Notices

Failedtaper

Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Failedtaper

FT, I appreciate your post (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEEZ, Timebuster!) I must admit when I read "Hey baby!" I blush.

Why did I bow out of the thread? It's frustrating to argue the same point over and over agian to no avail. It's obvious that the poster wants to do it there way, and anything we say is going change there mind. I don't know about you FT, but when I was using and in the grip of addiction, the Foking OX did all the thinking and talking for me, not Timebuster. While using, I lived in another world. I rationalize and justify the most outrageous behavior. Even when others told me that I had a problem, I was convinced that I was right and the world was wrong. I used this belief to justify my self-destructive behavior. I developed a point of view that enabled me to pursue my addiction without concern for my own well-being. I experienced only periodic jolts of reality or self-awareness. It seemed that I was at least two people instead of one, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I ran around and tried to get my life together before my next run. Sometimes I could do this very well, but later, it was less important and more impossible. In the end, Dr. Jekyll died and Mr. Hyde took over. The addict, that is, supposes that he is making his own choices when in fact they are being made for him by his addiction. Yet obvious as this may be and frequently is to those around him, it is normally the most difficult thing of all for the addict himself to grasp or admit.

Caution: you’re entering the drug addict’s spin zone.

Usually, when you hear the words spin zone you think of politics, business, sports or Hollywood. “Spin” is another word used by public relations experts to cast a more favorable light on a person. In the world of the drug addict, Spin takes on a slightly different meaning as well. Drug addicts who are in active addiction will lie and tell you anything they think you want to hear, or that they feel they have to say at the moment. This isn’t a fantasy. It’s a fact. Even the most docile, mild-mannered, unassuming person can’t control what comes out of their mouth once they’re in the grip of addiction.

It must be noted that denial is an unconscious defense mechanism that is necessary for survival. None of us can survive our lives without a certain amount of denial to keep us in balance. But, with denial in regards to addiction, the denial is taken to an extreme and becomes unhealthy in that it becomes an obstacle to recovery.

TB
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Denial, shmenial.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Well said, timebuster

Hey Timebuster (chico!!) :ghug3

You are eloquent, and you are right. I am truly a neophyte in the "drug world" and I am just learning what people will accept or reject, and I do sense that I am straying into areas where my experience base is just not a fit for the situation.

I was once told not to continue to kick a dead horse, or a sleeping dog. I've also been told to put my ideas away where the sun don't shine, just occasionally, mind you.

I will continue to enjoy the wisdom of your words, Timebuster. I burned my soapbox last night.

FT
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timebuster View Post
Why did I bow out of the thread? It's frustrating to argue the same point over and over agian to no avail. It's obvious that the poster wants to do it there way, and anything we say is going change there mind.
*sigh*

After repeated instances where people claimed that I was not taking any advice given, I had offered to quote myself to show this to be untrue. I thought that would have been a waste of time, but I see the same thing has come up again... So, here we go!

From here:

I could waste a lot of time and go back through all my posts and show you how untrue this is by quoting myself... Let me know if this would help?

I have taken A LOT of advice here to heart and changed my "hard plan" quite a few times... A lot of my preconceived ideas of what I planned has changed (example: no Suboxone) due to the insightful and caring opinions that the good people here have taken time to offer me. However, this is a repeating argument here...so I can only assume that either a) People aren't reading what I post or b) If I don't subscribe to what worked for others, I'm "wrong" and assumptions are made...
From here:

Well, after the initial disheartening reply, the rest of the responses were exactly what I was looking for. For that, I give you my thanks.
From here:

Everyone here has been a great sound board. I have taken a lot of advice. The Withdraw Guide you provided in another tread, FT, is invaluable to me.
From here:

Welcome, Manwhosldthewld! You'll find a lot of people here are either doing the same thing as you are (detox/recovering) or have already succeeded with the rough patches and are staying sober. A lot of good advice is here...
From here (looking for advice!):

Any advice on that would be very helpful, as well.
Any advice is appreciated.
I am merely seeking advice on the most effective way to taper
I am also seeking advice on home remedies/OTC resolutions for assistance with symptoms of the detox process.
I do not seek medical advice, merely support for a subject matter that this forum seems to specialize in.
From here:

I want to provide as much information as I can to receive adequate advice and to outline my condition for other people to possibly relate to...so they know they are not suffering alone.

The information I am requesting has been given to other members, but it was specific to their needs, not mine.
Yet obvious as this may be and frequently is to those around him, it is normally the most difficult thing of all for the addict himself to grasp or admit.
I have both admitted and have a firm grasp of what my "addict brain" is doing. I have posted that many times on this forum. I guess those posts were missed as well?

Drug addicts who are in active addiction will lie and tell you anything they think you want to hear, or that they feel they have to say at the moment.
Apparently, I haven't said anything that the general posting crowd agrees with. It keeps boiling down to "Join NA or admit an addiction to Xanax...or you're lying!!" So, I don't get it when you say that I am just parroting what you guys "want me to say"?

TB, I have noticed from the start that you have been very critical of all the choices I am trying to make to get "clean". If it's not one thing, it's another. Your standards are pretty rigid and, if I stray outside of your predefined acceptable responses, I must be lying to the forum and myself. I believe this is a bit unrealistic.

Do you deny that I am trying to overcome my addiction?
Do you honestly believe I registered here, posting over 100 times, to convince complete strangers that I want to recover? Why would an individual do such a thing? Like I have said before...no one is forcing me to be here. However, it does seem that my presence has become unwelcome unless I "fall in line".
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I watched this thread carefully to see that the discussion was general and that nothing disparaging or specific to any one poster was said.

It wasn't.

I won't have running battles across threads, or disruption to the forum.

If you don't like the advice you're getting OOI, please use the ignore fuction.

D
Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I watched this thread carefully to see that the discussion was general and that nothing disparaging or specific to any one poster was said.

It wasn't.

I won't have running battles across threads, or disruption to the forum.

If you don't like the advice you're getting OOI, please use the ignore fuction.

D
I'm not at odds with the advice that I am getting, rather I am extremely grateful for it. I am only at odds with the idea that the acceptance of the advice that I am receiving is required in order to keep dialogue open between other posters and I. I have no ill feelings at all.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OOI I was told early on that the suggestions are free the only ones you have to pay for are the ones you dont take..............That said I believe that everyone is different I understand the BB says to try to see how we are the same not how we are different. For me not all the suggestions apply so as they say I take what you need and leave the rest. I have been participating and mostly reading this forum for years in my opinion anyone who comes here and stays for a while progresses in recovery.