Slowing it down.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slowing it down.

This Saturday I took a massive step back. During a conversation I blew it out of whack and immediately assumed the other person was attacking me. Later I apologized and adjusted. Luckily the person it was with understands as best as another person can, how I can act sometimes. I spent the whole evening embarrassed and mad at myself for acting how I had months ago. I had worked very hard on not reacting like that, on giving myself time to process before reacting and thus no longer being the aca in that respect. I forgave myself before the end of the night because it's a learning process, and I learned not to be so cocky about how far I've come. An annoying but helpful reminder.

Today I came home, and my dogs had destroyed the house. Usually I would have fought with my temper and let them outside before it could take over. Instead I was able to grab control and take a couple deep breaths. In the end I forced the dogs to calm down, calmly told the "guilty" party she was a bad dog, then let them all outside.

The part that is so hard is the impulsivity that is created in my temperment. Alcoholics are impulsive and thus I have learned to be just as impulsive to combat that tendency. I jump to solutions before knowing the whole thing, because if I wait to long it may change. I jump to reactions because I feel its the only way to control the situation. There's that fun little world, control. It's a big web of lies and issues that were created growing up in that world.

One thing I need to remind myself daily is; slow down. I'm no longer on a carival ride spinning out of control. The only way that carnival ride speeds up or slows down is at my hands now. So Deep Breath.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Things went sour between this same friend and I a day or so ago. She's seems a little bothered and tonight was a tense but quiet night. Yet by the end she seemed to appreciate that I respected her being upset and allowed her to be without flipping. Stupid but reading this its such a difference.