picking the right partner

Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fbr

picking the right partner

Hello,

I am brand new to this, and only in the last year have i begun to look at the effects of growing up with a functional alcoholic. The more I read, the more I accept that so many of both my better and worse qualities originated from the pain of this relationship with my father. Now at age 30, I am almost two years in to a relationship with someone in recovery. Through this relationship, I attempted to play out so many of the learned pains from my childhood, despite the fact that my partner is in recovery. I am wondering if I can do my own work to be able to love this person without fear, or whether by choosing a partner with these struggles, I am keeping myself in purgatory. It is such a struggle for me to trust that I am not going to somehow get hurt by her past addiction.

The more I read, the more I realize that I share many of the textbook symptoms. With that comes a different form of acceptance, and does almost allow for some forgiveness. I just want to make sure I don't pass these traits down to my future generations, and want to make sure I end up in a relationship that is both easy to feel supported in, and in turn easy for me to support. Also, I know I have struggled with the love / pity theme which I am seeing pop up in other threads of this nature.

Any thoughts or advice here is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Emotional Shutdown

I am in a similar situation, but I am in my 40's.

Have you tried Al-Anon? it's helped me a lot.

I chose a man just like my father. He has all of the great qualities my father had, and he is an alcoholic, just like my dad.

Keep coming back.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello fbr, and welcome to SoberRecovery.

I also recommend al-anon, it has done me worlds of good. You can learn all about it in the forum "next door"

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

At the top of each forum there are a group of posts called "sticky" posts. These are the ones that the members have chosen as exceptionally powerful, informative or moving. Take a little time to browse thru those, I think you'll find a lot of useful info there.

Mike