Notices

i just don't know

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i just don't know

have you ever felt like everyone else in the world had the answers on how to live a normal, happy life? a life where drugs werent needed because your mind was in control of itself, never racing out of control with thoughts that you wish you could just erase? I have a problem, i know i do. i take anything i can to escape, to get a break from my mind. some days i feel really strong and optimistic that i can overcome this addiction, but its days like today that leave me wondering why i decided to quit in the first place. how do you guys overcome this part? i really just don't know..

*It is easy to get a thousand prescriptions but hard to get one single remedy*
Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've certainly felt like that. I don't know your story or what you quit, but I can tell you that YOU ARE WORTH IT! There will be days and times when you'll wonder why you're trying so hard and for what...in those moments you have to just be still and remind yourself that you are worth being FREE.

IWBF
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Welcome to SR and the Step One/Step Study forum,

have you ever felt like everyone else in the world had the answers on how to live a normal, happy life? a life where drugs werent needed because your mind was in control of itself, never racing out of control with thoughts that you wish you could just erase?
I can't say I've ever had those thoughts or feelings...at least I can't remember. What I do remember is feeling or believing that the way I was living was happy and "normal." I thought I was in control...at least it was that way in the beginning. I had no concept of addiction or recovery and I justified everything I did in the name of "being young and having fun." Unfortunately, as time went on, the drugs were using me instead of me using the drugs. I finally had to admit that I was powerless and my life had become unmanageable. The evidence was overwhelming that I didn't have a clue about what "normal" was...let alone living life on its own terms.

some days i feel really strong and optimistic that i can overcome this addiction, but its days like today that leave me wondering why i decided to quit in the first place. how do you guys overcome this part?
Because my disease lives between my ears (and wants me dead), I learned early on not to stay in that neighborhood too long. My disease will have me abandon any faith that I have so that I can return to its clutches. NA taught me that words mean very little until we put them into action....in other words, I can't think myself into better living, I have to live myself into better thinking. I've learned to overcome my fear or lack of faith by putting one foot in front of the other and continue to follow the path that has worked for countless other addicts. I also learned to stop placing unrealistic expectations on myself...I mean, how much greater is life supposed to be at 3, 6 or 9 months clean? Where is my gratitude for being clean TODAY? We don't become addicts overnight and we certainly don't recover overnight. It was best for me to simply take it easy and be grateful for where I am TODAY.

G
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

have you ever felt like everyone else in the world had the answers on how to live a normal, happy life? a life where drugs werent needed because your mind was in control of itself, never racing out of control with thoughts that you wish you could just erase?
It is hard to control your mind when you are constantly ingesting mind-altering substances. This is the "chicken or egg" dilemna that nearly every addict faces. Did the funky brain cause the drug use? Or did the drug use make the brain funky? I don't know the answer. If I did and could prove it, I'd probably be going to Oslo to pick up my nobel prize in medicine. I do know that I am a big proponent of the "live yourself into better thinking" and not "think yourself into better living" argument.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I can't think myself into better living, I have to live myself into better thinking"
i like that..definitely going to keep that in mind..thanks for that and thanks for responding. i like the support im already getting on here. it helps a lot