Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Shortness of Breath biggest problem while going through WD

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a user of what people call "roxys" I take about 4-5 every other day. on the days that I do not use, my biggest withdrawal issue is my shortness of breath. Anybody have any comments on this situation? i honestly feel that I will be able to stop cold turkey if my shortness of breath issue significantly went away.

Thanks in advance all.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Of course, we can't give you medical advice on this forum, but your post leaves me with some questions.

Shortness of breath means different things depending on who you ask. A lot of people use that term to mean they can't seem to take a nice, deep easy breath and feel like they can't get enough air in their lungs. It is a common thing with anxiety, and that's the first thing I thought of. If you never feel this way on Roxy's, you may be feeling anxious and would usually just pop one to feel relaxed again. The fix for that is taught by lots of mediation type folks, or to women in labor (ha), where you pace your breaths evenly, while trying to puff out your belly with each breath. It takes some practice, but you get the hang of it.

Medically concerning shortness of breath usually means it hurts to breathe, or truly can't get enough oxygen, which would then cause symptoms like blue lips, fainting, chest pressure with or without pain, and the like. Tingling or dizziness is common with anxiety related shortness of breath, and feels the same as hyperventilating.

If you think you are truly short of breath, you should see your doctor. And tell them about the Roxys, so maybe they can help you get off of them.