Notices

Addicted to Drama

Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to Drama

Hey, I hope this is the right place to put this, it seemed fitting, as I'm losing my mind!

So, I have always thought I had SO many different addictions, but after discussing some problems with some friends, they suggested that maybe I am really just addicted to drama! This is probably true, I thought-- all my addictions: drugs and alcohol, eating disorders, self injury, sex/people, shoplifting, even cigarettes, have caused drama in my life.

Whether I'm using or lying or cheating or stealing, whatever, I am always bringing drama into my life. I have a way of not hiding these things very well-- in fact, I am very open about my problems. I have tried to lie about it in the past, but wasn't fooling anyone, so I decided that I was going to do what I was going to do, and my loved ones would have to deal with it! So I stopped trying to 'get away' with stuff, and just started acting out. It was kind of a "F*ck you, I'm drunk" kind of thing... I figured if people didn't want to be hurt by my behavior, they could just stop caring so damn much, problem solved!

Anyway, I am now trying to straighten my life out. I have 29 days clean today (I've been trying for about a year now) and I'm realizing I need to work on my other drama. Right now that drama consists mostly of inappropriate relationships outside my marriage. I have cheated on my husband multiple times (he knows about it) and am always seeking attention from other men/women. I'm a huge flirt, which I thought was a big problem-- that I kept giving off the wrong signals or whatever. Really, though, I think this is a small part of a bigger problem-- I always find new ways to act out once I start "recovering" from one form of acting out.

I have tried to enjoy not having any drama in my life, but it always finds its way back in, and I'm sure that as long as I continue going to NA (which I plan to continue) there will be opportunities to engage in drama. I'm not sure how to resist it. Even if I weren't in NA, I'd create my own drama in some form or another-- I don't need anyone but my family to create drama.

How can I beat this addiction? I plan to put it through the steps with my sponsor, but I'd like other practical advice as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My daughter has been working on her sobriety. She's 23. Things were going ok, kind of quiet for a couple weeks, managing it....etc...then I didn't see her the whole weekend...

hadn't thought much about it, just went on about my business, then Monday.....I ask her what time she has to be at work, cause I give her a ride on my way to work....

she looks at me "AND SHE HAS A BLACK EYE"...I'm like WTF??? happened.

Well, of course I knew she drank, cause she wouldn't have that black eye if she didn't. She said, she got in a fight with another girl...............ahhhhhh lordy!

I asked her: "You just can't live without some DRAMA in your life, can you?" even if there isn't any she'll go out of her way to CREATE some!!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the things I think addicts/alcoholics find most difficult is things being 'normal', status quo. I think it is a rare person indeed with a substance problem who is NOT a drama addict... we just aren't comfortable if things are not chaotic, crazy, on the edge, on the verge, whatever phrase you want to use.

I believe that with sobriety comes maturity & with maturity comes a lack of selfishness & self-involvement if you work your recovery with true recovery in mind. People here with way more time on than me can probably state this more succinctly~~ but recovery isn't just about 'I don't shoot up anymore' 'I don't drink anymore', etc. It's about healing yourself in all aspects of life; physically, mentally, emotionally. You kinda really actually truly GROW UP for the first time. And with all that, in time, comes less & less of a need for~~ & then an actual aversion to~~ drama.

Congrats on those 29 days!