Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Posted this in Jan on day 82 & still sober today-Step 4

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had posted this way back in January while I was going through some isolation. I just got a nice part time job which will help immensely with isolation. I am retired on SS Disability and haven't worked in a year. IF you only knew how I got the job the only conclusion I can come up with is it is a gift from God. This really fine company found me, I don't know how. Very good money and expenses for part time work. Anyhow, the past few months I have struggled although haven't taken a drug/painkiller or had a drink Thank God. After devoting myself to why I was still having problems I figured out that it was step 4 standing in my way. I called my sponsor and wonderful counselors I had in rehab and got the help I needed. I'm working on it now. I think many of us don't realize how important step 4 is. To me it's the most important action step out there. Nothing else compares in my opinion. A friend of mine who was in rehab with me has already faltered 3 times since we both got out in November. When I suggested to him that his concern might also be Step 4, he took listen to what I had to say. You'll never know how good I feel. Praying is working for me and so is joining the Catholic Church. I feel so much better about me. Still pain and a lot of stiffness from my Ankylosing Spondylitis but now I don't sit in judgment of others, I'm not indifferent to my family and loved ones and I feel better about me. I just wanted to share that with all of you especially the step 4 scenario. God bless all of you and continue the good fight. I'll post this to the newcomer section as well because I'm not sure when one stops being a newcomer.

01-14-2011, 05:27 PM - below
My other question is I have had a tendency to isolate myself especially now that I'm retired on disability. When I first got out I went to Mass, meetings and now in the last two weeks I have returned to my old isolation ways. I haven't used or had a drink and really have no desire despite the physical pain. I read somewhere that I could be described as a "dry drunk" which I know isn't good. I've also kept my moods positive around my family as I refuse to be like I was before, so judgmental and angry although not towards my family. Any help, advice would be appreciated. Thanks and God bless.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your clean time and an incredible sounding job!!

I'm right where you are with step 4. I work on it a little bit every day. That's about all I can do on a daily basis - a little bit. At over 8 months sober for me, I still go to daily meetings (NA and AA), meet with my sponsor at least once a week, go to my rehab aftercare once a week and see my psychiatrist once a month. Lucky for me my psychiatrist is also a recovering addict and as part of his recovery program became a psychotherapist. So not only does he manage my meds, he's helping me manage my mind.

So keep up the good work! I'm just about half-way done with my step 4. It is my priority at this point in time and hope to be done with it and drop both 4 and 5 at the end of this week.