Notices

Written 10th step? Join me?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Written 10th step? Join me?

I apologize if this is already going on somewhere... but I thought it would be beneficial to start a daily written 10th step here. Maybe it'll help me with accountability.

So here goes... I probably won't post the whole outline each time but I thought it might help to get started...

10th Step Guidelines

It's a good idea to start with a prayer. For example:

"God, please help me review my day. Please grant me the willingness to see what you would have me see, in the light you would have me see it: free from morbid reflection, fear, obsessive guilt, and dishonesty."

The following guide is drawn verbatim from Alcoholics Anonymous (pp. 84-86):

1. Was I resentful? No

2. Selfish? A little- I'm recovering from an injury and have to take care of myself right now. Don't feel that it was a problem for anyone though.

3. Dishonest? No

4. Afraid? No

5. Do I owe an apology?No

6. Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once?No

7. Was I kind and loving toward all? I guess.

8. What could I have done better? Not had a bunch of girl scout cookies. But seriously, I did pretty well today. I guess I could have made some calls.

9.Was I thinking of myself most of the time? yes- again, recovering from an injury.

10. Or was I thinking of what I could do for others, what I could pack into the mainstream of life? SAA

11. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

At all times we continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up we:

1. Ask God at once to remove them.

2. We discuss them with someone immediately.

3. And make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone.

4. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help.

I got the list from:
10th Step Guidelines

I also like to add the positive things I did for the day.

Got some much needed rest which is good for the healing.
Took my daughter to sell her Girl Scout cookies.
Made food for the week.
Spent the day with my family.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And yes- I forgot last night. Which is why I need this thread! Nothing eventful yesterday- I'm still holed up at home. I got really irritated with my daughter who was definitely misbehaving badly- don't really know if that's avoidable. I didn't lash out at her though. She did get a grounding but she earned it. Other than that- life is slow due to this head injury. I'll check back tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boring, Boring, Boring.. lol I'm still at home and will be for a couple of weeks. I did get out with a sponsee yesterday, which was nice. Ive spent a lot of time on this forum, and got involved in a debate that will probably never be solved. But I don't think it was wrong for me to say what I said... anyhow, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and not feel the slightest bit sorry for myself because I know this is temporary. The head injury. It's hard to do a 10th step when you're at home all day. Not much to write about!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

1. Was I resentful? No

2. Selfish? Only as much as a normal human being

3. Dishonest? No

4. Afraid? No

5. Do I owe an apology? No

6. Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once? No

7. Was I kind and loving toward all? Yes

8. What could I have done better? I could have been a more patient person yesterday

9.Was I thinking of myself most of the time? Probably, yes

10. Or was I thinking of what I could do for others, what I could pack into the mainstream of life? I did manage to be helpful to others yesterday

11. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken. I need to be more patient with people and things. I need to work on excepting things as they are and not let myself attempt to control.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

In 4 yrs I don't think I've had ONE day where I could say no to all of the first 4.

Matter of fact, if I look closely enough, I don't recall a day where I couldn't find at least SOME influence of fear during the day.

Maybe I'll get there one of these days.....

-------

Edit....

Yanno, I'm GLAD my days aren't that "perfect" cuz when things are reeeeeally going my way and I think (or am deluded into believing) that I'm doing "that well," I'll tell ya what...... I sure as heck don't need God very much anymore.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I hope I looked hard enough.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been slacking here. I feel like I have nothing going on because I haven't been doing anything- but truth is I did get a little resentment earlier in the week. I think I'm done with it- or stopped it from developing. By talking about it on this forum. I think we are all selfish to an extent, I really only consider it if I'm stepping on someone's toes, developing resentments, etc. I am always slightly afraid, and should be afraid of things that are legitimately scary, and can cause harm, but I try not to live in fear. Progress~
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1. Was I resentful? No

2. Selfish? probably

3. Dishonest? to myself-yes- decided to buy a pack of cigarettes after a week of quitting

4. Afraid? yes- scared to gain weight after quitting smoking- afraid I won't stay on my food plan b/c I have been picking.

5. Do I owe an apology? No

6. Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once? No

7. Was I kind and loving toward all? Yes

8. What could I have done better? Not bought the pack of cigarettes, Not smoked 2 of them, not obsessed all day about it.

9.Was I thinking of myself most of the time? yes

10. Or was I thinking of what I could do for others, what I could pack into the mainstream of life? not really. I did go to a meeting with a sponsee but I really wanted to stay home.

11. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken. I already soaked the cigarettes so I don't have any left. I need to let the obsession go.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
In 4 yrs I don't think I've had ONE day where I could say no to all of the first 4.

Matter of fact, if I look closely enough, I don't recall a day where I couldn't find at least SOME influence of fear during the day.

Maybe I'll get there one of these days.....

-------

Edit....

