Notices

Need sone words of wisdom please!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need sone words of wisdom please!

Hello all . This is my first post, but I think I might become a recurring member. I guess I'll just hope that whoever reads this is indeed doing it by choice so I'm not being an annoyance. I'll start by saying that I am absolutely terrified of drugs and alcohol, and I really have been for quite awhile now, but there was a period in my life where I thought quite differently about all of that.
You see for about five years I was heavy heavy into smoking marijuana and cigarettes. As a teenager I used a heavy amount of alcohol and I realized it wasn't for me pretty quickly, going as far as to label myself an alcoholic after two-three sessions of vomiting. I was afraid. Growing up, I heard nothing but horror stories about drug use.
The thing is, 40 days ago, I had this wild , wild dream and it made me finally decide that, even though I'm not a drinker to begin with, and even though I thought marijuana "wasn't addictive" that I was going to call it quits for good anyways. I say now that I've never felt better. 40 days clean of both marijuana and cigarettes.
The thing is I've also made the decision that, though I haven't drank to get drunk in at least three years, I'm also going to try never even taking one sip of booze again!
It all seems quite easy but the main problem I'm already beginning to see is that my social life has gone all but down the tubes since I made these "radical" choices, and it's making me horribly sad! I want to have friends, but I don't feel like I am strong enough in my convictions to hang around drunks and drug users. Am I nuts for completely shutting these people out of my life?

Also, I am an aspiring musician as my username implies. Throughout my drug abuse, I somehow managed to keep my practice habits up and actually became pretty good! I am very eager to get out into the world and start performing....but all the places to perform are loaded with temptation! What the hell guys.... Thanks for any advice in advance...I really just need someone to talk to I suppose...- THE SINGIN' KID
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you think your social life is in the tubes now, try 3-4 years of heavy drug addiction and see where you end up.

Just kidding. You don't want to see that.

I know what you're facing right now and it is scary, but here's the thing:

The reality of people who "need" drugs and alcohol to maintain their social life is that they are addicts who are locking down their emotional development from further growth. When they come off drugs in 5, 10, 15 years they will have to re-learn the skills their non-addict peers have had all that time to develop. The question is whether one has the courage to face the world with the sobriety necessary for this re-learning.

You will have plenty of people to talk to here. I'm not really in a place to say "Welcome home" but what the hell, "WELCOME HOME."
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theSinginKid89 View Post
Hello all . This is my first post, but I think I might become a recurring member. I guess I'll just hope that whoever reads this is indeed doing it by choice so I'm not being an annoyance. I'll start by saying that I am absolutely terrified of drugs and alcohol, and I really have been for quite awhile now, but there was a period in my life where I thought quite differently about all of that.
You see for about five years I was heavy heavy into smoking marijuana and cigarettes. As a teenager I used a heavy amount of alcohol and I realized it wasn't for me pretty quickly, going as far as to label myself an alcoholic after two-three sessions of vomiting. I was afraid. Growing up, I heard nothing but horror stories about drug use.
The thing is, 40 days ago, I had this wild , wild dream and it made me finally decide that, even though I'm not a drinker to begin with, and even though I thought marijuana "wasn't addictive" that I was going to call it quits for good anyways. I say now that I've never felt better. 40 days clean of both marijuana and cigarettes.
The thing is I've also made the decision that, though I haven't drank to get drunk in at least three years, I'm also going to try never even taking one sip of booze again!
It all seems quite easy but the main problem I'm already beginning to see is that my social life has gone all but down the tubes since I made these "radical" choices, and it's making me horribly sad! I want to have friends, but I don't feel like I am strong enough in my convictions to hang around drunks and drug users. Am I nuts for completely shutting these people out of my life?

Also, I am an aspiring musician as my username implies. Throughout my drug abuse, I somehow managed to keep my practice habits up and actually became pretty good! I am very eager to get out into the world and start performing....but all the places to perform are loaded with temptation! What the hell guys.... Thanks for any advice in advance...I really just need someone to talk to I suppose...- THE SINGIN' KID
There should be some Christian Youth Groups in your area...maybe even some that are based on musical performance. Worth checking into. You can be straight edge and still have fun with friends that have the same interests (or rather, the lack of those interests).
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not again

If anyone ask, you tell'em I said you did the right thing. Doesn't mean much, but atleast you'll know you have my support.

Larry
Old 03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys I really appreciate the responses! =)
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR

I am also a musician...was hooked on booze pot and cigarettes too and whatever else came my way...but I decided to go with the flow...I partied for 20 years or so - partied away my self respect, my reputation, my career and my talent...and I nearly killed myself in to the bargain.

You're so wise to look at this now.

Let other people do what they do....you do what you do - be the sober guy - put the music first...be a musician, not a rock star

I've found sober musicians to jam with since I got into recovery - I know you will too - they're out there...you just have to look for them.

Good to have you with us.

I'm old enough to be your dad LOL but there's an under 30 thread in the newcomers section you might want to check out too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

D
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

be careful not to quit too much too fast. If you're stressed, don't feel bad if you pick up cigarettes again, and remember cigs and drugs don't have to go hand in hand.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still checking into this forum and reading. I love the last two responses!! You guys are helping to keep me strong. I'm on day 55 now and it's gotten MUCH easier =) ! My mood is bright again...I'm feeling a way I haven't felt in years!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not again

Nice,

Glad to see you stopping back.
So what do you do when you're not getting high?

Larry
Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find it terribly ironic Larry that as I check this the number of posts you have is precisely 420. Lately, I feel that number is endlessly harassing me. At any rate, I do pretty much the same stuff sober that I used to do stoned. Only I notice I seem to be more engaged in it now..I seem to be more there. Its hard to explain.

I read a lot of religious texts...Bible, Buddhist stuff, etc.

For example I remember when I used to run out of weed I used to start reading books and then, as I was reading, I'd say to myself "Gee, why dont you ever do this. I bet it's cause you are always stoned" But eventually the dealer would call, I'd think nothing of it, and I'd be high again. For weeks.

I've also gone about giving myself little gifts (small trinkets, cds, tshirts) to celebrate the money I'm not spending on things that used to vanish.

I'm also trying to help other friends "see the proverbial light" but I can tell they aren't interested, so I've mostly cut contact with them all. My attitude is far more positive than it ever was when I was a st oner (I thought it was cool to be a negative nancy with no hope back then). Now I see that there is nothing better than having a smile on face and a spring in your step!

I only hope I can find a girl who feels the same way about these things in life soon.

Best regards, and thanks for the inquiry!. - The singin' kid
Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not again

Excellent, that all really sounds good, I am so glad you can see the positive, that's a talent I often lack, but I am working on it.

420 eh? this too shall pass, and I think it did a while back.

And just for your information, weed was my drug of choice, crack was my drug of chaos.
I battle with the desire to smoke a bowl, not so with crack because that would be stupid. But oh, how I miss the herb.
I have been going through a break up and hate sitting alone at home and the thought of how smoking a blunt would help keeps popping up. But...I think I am beginning to realize alot about what life really is. And part of that is suffering and loss which makes us greive. And the hard and deeper we do only indicates the amount of love we had invested in the relationship. For me it was alot, perhaps to qiuckly being that I am fresh in recovery. I think I replaced getting high with being in love and now that it is out of my reach I feel the need or desire to fill that hole in my heart. And then I think I really should just acknowledge the pain and let it take it's course. Because if I were to mask it with the weed I might find it didn't do it completely and I could poosibly return to the chaos of crack and I fear that more than anything.
So keep your head up, look for the good and God will do the rest.

Sincerely
Larry