Notices

Help with angry, depressed brother

Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with angry, depressed brother

maybe someone here has a similar situation.. id like to hear how someone else handled this. things got pretty bad and i had to move back in with my parents for a while. my brother lives with them also. i believe he suffers from depression along with a couple of medical issues such as chronic migraines. whenever something goes wrong, or he gets a headache, (and ill never know how severe they really are) he falls into this black hole. he slams around the
place cursing here and there. if spoken to he responds very negatively with something along the lines of nothing ever changing, why bother, i should just give up. He completely shuts down during these periods and is extrememly difficult to deal with. he's never physically violent, may only slam a door and yell or something. occasionly breaking something perhaps. The problem is the negative vibe he gives off and the tension it creates in the place. everyone is walking on eggshells around him. he becomes quite unreasonable and difficult to deal with. he has a long history of mental health issues, namely depression, but has made significant progress the last few years. he doesnt see it though. he is otherwise a loving, intelligent, capable person. its frustrating to see him in these dark moods and not be able to do anything for him. its also frustrating to live in the tense enviornment the moods create. so im caught between caring and wanting to help and being really pissed off and wanting to yell, "shut the f*** up already!" having never suffered from clinical depression or any real health issues myself, i cannot personally understand what he's going through. i used to spend a lot of time trying to talk to him. change him. get him to see things my way. try to talk him out of a mood and into a better one, usually just so my family could relax. after a hard day at work my mother doesnt want to come home to that crap. but i dont do that anymore. he's been behaving this way for a long time and ive never changed it before, i dont believe i can change it now. i wish i could. i would sacrifice so much of myself if i knew it would give him a happy healthy life. and i know he would do the same for me. i love my brother very much and would do anything in the world for him, but i hate the tension, the walking on eggshells, the difficult situation that his moods create. i cannot imagine anything i could possibly say to him that would not be met with "ive tried that, doesnt work. nothing works. whats the point i should just die." theres a lot more to it that what ive written here but thats the synopsis. and its strange, 30 minutes ago i could here him swearing and slammed the door. just now he came into my room in a seemingly normal mood and asked what i was up too. im confused. it seems there may be some pattern to the behavior, some bi-polar manic thing going on. but i dont want to get into trying to diagnose his problems. im just hoping someone has a similar experiece and wouldnt mind sharing how they've dealt with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has he seen a professional, like a psychologist or psychiatrist? Looks like he needs help.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We can not really tell what to do, unless you have brought him to a professional therapist or psychiatrist. You need to have him evaluated by a professional if he have several of the symptoms of depression or bipolar for more than 2 weeks or if any of these symptoms cause such a big change that your brother can't keep up his usual routine. Maybe then they can diagnose what he is suffering.

Are your parents aware of your brother's condition? Have you open up this matter to them?

They should be the one to handle this things but you can help as well.