Yanno, I'm GLAD my days aren't that "perfect" cuz when things are reeeeeally going my way and I think (or am deluded into believing) that I'm doing "that well," I'll tell ya what...... I sure as heck don't need God very much anymore.
a little fear can and probably will creep up now and then and I think it not too much to worry about when you have the tools we have.I prayed this little but powerful fear prayer several times this week,especially when I drove over that big Mississippi River bridge cause it scares me...lol
God please remove this fear and direct my attention to what you would have it be ( like my driving...lol... do not look down)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

ps
my sponsor points out to me that step 11 is the "when I retire at night step" and he calls step 10,the walking around step ...he is such a stickler..he used to call me and ask
how are you doing on "when we retire"?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'll give you guys an idea of what I meant above (here's today's...... so far )

1. Was I resentful? Yep - thought about that rude sob from the meeting Tuesday night.....about what I'll say to him next week & about how the conversation might go. - another "old" thought that I gave "safe harbor" to in my head.

2. Selfish? Yep. Didn't take my mom's call...even though I could have - just didn't feel like talking to her.

3. Dishonest? Yep - didn't give work my best today....yet, you can bet your bottom dollar I expect a FULL paycheck on payday

4. Afraid? Yep - didn't call a couple clients that I know I need to speak to because I was afraid they'd reject my suggestions. Also, didn't trust God in a couple instances because I didn't believe He'd take care of a situation.

5. Do I owe an apology? Yep - to God, mostly.... and to my mom for not answering and/or calling back sooner. Also to my employer. -- perhaps the better word would be amend.

6. Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once? Yep...but I speak to my sponsor every AM. I'll tell him tomorrow

7. Was I kind and loving toward all? Nope - already mentioned my mom...didn't take her call. Wasn't exactly kind and loving to not put in a full day's work and give it my best effort either (wasn't kind to myself, to God - for the gifts He's given me nor to my employer)

8. What could I have done better? Could have trusted God. Could have not tried.....again.....to rely upon self. Could have done a better job with my "conscious contact" with God today.

9.Was I thinking of myself most of the time? Not in my mind....but my actions would indicate it wasn't anywhere near "free of self" today.

10. Or was I thinking of what I could do for others, what I could pack into the mainstream of life? kinda/sorta....but this stuff got trumped by some selfishness and self-centeredness.

.....don't get me wrong. Today was a pretty good day for me. Compared to how they used to be, today was a GREAT day actually. I do a lot of writing and a lot of inventorying......and one of the "downsides" is that you discover more and more of your truth.....which, in turn, makes it easier to see shortcomings......which in turn reinforces my need for God - there's just no way for me to get it all right for a day - I still need lots of God's help.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

Originally Posted by dbearw View Post
I apologize if this is already going on somewhere... but I thought it would be beneficial to start a daily written 10th step here. Maybe it'll help me with accountability.

So here goes... I probably won't post the whole outline each time but I thought it might help to get started...

10th Step Guidelines

It's a good idea to start with a prayer. For example:

"God, please help me review my day. Please grant me the willingness to see what you would have me see, in the light you would have me see it: free from morbid reflection, fear, obsessive guilt, and dishonesty."

The following guide is drawn verbatim from Alcoholics Anonymous (pp. 84-86):

1. Was I resentful? No

2. Selfish? A little- I'm recovering from an injury and have to take care of myself right now. Don't feel that it was a problem for anyone though.

3. Dishonest? No

4. Afraid? No

5. Do I owe an apology?No

6. Have I kept something to myself which should be discussed with another person at once?No

7. Was I kind and loving toward all? I guess.

8. What could I have done better? Not had a bunch of girl scout cookies. But seriously, I did pretty well today. I guess I could have made some calls.

9.Was I thinking of myself most of the time? yes- again, recovering from an injury.

10. Or was I thinking of what I could do for others, what I could pack into the mainstream of life? SAA

11. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

At all times we continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up we:

1. Ask God at once to remove them.

2. We discuss them with someone immediately.

3. And make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone.

4. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help.

I got the list from:
10th Step Guidelines

I also like to add the positive things I did for the day.

Got some much needed rest which is good for the healing.
Took my daughter to sell her Girl Scout cookies.
Made food for the week.
Spent the day with my family.
this is step 11.....
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LetsGoJets View Post
this is step 11.....
Oh my gosh...... you're right! haha

I didn't even notice.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Oh my gosh...... you're right! haha

I didn't even notice.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

OK ok....... anyone wanna share their ELEVENTH step with the group?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am new to the 10 th and 11th step. I am not doing very well...emotions just all over the place.

Was I resentful? Yes...I am sad about my family problems and resentful that everything isn't perfect.

Selfish? Yes, can't seem to get out of my head and will...constantly trying to fix problems.

Dishonest? No.

Afraid? Always.

Do i owe an apology? No...except maybe to myself, for being so damn hard on myself.

Have i kept something to myself? No.

Was i kind and loving towards all? Yes, except maybe myself. I lost my temper with my son, but quickly apologized.

What could I have done better? Given up my will to God, stopped all the "morbid reflection."

Was I thinking of myself? Yes.

Or was i thinking of what I could do for others? No.

I am asking God for his forgiveness and guidance. 30 sober days today.
Have i kept something to myself
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

My 10th steps are done throughout the day. They include steps 4 through 9. Before my 11th, I do another general 10th, then I work 11, thanks to my spiritual advisor (sponsor).