Aca

Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aca

My sister just got me the ACA big book and I am going to my first meeting soon. I am excited as I know a little bit of what to expect as I have been in AA in and out for a while now. I'm so glad that my sister has seeked help on her own and that we will both be working the steps, it's the koolest thing! I wanted to ask if you suggest I get a separate sponser in this program and rework the steps with my other issues. I am on Step 9 in AA so I was looking for some advice on whether I should rework them from a different perspective. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know much about ACA but my AA sponsor has totally drilled into me that we never stop doing the steps. Also many other friends in AA have shared that they re-did the steps after a certain period of sobriety. Almost to a person thay have shared that they were more familiar with the process and did a better job the second time around.

I do not see a downside to working the steps again, JMHO.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello jhay, and pleased to "meet" you

That's awesome that both you and your sister are in recovery, totally kewl

Originally Posted by jhay View Post
.... I wanted to ask if you suggest I get a separate sponser in this program and rework the steps with my other issues....
Depends on your sponsor. Mine happens to work both programs so it works fine for us. He's also in OA, but I'm not, and I'm in al-anon, but he's not, so the whole multiple-program thing is normal for us. I know other folks who have a separate sponsor for each program, and that works for them. My g/f has a different one for AA, al-anon and OA.

Originally Posted by jhay View Post
.... I am on Step 9 in AA so I was looking for some advice on whether I should rework them from a different perspective. ....
That totally works for me. AA focuses on the harm we did others, and includes the harm we did to ourselves. ACoA is about the harm that was done _to_ us, and how we continued to repeat that harm once we were physically adults and out of direct control of our parents. AA is about a biological disorder in our brain that is triggered by chemical poisons ( the "disease" concept ), ACoA is about the emotional disorder in our brain that was caused by family poisoins ( the "toxic" family concept)

The healing process is almost identical, but what we are healing _from_ is very different.

Anyway, that's what works for me.

Mike
Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for the replies. My sponsor and I work the steps from an AA and NA respect, and I've decided it will be best to get another sponsor to work the ACA steps. Thank you for explaining more of the difference the steps are approached from in the different programs!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the Last year I have Consentrated on Tony As 12 Steps.
They are very self Fullfilling.......not selfish........... Extremely HP Connected.
On the ACA Official Site he explains them brilliantly.