go back there,
As i right this i feel great and just want to feel like this all the time ,not like the depressed reclusive person i was before
thanks for you help and support it great to share with people that understand
Enjoy your day
Richard
Old 03-27-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I've been taking it for a little over a year, 7 I would give it a thumbs up. Don't get high on it, but it's a decent stablizer (?). Still get angry once in a while, but no more hissy fits....
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Citalopram was not the drug for me...I had some experiences on that drug . I experiences insomniac I have never before. Mostly i felt wired, anxious and jittery. Whet the drug was discontinued...I adjusted quickly. I don't like rapid changes in my mood and thought processes....kinda weird actually.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Celexa - is the Lexapro molecule chopped in half. They kept the 1/2 that works. I have been on Lexapro with no ill effects - it is an SSRI - it keeps more serontonin available for your brain.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

day 7 on citralapam and no adverse reactions yet although i have been taking more 10mg on top of my scripted 20mg of diazapan so need to ween this back down to my normal dose to see if there making the difference or the citralapam either way im feeling really good and been going out more and are socially more active,ill keep you updated on things go
chin up everyone
Richard
Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was on Citalopram 40 mgs to start but I experienced some jaw clenching and pdoc dropped it down to 20 mgs for several weeks, then back up to 40 mgs with no problems. It worked well until pdoc decided to add Nortriptyline. The combination threw me into a manic episode.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi all been away for the weekend something i never would of done 2 weeks ago,after sharing my problems here i decided to start on a course of citraloprm 20 mg a day and i have to say day by day i was getting better back to the old me.after 20 days of taking these i cant explain enough what a effect they have had on me.i am a new man or at least back to how i was before my life feel apart.i want to thank everyone who has helped me and if your having problems dont think like i used to that there addictive and all bad,
i was rock bottom a few weeks ago and if you could see or hear the change in ,me you would be amazed!!!!

im happy as they say they take a month to really kick in and if it inproves on this i can get back to be a valuable member of society, rather than the recluse i was.

all ill say is have a open mind they have worked wonders for me
Richard
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Glad they are working, Rizla. My Wellbutrin is doing the job, it appears, as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I'm starting on 20 mg tomorrow. I've tried many of the others with varying effects. The biggest problem I've had in the past is that I continued to smoke pot and drink which pretty much nullified any positive effects any meds would have. Clean and sober about a month or so now. Still trying to figure out the right meds to get me off the emotional rollercoaster. At least I feel like I'm heading in a better direction now.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was on it for 6 years, worked great but changed to Welbutrin for less sexual side affects.

On Zoloft I became practically Homocidal.

Earthworm