Notices

getting of weed for good and other things

Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting of weed for good and other things

well hello everyone
ive been an addict my whole life.my dad was a drunk and i guess he passed it on to me.i drank and smoked weed daily.i was able to stop drinking like 13 years ago and never ever had looked back.
the weed is another story.i quit a few times with a year under my belt once.then several few month stretches that always ended with me getting high again.i cant describe how powerful the addiction is to the weed .im a nervous person that has huge anxiety.the weed makes me calm and not worry about a thing.it just has been my crutch forever and now its time to walk on my own two feet without crutches.i went to aa when i first quit drinking but it got to spiritual for me.i love god but if i want to talk about him ill go to church.i once got anti anxiety pills from my doc but they kept me up all night and gave me night sweats.i stopped that quickly.
i started taking ambian to sleep but kinda liked them to much and could chew 30 in a week.ive been totally clean now for about 3 days.
no lie im jonesing to smoke some hydro but at this point in my life[40] and wife being pregnant its time to come clean.idle hands are the devils playground and im trying to stay busy.any thoughts for me to dealwith the anxciety on my own?i hope to be a positive member here and look forward to interacting with you

Last edited by idletime; 03-02-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling in post title
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Idletime - welcome

I smoked weed daily for about 20 years.

Getting off it for me wasn't pleasant but not unbearable... it was mostly a mental thing - I was pretty twitchy and irritable for a week or two, but not much more than that.

It was nothing like getting off alcohol was for me.

I see you've had problems with booze and ambien tho too - ever thought of looking at why these addictions keep happening?

Maybe that's the key to getting clean for good? it was for me

Have you thought of getting some face to face help like NA, or SMART, or some counselling?

D
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would try to find the cause of the anxiety and deal with it. Could be a lot simpler than you think! Fix the broken leg and you won't have a need for a crutch!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, have you tried any face to face couselling or group therapy? I found counselling especially helped me to get to the root of my underlying causes and the reasons that I self medicated. Hope that you continue on this path and congratulations expecting your child
Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone already said what worked for me. You have to get to the bottom of the anxiety
it is a trigger and besides you will feel so much better.